✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People having guns is one thing.

People who want automatic or semi-automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines, no background checks, required training, waiting periods, or licenses is another.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟684,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People having guns is one thing.

People who want automatic or semi-automatic weapons with high-capacity magazines, no background checks, required training, waiting periods, or licenses is another.

That is true

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟551,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is causing a lot of bitterness in me.

Live I've touched on in other threads, guns can be a great defensive tool for many scenarios, however, for others scenarios, they're not as effective and in some cases, can make it worse.

For example, if someone pulls a knife on you at an ATM and you have a gun, sure, you'll win.
It two drunks in a parking lot decide they want to jump you 2-on-1 for some reason or another, sure, you'll win.

However, if you're outnumbered 5-to-1 by people who have striking weapons (as the picture shows), having a gun is, at best, going to give you a 50/50 chance and at worst, they're going to take it from you after they've knocked you out and now the crazy mob has firepower.

You're only hope in that situation is if you flashed the gun and all 5 decided to bail...however, if they decide to stand their ground as well, there's no way you're taking all of them before they take you.

I get it, this is one of those things were seeing this happens stirs up emotions...one of which being a thirst for vengeance for what happened and deep down, the prospect of "them getting what's coming to them" feels good...but that doesn't change the logistics.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matt 26:52 "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Unless the sword is used for self defense.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt 26:52 "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Matthew 10:34 King James Version (KJV)

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 22:36 King James Version (KJV)

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Live I've touched on in other threads, guns can be a great defensive tool for many scenarios, however, for others scenarios, they're not as effective and in some cases, can make it worse.

For example, if someone pulls a knife on you at an ATM and you have a gun, sure, you'll win.
It two drunks in a parking lot decide they want to jump you 2-on-1 for some reason or another, sure, you'll win.

However, if you're outnumbered 5-to-1 by people who have striking weapons (as the picture shows), having a gun is, at best, going to give you a 50/50 chance and at worst, they're going to take it from you after they've knocked you out and now the crazy mob has firepower.

You're only hope in that situation is if you flashed the gun and all 5 decided to bail...however, if they decide to stand their ground as well, there's no way you're taking all of them before they take you.

I get it, this is one of those things were seeing this happens stirs up emotions...one of which being a thirst for vengeance for what happened and deep down, the prospect of "them getting what's coming to them" feels good...but that doesn't change the logistics.

One of the biggest problems with having a gun is that it changes your perception and attitude.

Lets say you are walking along the street with your girlfriend hand-in-hand and you pass a group of 3 guys. As you walk by the guys start cat calling your girl and saying provocative things. Given that it is 3 guys vs just you and your girl, odds are you are going to keep walking onwards to safety...

However, what happens in that situation if you have a gun? How many people with a gun would elect to keep walking vs those who would stop to confront the 3 guys?

This is the problem with having a gun. It completely changes the situation and instead of retreating, a gun provides incentive to seek confrontation instead of retreating.

Then there is the problem of escalation. Most situations involving a fight are not life threatening. At worse, you get some bumps and bruises and nothing more than hurt pride. However, once you bring a gun into the mix, now the situation has become life threatening...

In the movies, they make guns seem like a magic wand, just pull it out and everyone magically does whatever you say. But in real life, that doesn't happen. In real life, you pull a gun out, and you get a host of unintended consequences to include someone getting shot or killed...

Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 10:34 King James Version (KJV)
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
The sword of Jesus is the ETERNAL WORDS OF ALMIGHTY GOD which fights all evil and ignorance of the world.

Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Unless the sword is used for self defense.

Nothing will be able to harm us unless its allowed by God to test our faith.
Luke 12:7 And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of the biggest problems with having a gun is that it changes your perception and attitude.

Lets say you are walking along the street with your girlfriend hand-in-hand and you pass a group of 3 guys. As you walk by the guys start cat calling your girl and saying provocative things. Given that it is 3 guys vs just you and your girl, odds are you are going to keep walking onwards to safety...

However, what happens in that situation if you have a gun? How many people with a gun would elect to keep walking vs those who would stop to confront the 3 guys?

This is the problem with having a gun. It completely changes the situation and instead of retreating, a gun provides incentive to seek confrontation instead of retreating.

Then there is the problem of escalation. Most situations involving a fight are not life threatening. At worse, you get some bumps and bruises and nothing more than hurt pride. However, once you bring a gun into the mix, now the situation has become life threatening...

In the movies, they make guns seem like a magic wand, just pull it out and everyone magically does whatever you say. But in real life, that doesn't happen. In real life, you pull a gun out, and you get a host of unintended consequences to include someone getting shot or killed...

Having (owning) a gun isn't the same as carrying a gun.

Upvote 0