Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
@Resha Caner Also, I don't think he was decrying narrow definitions. I think that he was complaining about definitions which don't clearly answer how theology is different from Scripture and also why we need theology even though Scripture is sufficient.

You're right. Thanks for the clarification.

What do you think is inadequate about his definition of theology? What does it not account for?

He lost me with this statement:

Why, then, do we need theology in addition to Scripture? The only answer, I believe, is “because we need to apply Scripture to life.”

Because of the way it is phrased and the way it is couched in the surrounding text, it feels as if he started with this sentence and built his argument around it. I felt tricked, as if everything that came before was just a set up for an a priori idea. It felt as if everything that came after this sentence was completely disconnected from what came before, and so his argument was suddenly unconvincing.

With that said, the issue I raised initially remains. It feels like an appropriation of a term to something it has never meant before - a replacement of the idea of discipleship with the word "theology". If theology is all about application, then it's all about us and what we do. It becomes an effort to please God.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You're right. Thanks for the clarification.

He lost me with this statement:

Why, then, do we need theology in addition to Scripture? The only answer, I believe, is “because we need to apply Scripture to life.”

Because of the way it is phrased and the way it is couched in the surrounding text, it feels as if he started with this sentence and built his argument around it. I felt tricked, as if everything that came before was just a set up for an a priori idea. It felt as if everything that came after this sentence was completely disconnected from what came before, and so his argument was suddenly unconvincing.

With that said, the issue I raised initially remains. It feels like an appropriation of a term to something it has never meant before - a replacement of the idea of discipleship with the word "theology". If theology is all about application, then it's all about us and what we do. It becomes an effort to please God.

Why is application confined to what we do? Isn't what we should believe about God also application?

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is theology?

My favorite definition is the one supplied by Dr. John Frame. He says that theology is the application of Scripture to every area of life.

Some Christians say that theology is irrelevant or only causes division and therefore should not be our focus. But that's because they have the wrong idea of what theology is all about. Theology is imminently relevant, practical, and should bring about good unity and good division (separating heresy from orthodoxy and separating light from darkness).

Who can deny the need to do this kind of theology?

When I think of theology, I think "what I believe in regards to God". And, in that way, I agree that our true individual theology will affect every area of our life, and therefore is certainly relevant.

For example, if I believe God can bring about what He promises me, then I can trust Him even when what He is asking me to do seems contrary to my best interests (see Abraham, Ishmael, and Isaac, for example). If I don't believe that, I won't obey when asked to do that same thing. If I believe that God allowed something for a greater good, I can forgive my brothers who caused me great suffering (see Joseph). If I believe God is Absolutely Sovereign, then I can trust Him to deliver what He says He will. If I believe God doesn't lie, then I can trust every Word He speaks. If I believe Jesus was The Christ, then I make Jesus my Lord and Savior. If I don't believe that, I can't really make Him Lord of my life and it is only wishful thinking that He will be my Savior--if even that. Some people's theology is that God doesn't exist. If they truly believe that, they make decisions and take actions as if He didn't exist. While they are indisputably wrong, they will still act in accordance with their theology.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your definition of theology is exactly what has caused the fragmentation of Protestantism into thousands of unauthorized conflicting manmade denominations teaching thousands of conflicting and therefore false beliefs, in just a few hundred years. Theology is simply the study of God. That's what "theology" literally means - "theos", meaning "God", and "ology", meaning "the study of". Theology guided by the Holy Spirit results in God's truth. Theology without the Holy Spirit's guidance results in division and untruth. Which is why Jesus Christ founded ONE Church, said it was to remain ONE, and promised that ONE Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". Which is why that ONE Church remains ONE in belief, ONE in teaching, ONE in worship, ONE in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, with NO conflicting denominations.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What is theology?

My favorite definition is the one supplied by Dr. John Frame. He says that theology is the application of Scripture to every area of life.

Some Christians say that theology is irrelevant or only causes division and therefore should not be our focus. But that's because they have the wrong idea of what theology is all about. Theology is imminently relevant, practical, and should bring about good unity and good division (separating heresy from orthodoxy and separating light from darkness).

Who can deny the need to do this kind of theology?

Theology is not something you "do". It is a set of beliefs about God that you accept or reject.

Noah had a theology about God that said God would destroy all mankind on planet Earth. His peers had a different theology.

Christ had theology that was not inline with the magisterium of his day - Mark 7:6-13.

