Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All this list does it take the most politically liberal cities and then arbitrarily identify them as "caring."

It would make just as much sense to find the cities with the lowest property taxes, most churches per square mile, and most private schools...and proclaim them the "most caring."

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From the reference given in the OP:

Tis the season for compassion and kindness—and in that spirit, WalletHub has rounded up the cities it says are the most caring in America. The site looked at more than three dozen metrics in the 100 most populated US cities, across three main categories: caring for the community (which includes everything from the rate of violent crime to online giving and how the environment is prioritized); caring in the workforce (e.g., per capita rankings for health care workers, as well as teachers' and counselors' care for the well-being of students); and caring for the vulnerable, which takes a look at the poverty rate, the availability of paid family leave, and animal protection laws, among other factors.

Maybe Albion's three criteria fit in there somewhere.

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From the reference given in the OP:

Tis the season for compassion and kindness—and in that spirit, WalletHub has rounded up the cities it says are the most caring in America. The site looked at more than three dozen metrics in the 100 most populated US cities, across three main categories: caring for the community (which includes everything from the rate of violent crime to online giving and how the environment is prioritized); caring in the workforce (e.g., per capita rankings for health care workers, as well as teachers' and counselors' care for the well-being of students); and caring for the vulnerable, which takes a look at the poverty rate, the availability of paid family leave, and animal protection laws, among other factors.

Maybe Albion's three criteria fit in there somewhere.
I lived in Washington, D.C. before. I was surprised to see it on a list of America’s friendliest cities. The murder rate there is higher than the national average.

In my county there was one murder-suicide last year. A local transvestite was also murdered and the body dumped in another county last year. We did not make the friendliest list as it is an unincorporated area.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I lived in Washington, D.C. before. I was surprised to see it on a list of America’s friendliest cities. The murder rate there is higher than the national average.

In my county there was one murder-suicide last year. A local transvestite was also murdered and the body dumped in another county last year. We did not make the friendliest list as it is an unincorporated area.

There were 39 separate criteria used. Violent Crime rate was one of the criteria and was given a triple weighting. Washington must have done well in other categories.
OB

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It would make just as much sense to find the cities with the lowest property taxes, most churches per square mile, and most private schools...and proclaim them the "most caring."

What do any of those criteria have to do with "caring"?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There were 39 separate criteria used. Violent Crime rate was one of the criteria and was given a triple weighting. Washington must have done well in other categories.
OB
They have great museums, restaurants, lectures, sports, access to airports, subway, universities, high paying jobs, expensive real estate. Some neighborhoods are plagued with crime, even close to Capitol Hill. It is not a low cost retirement area.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All this list does it take the most politically liberal cities and then arbitrarily identify them as "caring."

The folks in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and central California would disagree with you. I don't put a lot of stock in lists like this, but... it's like you didn't read any of it.

Upvote 0