This is why we don't defund police

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Deputies responded to a simple welfare check. Something the refund the police crowd would like to be handled by social workers. The male had a history of emotional issues. Something that seems prime for social workers not for police.

The guy then opens the door and shoots. If that would have been a social worker. He\she would have been killed. As it was a scary moment for police.

And some would like to say that police work really isn't dangerous.

WARNING THE VIDEO LINK IN THE STORY HAS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE. YOU DONT HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEO.

Dramatic video released of man shooting at Warren County deputy

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Wow! I'm glad she was ok. That would be harrowing.

Couple of things.
Mental health support and social work are inherently dangerous jobs already. My coworker was stabbed in the neck. I got a bruised rib. I know many people injured working with that clientwyw. Frankly I think in my home town social worker deaths are not that far off police deaths.

What if and I'm not saying this as fact, but what if having a police officer come instead of a counsellor triggered a response like that. Fwiw if dude looked through his security peep hole and saw the pacing dude in white (I can hear the inner dialogue of the manic schizophrenic) and the cop tucked around the door, that's gonna trigger a response while a plain clothes person MAY not have.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pay more taxes seems to be the solutions. Since we need more programs to help people, Babies exposed to drugs in utero, more social workers and police. You get rid of taxing the rich. Other measures need to happen.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Deputies responded to a simple welfare check. Something the refund the police crowd would like to be handled by social workers. The male had a history of emotional issues. Something that seems prime for social workers not for police.

The guy then opens the door and shoots. If that would have been a social worker. He\she would have been killed. As it was a scary moment for police.

WARNING THE VIDEO LINK IN THE STORY HAS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE. YOU DONT HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEO.

How did this bill make it to and through the House without any mention in any media?

House passes police reform bill

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
How did this bill make it to and through the House without any mention in any media?

House passes police reform bill
It didn't. You literally are using a media report about the bill to complain about it not being mentioned in any media.

ETA:

Turns out I was incorrect. They used a media report about a media report about the bill to complain about it not being mentioned in any media.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm glad the officer wasn't hurt. Social work can be dangerous. I used to talk to a friend on days she visited difficult clients. We spoke before and after the visit to make sure she wasn't harmed. It can happen.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Even if its absolutely correct to transfer certain social service responsibilities away from police to social workers, there's always going to be some instances where it would have been better for police to be there.

The question is: whats the best policy on balance? And I dont think one case answers that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Why not send a sworn officer specially trained and assigned to domestics of that kind?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
o.n.l.y.
a.f.t.e.r.
t.h.e.
f.a.c.t.
There are many articles on the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act going back to June 2020. It has been covered extensively in the media, your ignorance of this bill is not due to lack of coverage.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
o.n.l.y.
a.f.t.e.r.
t.h.e.
f.a.c.t.
Ok. That's not unusual. Most bills only get media attention after they have been passed by at least one house. Especially a bill with such a short turnaround. It went from introduced to passed in less then a week.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Politico isn't a media outlet now?
People that complain about media coverage with links reminds me of blogs back in the 2000s screaming that mainstream media didn't cover a story... while using links to stories by journalists in mainstream media.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Why not send a sworn officer specially trained and assigned to domestics of that kind?

Many many officers are trained in Crisis Intervention these days. In our state Officers go through CIT training in order to learn how to work with people in crisis. It should be required in every state imo.

But there are plenty of situations where the training doesn't do anything due to the person being on drugs etc. And the only option police have is force options because the person is so far gone that no matter who talks to them, they sont respond.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It looks like he only got two shots off before receiving return fire.
(She was fast! :policeofficer:)
Another indication of that homeowner's paranoia, that camera had high-end infra-red tech. You can see through their clothes.* (Basic IR cannot.)

*The officer who was shot at was wearing a bandeau-type bra...

Upvote 0