Boyert1969

Jan 24, 2015
Granite City, IL
✟15,142.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1. Where do I learn how to pray? :confused: I see people and pastors pray with such reverence but when I try I get tounge tied and can't think of what to say.

2. When I am trying to read the bible I get bad thoughts (usually about sex) and I get drawn away from God's word. It happens at church too. I'll be listening to the sermon or musin and I start thinking about inappropriate content (I have a inappropriate content addiction I'm trying to beat), horror movies, etc. I think it may be the enemy trying to stop me from following Christ. :(

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Where do I learn how to pray? :confused: I see people and pastors pray with such reverence but when I try I get tounge tied and can't think of what to say.

2. When I am trying to read the bible I get bad thoughts (usually about sex) and I get drawn away from God's word. It happens at church too. I'll be listening to the sermon or musin and I start thinking about inappropriate content (I have a inappropriate content addiction I'm trying to beat), horror movies, etc. I think it may be the enemy trying to stop me from following Christ. :(

1. We don't know what to pray so the Spirit helps us. Have you been baptized in the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? That makes it a lot easier and in our church we pray the Bible, there are texts you can pray and there are prayers you can pray for people to get saved, also based on the Bible.

2. Get set free from it, it's demonic. You can listen to T.B. Joshua or Derek Prince praying for deliverance if they don't do that in your church and then stop watching horror movies and such. My ex was addicted to watching filthy movies and he wanted to throw the television out of the window, but he just did it out of his house.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know the Lord's Prayer? Matthew 6:9-13

It's such a great prayer because you can focus on the different portions and apply it to your own life. Don't give up because your other thoughts intrude...keep trying. God knows your struggles.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

*1. I came across this recently on Bible Study Planet and I thought
it was a good guide to help someone pray, It's called The 5 Finger Prayer;
I saved it on my computer for future reference.

The Five Finger Prayer is a simple guide we can use when we pray.

1) Your Thumb is nearest to you

So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones is, as C.S. Lewis once said “sweet duty.”

While praying for our loved ones is easy the Bible also tells us to pray for our enemies who, in a negative way, are also near us.

“Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you. (Matthew 5:44) And again, “Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate when people say unkind things about you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it.” (1 Peter 3:9)

2) The next finger is the Pointing Finger

The pointing finger reminds us of those who instruct so pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers. These men and women have great influence on society and we should pray that they display and teach godly principles in all they do.

3) The next finger is the Tallest Finger

Our tallest finger reminds us of those who are in charge. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God’s guidance.

When the king of Nineveh prayed to God he saved his nation from destruction (Jonah 3:6-10). We should pray that our decision makers repent and seek God’s will as they lead us.

4) The fourth finger is our Ring Finger

The ring finger is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.

The Bible tells us that all who believe in Christ are “one body” (1 Corinthians 12:12) and that we are to “bear one another burdens”. We should “pray for one another,” James 5:16 tells us that, because “the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”

Praying for others is a way of serving those around us and serving is what gives us purpose to life. “If you love Me,” Jesus said, “feed My sheep.” Praying for those in need is one way to feed Christ’s sheep.

5) And lastly comes our Little Finger

The smallest finger of all. Which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, “The least shall be the greatest among you.” Your Pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself.

By the time you have prayed for the other four groups, your own needs will be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.

When praying for ourselves we should first confess our sins because sin breaks fellowship with God and we don’t want to be out of fellowship with Him. No matter how badly we’ve sin take heart and know that “He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Then we should give thanks for all the blessings we have been given, “Offer to God thanksgiving, and pray your vows to the Most High” (Psalm 50:14)

And finally we lay out what is on our heart, the good and the bad, and we pray that God’s will be done in our life. The Father loves you very much and will always do what is best for you. Trust Him and He will lead you and cause all things to work together for the good of those who love Him. (Romans 8:28)

Lastly, I recommend the full armor of God study, the link is below:
David Jeremiah - Spiritual Warfare

Upvote 0
K

Kingsdotter

- I suggest you read Psalms. David knew how to communicate with God, you can learn from him

- There is a section on CF for men struggling with inappropriate content addiction, it may be helpful to find out how other guys are coping with their addiction

Upvote 0