Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a year when people have been staying at home more than ever, many have turned to home cooking as a creative outlet. To make things easier for amateur chefs, Sam Sifton, food editor of The New York Times and co-founder of the wildly popular NYT Cooking, suggests "no-recipe" cooking. Simply put, these "recipes" act as abbreviated guides for cooking unfussy, delicious meals, and Sifton collected some of his favorites in The New York Times Cooking No-Recipe Recipes.

The cookbook features 100 no-recipe meals with beautiful and vibrant photography. For each meal, you'll see what is essentially a brief rundown on how to make it, complete with pressure-free suggestions and plenty of leeway for personal taste and improvisation. Meals like Fried Egg Quesadillas, Weeknight Fried Rice, and Teriyaki Salmon with Mixed Greens are presented in the book with a photo, a basic breakdown of the ingredients, some tips, and potential modifications.

Continued below.
This <em>New York Times</em> Cookbook Wants to Teach You to Make a Meal Without A Recipe

Reactions: Shane R

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I love this idea as a way to get people used to experimenting in the kitchen. One of my favorite cookbooks does something similar, in where they have a recipe and then additional dishes you can make with the same techniques and slightly different ingredients.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Have you had much experience with medieval cookbooks? I ordered a course called "Cooking across the Ages" from the Great Courses. Many of the early units don't so much have a recipe but a list of ingredients and some brief comments on cooking method. Spicing is always very flexible. It was an interesting and enjoyable course.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any recipe is a suggestion based upon an explanation of how one person went about doing things. One should follow one's own instincts as to how one would like something to taste.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a year when people have been staying at home more than ever, many have turned to home cooking as a creative outlet. To make things easier for amateur chefs, Sam Sifton, food editor of The New York Times and co-founder of the wildly popular NYT Cooking, suggests "no-recipe" cooking. Simply put, these "recipes" act as abbreviated guides for cooking unfussy, delicious meals, and Sifton collected some of his favorites in The New York Times Cooking No-Recipe Recipes.

The cookbook features 100 no-recipe meals with beautiful and vibrant photography. For each meal, you'll see what is essentially a brief rundown on how to make it, complete with pressure-free suggestions and plenty of leeway for personal taste and improvisation. Meals like Fried Egg Quesadillas, Weeknight Fried Rice, and Teriyaki Salmon with Mixed Greens are presented in the book with a photo, a basic breakdown of the ingredients, some tips, and potential modifications.

Continued below.
This <em>New York Times</em> Cookbook Wants to Teach You to Make a Meal Without A Recipe

JS: I already do this and I'm working the same into the baking of gluten free breads in my own updated gluten free cookbook. Still I glad to see another cookbook doing the same. It may be worth picking up. Who knows you may become and inventive cook as well.

• Winner
Upvote 0