Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
@Resha Caner Also, I don't think he was decrying narrow definitions. I think that he was complaining about definitions which don't clearly answer how theology is different from Scripture and also why we need theology even though Scripture is sufficient.

What I like about his definition is that it recognizes that Scripture is sufficient. Theology is not putting Scripture into proper order or making Scripture more clear. Rather, it is applying Scripture. At the same time, it shows that theology is necessary as a distinct thing from Scripture because Scripture is meant to be applied.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The word in John 3:16 is agape.

Love in John 3:19 is agape love but its about loving darkness not light.

John 3:19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

Love in John 5:20 is Gods love for the son but is phileo love

John 5:20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel.

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In a way, I do agree that we should not let theology take over our lives and be so obsessed with it. Just focus on the work of Christ.
But it is true that God did call some people like Martin Luther and Jacob Arminius to be detailed on theology and preach it to others. However, not all people are called to be super detailed with theology and being a professor in theology or Greek does not make you more wiser in the sight of God anymore than a laymen who justs gets basic, essential theology and then focuses on Jesus.
The only reason I see theology as useful is that it explains the questions that are impossible to get an answer with proof, such as "Why I was born?", "What happens to me when I die?", "Is there a God or Goddess and if there is, how many?", "Do angels have wings?", "What are angels?", "What do I have to do to get to heaven?", "Is mankind good or evil?", "Who is Jesus?", "Why did he die on the cross?", etc. The list is endless.
At the same time, I do not want to be obsessed and craving deep into theology. As I said, being an expert in theology does not make you holier than thou.
Indeed, The Pharisees were actually very detailed into theology and were even experts of the Law of Moses, but they were, as Jesus said, hypocrites and whitewashed tombs.
But someone will say, "Your theology determines how you behave." That's partially true, if theology were to determine how you behave, then you will have to not just be hearers of it but also DOERS of it. In other words, practice what you preach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One needs to be cautious, the enemy is always there to catch us.
John 8:12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
John 8:12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.

Acts 8:30
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.

Everyone in history has made the claim that their views was all from God speaking to them. They would use that as some enhancement to their misinterpretation or delusion and due to that books such as Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelations where considered epistles of straw (search who accused that) and also lead to cults such as LDS, INC, and JW's and even acts that ushered in violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Acts 8:30
Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked.

Everyone in history has made the claim that their views was all from God speaking to them. They would use that as some enhancement to their misinterpretation or delusion and due to that books such as Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelations where considered epistles of straw (search who accused that) and also lead to cults such as LDS, INC, and JW's and even acts that ushered in violence.
And catholics are so perfect without a blemished past.

Upvote 0

Wavecure

Jan 7, 2019
CALIFORNIA
✟17,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What is theology?

My favorite definition is the one supplied by Dr. John Frame. He says that theology is the application of Scripture to every area of life.

Some Christians say that theology is irrelevant or only causes division and therefore should not be our focus. But that's because they have the wrong idea of what theology is all about. Theology is imminently relevant, practical, and should bring about good unity and good division (separating heresy from orthodoxy and separating light from darkness).

Who can deny the need to do this kind of theology?

Hi, Tree of Life.

Excellent post! :amen::oldthumbsup:

God's love and peace be with you.

Wavecure_

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While a little dry sounding, I like defining theology with the academic outlook as well as just application from Frame. While much older, I like how Thomas Aquinas put it: "A unified science in which all things are treated under the aspect of God either because they are God himself or because they refer to God."

As so many here have said already, you have to make sure it's not just academic but also life application.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I always thought theology was a systematic approach to the academic side of working in formal doctrine. It has it's own unique epistemology, metaphysics, like all things philosophical the semantics are painstakingly precise and can be mutually exclusive with other systems that are very close.

Some divide theology into branches like biblical theology, systematic theology, and practical or pragmatic theology. However, I think these are all related, despite whatever differences are fleshed out. To chain the OP with your post, all of the branches of philosophy are the handmaiden to theology. In this regard, there is synthesis between natural theology and special revelation. If I recall, from a lecture, Dr. Sproul making this point, and he might have been talking about Aquinas, whom he adored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Love in John 3:19 is agape love but its about loving darkness not light.

John 3:19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil.

Love in John 5:20 is Gods love for the son but is phileo love

John 5:20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself is doing; and the Father will show Him greater works than these, so that you will marvel.
Well yea, in the context phileo is appropriate aince it's ba father's love for his son.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And catholics are so perfect without a blemished past.

Lol logical arguments failed so let's go for the ad hominem approach eh?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My favorite definition is the one supplied by Dr. John Frame. He says that theology is the application of Scripture to every area of life.
I think it would be more appropriate to say this is Christian Theology or Biblical Theology and not a universal definition. But even then it's not fully there because what you described is applied Biblical Theology. Theology is and always will be primarily about the study of God, and Christians will reject any other source that is outside biblical revelation or the very least the church. Theology can also exist as an abstraction outside any faith or personal application. One may study God without actually believing in him and faith is not a prerequisite to the studying God.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is theology?

Some Christians say that theology is irrelevant or only causes division and therefore should not be our focus. But that's because they have the wrong idea of what theology is all about. Theology is imminently relevant, practical, and should bring about good unity and good division (separating heresy from orthodoxy and separating light from darkness).

Who can deny the need to do this kind of theology?

I don't agree with Dr. Frame's definition. What he is describing is Christian piety, discipline, obedience, and similar expressions of faith. I think most Christians would agree that we are called to manifest those outward expressions of inward belief/faith.

Theology is the study of the components that go into our piety, discipline, obedience, history, dogma, doctrine, interpretation, along with judgment calls or conclusions re what is true, what is reliable, what is authentic, what is proper, what is orthodox, what is Christian, etc. and what is not.

• Agree
Reactions: Resha Caner
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree with Dr. Frame's definition. What he is describing is Christian piety, discipline, obedience, and similar expressions of faith. I think most Christians would agree that we are called to manifest those outward expressions of inward belief/faith.

Theology is the study of the components that go into our piety, discipline, obedience, history, dogma, doctrine, interpretation, along with judgment calls or conclusions re what is true, what is reliable, what is authentic, what is proper, what is orthodox, what is Christian, etc. and what is not.

Application has more to do than just with behavior. Application also has to do with what we think, believe, feel, and say. "What does the Bible say that I should believe about God?" is an application question.

Upvote 0