• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

This Means WAR: The ObamaCare Betrayal By Senators Capito And Murkowski Can Never Be Forgotten

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by NightHawkeye, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,909
    Anglican
    Married
    That isn't the issue. Hold them accountable, if you insist. I am sure that you would do something of that sort no matter how this turned out.

But if we are to be honest about this, a two-vote margin is nothing that the Democrats faced and they still couldn't get their bill passed in less than a year and a half...and it took at least one Republican to join them at that! Gloating is fun and easy; but making a fair comparison is something we should expect, too.

2. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,445
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I don't think you have any clear benchmark on when to hold the republicans accountable. I think that as long as they don't reach their goals, in your mind it is the devious democrats' fault, no matter the facts of the matter.

3. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane M.I.A.

+3,547
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    They did? What was the general response from the insurance companies (like Blue Cross or Blue Shield for example) and the AMA?

4. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,909
    Anglican
    Married
    Then you probably haven't been following these discussions very closely. That's not my fault.

5. Nithavela

Nithavela Cool catchphrase goes here

+15,445
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    One of the problems of talking with you is that as soon as someone tries to talk about your viewpoints, they are, as far as you say, invariably wrong.

Have you ever wondered if perhaps you are doing a bad job of representing your viewpoints if people keep missunderstanding you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,909
    Anglican
    Married
    :sigh: Yes. They did. Cross my heart and pinky finger swear. End of discussion.

7. PeachyKeane

PeachyKeane M.I.A.

+3,547
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    And they endorsed the bill, did they?

I ask because it seems the AMA wasn't so keen on it, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield say it's unworkable.

But you're saying these groups all endorsed the bill, right?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  8. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,602
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    If the bill was written behind closed doors, why can I remember listening to debates on the floor of both the House and the Senate?
    This bill was written and attempted to be voted on over a period of a few weeks. Just how much time did they have to meet with their constitutes across their state?
    Not when they wrote this bill. Kaiser said it was a bad bill, BCBS said it would cause premiums to rise, did they listen, did they care.

9. Hank77

+13,602
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I posted your direct quote.
    Now if I am misunderstanding what you said, I would appreciate you explaining what you meant.

10. Hank77

+13,602
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Did McCain and Lieberman vote for the good of their state or did they vote what they thought was for the good of the country?
    If they voted for what they believed was for the good of their state then they were doing their job.

11. Evan Jellicoe

Evan Jellicoe Well-Known Member

+830
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    “What would Jesus do?” long ago became a tired cliché, and yet sometimes I pull it back out and think on it.

Even in the Old Testament, with that God of (supposedly) fear and death and wrath and judgment, God’s people are told to value love and mercy among the greatest of goods. They were further told, “When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.” [Leviticus 19:33-34].

Sometimes I hear it said that all “charity” is to be performed by individuals, voluntary organizations, and churches, and that the federal government has no Constitutional right to spend money in this way. I, and many, many other Bible-believing Christians, do not believe that this is what the Bible commands. My fellow American is my brother or sister, whether or not we share membership in the same church or denomination, or even if they are not even Christian, and the Constitution—a secular document—empowers the government to “provide for the General Welfare.” This certainly can include making it possible for all to receive decent medical care if the People, through their Representatives, choose to do so. At this time the majority of the American People would prefer that the ACA not be abolished. The People might not be right, but what do you think God thinks? After all, He is the one in charge, through His Son.

We know this because Jesus Himself said, “Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord' and do not do what I say?” [Luke 6:46]. We are all responsible to do what He wants us to do, not to expect Him to support what we decide. He is the Master, not the powerful genie in the bottle. So, what do you believe, based on your current reading and understanding of Scripture, Jesus wants you and me to do regarding assisting people who need help with unaffordable medical necessities? I don’t mean this as a challenge to search the Bible to find verses that prove you are right. I mean what is your belief, right now, based on what you already know of Scripture? What do you believe Jesus wants you and me to do? And why?

Evan

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+30,909
    Anglican
    Married
    Read the sequence of posts and quotes, and the confusion should be cleared up for you.

13. camille70

camille70 Newbie Supporter

+3,341
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Agreed. Now maybe they will vote foe sensible gun reforms.

14. CitizenD

CitizenD Well-Known Member

+1,307
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's weird. I thought elected politicians worked for their constituents, not their parties.

Maybe I'm just being arrogant in invoking constitutional law.

15. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+7,138
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Especially the last 6 months.

16. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,849
    Agnostic
    Single
    They didn't universally campaign on that promise unconditionally, neither did Trump himself.

17. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,849
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well if the polls are to be believed the voters think these plans stink.

It is almost as if when republicans started talking about what they actually wanted to do, the entire debate became about reality instead of whatever fantasy people believed before the election.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,849
    Agnostic
    Single
    The Republicans tactics on this have been pretty abysmal, and you are right the processes are not comparable at all.

The Republicans crafted all their bills in secret without even involving everyone in their whole party and have yet to find anything that they can all unite behind nor have they been able to strong arm the people they haven't involved in the process.

When they bring it up to a vote the people who were never on board are still not. Which should not be surprising to anyone.

I honestly can't tell if the issue is the lack of imagination, ability or will to craft a better bill and get everyone they need to involved.

Or, perhaps it is just laziness. The idea that they will be perpetually rewarded without doing any real work on an issue. I wonder why the senators feel so entitled to easy wins...

Probably because republicans will vote for a crumpled up sweat sock as long as it has an R after it's name.

19. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    This is what some conservatives believe. We'll see in 2018. Perhaps, the Republicans will be able to convince their base that they failed in meeting their goals, even with a Republican president, a Republican House and a Republican Senate.

They campaigned on more that just repeal (or repeal and replace). They asked the American people to give them a senate majority and the presidency, SO THAT THERE WOULD BE NO ROOM FOR EXCUSE.
    McConnell understands this. Ryan understands this. Sometimes, even Trump understands this.

20. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,219
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I wonder why the people would reject a plan to take $1TRILLION dollars out federally funding for their healthcare?