Paul had the same issue.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some divide theology into branches like biblical theology, systematic theology, and practical or pragmatic theology. However, I think these are all related, despite whatever differences are fleshed out. To chain the OP with your post, all of the branches of philosophy are the handmaiden to theology. In this regard, there is synthesis between natural theology and special revelation. If I recall, from a lecture, Dr. Sproul making this point, and he might have been talking about Aquinas, whom he adored.
That appears to be the first step, discerning between natural revelation (Rom. 1:18-20). Then there is special revelation. Bruce Wilkerson did an interesting thing in Talk Through the Old Testament when he described inductive and deductive logic concluding that Christian thinking was more like revelation. In my search for a coherent theology I have long divided two branches of Christian theology into two primary ways of approaching the subject matter, rationalism and the more inductive logic where you get the evidential approach. Theology stems from such an intense internal dialogue I don't like to try to impose my rules of logic on others but this is easily seen in the contrast between Aristotle and Plato. Aristotle would put things together in categories, why, because Aristotle said they go in those categories and that was that. Plato and Socrates were into dialogue and his sweeping idealism soars through the timeless eternity of wisdom itself while Aristotle is the strict constructionalist of epistemology.

I only mention it because you can see this so clear in theology, in Catholic thinking they can be very analytic, everything fits into it's own neat little category while our Orthodox friends are much more general, even nursing a taste for the mystical.

I'm much more of an evangelical, that means to me it begins and ends with Scripture. You can start up your theology and take me anywhere you want to go, but I have this map they call the Holy Bible so I always know how to find my way home.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@Resha Caner Also, I don't think he was decrying narrow definitions. I think that he was complaining about definitions which don't clearly answer how theology is different from Scripture and also why we need theology even though Scripture is sufficient.

What I like about his definition is that it recognizes that Scripture is sufficient. Theology is not putting Scripture into proper order or making Scripture more clear. Rather, it is applying Scripture. At the same time, it shows that theology is necessary as a distinct thing from Scripture because Scripture is meant to be applied.
Ok, you have my attention, so Jesus died for our sins. So I'm supposed to apply this in some way? I'm not trying to be confrontational just wondering how you see this working out in real world terms.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, you have my attention, so Jesus died for our sins. So I'm supposed to apply this in some way? I'm not trying to be confrontational just wondering how you see this working out in real world terms.

Trusting his atonement applies his righteousness to his people is an application. The peace of Christ from trusting in him for our righteousness, as an evidence of trusting in him. The gift of faith being the means for trusting. Hope this helps, God bless.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Application has more to do than just with behavior. Application also has to do with what we think, believe, feel, and say. "What does the Bible say that I should believe about God?" is an application question.

We have no control over what we believe, think, feel. We have a lot of control over how we choose to respond to what we believe, think, feel. Application is our choice in how we do that. The Holy Spirit certainly speaks to us through the Scriptures and in many other ways. To walk in the Spirit is how we respond.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I was in seminary, my professor in Systematic Theology simply defined theology as "God Talk". It is something we do. We do "theology" every time we discuss the things of God. However, "theology" in this context is not to be confused with the systematic theological category "Theology Proper" which is specifically theology centered around the character and characteristics of God (the Father). Systematic theology breaks topics down into different categories such as:

Edit: In regards to the importance of theology. Theology is important because truth is important. If we read the directions on a prescription bottle, we expect the instructions to be truthful and honest. If the instructions did not speak truth, the consequence could be serious or fatal. Truth is not relative. It is binary. Something is either true or it is false. There is no in between. Same holds true for theology. The bible is our "instruction manual". But unlike the directions on a prescription bottle, failure to follow its directions can have eternal consequences. Theology is essential to helping us understand what is truth and what is heresy so that we are able to follow its instructions truthfully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why is application confined to what we do? Isn't what we should believe about God also application?

I think broadening the term in that way loses the clarity of definition you spoke about in post #61. Didn't the chapter speak about theologians who overburden their definitions with too much content?

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Acts 8:30
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.

Everyone in history has made the claim that their views was all from God speaking to them. They would use that as some enhancement to their misinterpretation or delusion and due to that books such as Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelations where considered epistles of straw (search who accused that) and also lead to cults such as LDS, INC, and JW's and even acts that ushered in violence.
This is has led the rise of the SDAs, the WWCOG (Armstrongism), and as you said, extreme cults that have committed acts of violence or mass suicides like Jonestown (People's Temple), Heaven's Gate, the Branch Davadians. These last 3 famous groups did not have happy endings at all.
The thing that ties together all these groups is that they all have a self proclaimed "prophet" or "Apostle" that claims that the mainstream church has become corrupted, "Laocidean", "Old Wineskins of Saul", etc. These leaders claim that God choose them either through some vision or special revelation about the "truth" of the Church, the law, the Sabbath, etc. This is how these "prophets" and "apostles" lead people astray.
These people who join them are not mindless zombies. But they are convinced that it is true and that the Bible really affirms the claims of these "prophets" and "apostles."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cis.jd
Upvote 0