✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah said the NEW Covenant is this --
31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord. 33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

But you do claim that the letter of the law is written on our heart

Your spin doctoring does not change the text -- it only reflects your dissatisfaction with what the text actually says.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting 1 Cor 7:19
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"??.

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting Rev 14:12
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"??
Nope.

The commandments of God are not the 10 commandments.

The 10 commandments are the letter of the law that condemns:

"He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills...the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone...the ministry that condemns" (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).
Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the NEW Covenant detail about the LAW
"I will write MY LAW on their heart and mind" Jer 31:31-33

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching of Paul in Romans 8:4-9 telling us that it is the LOST and not the SAVED that "do not submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN they".
Nope.

The law on our heart and mind is the love of the Spirit, not the law of the letter. This is why Paul tells us that the new covenant is a covenant of the Spirit, and not of the letter.
are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching of Christ in Matthew 7 where HE says "you do not get BAD fruit from a GOOD tree... by their fruits you shall know them"
Nope.

The same Jesus who said "you do not get BAD fruit from a GOOD tree", also said:

"No one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins."(Luke 5:37-38).

In other words, the new covenant is not based on the old law of the letter. No, the new covenant is based on the new law of the Spirit: "He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant — not of the letter but of the Spirit" (2 Corinthians 3:6-9).
Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching or Romans 2:4-16?
13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
Those scriptures you are quoting are saying the complete opposite to what you want them to say:

"For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts"

These scriptures tell us that even though Gentiles do not have the letter of the law that was given to the Jews, they are still able to obey the work required by the law. This is because the work required by the law is not the letter of 10 commandments which was given to the Jews, but it is the love of the Spirit which is now given to both Jews and Gentiles.

It is the love required by the law that is written on the hearts of Gentiles who do not have the letter of the law that was given to the Jews, because love is the fulfillment of the law: Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law” (Romans 13:10).
Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting Romans 6 telling us that SIN and obedience to SIN results in death?
"If you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." (Romans 8:13-14).

SIN and obedience to SIN results in death only for those who are under the law, but not for those who are led by the Spirit: "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law...For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace." (Galatians 5:18, Romans 6:14).
Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting 1 John 3:4-12??
Nope.

I know this is one of your favorite Scriptures: "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." (1 John 3:4).

But notice what Paul is saying here. Paul is saying two things. He is saying that 'Whoever commits sin is also transgressing the law.'

Committing sin and transgressing the law are not one and the same thing, they are two different things.

The law only becomes transgressed after the sin is committed. The sin occurs first and then the law is transgressed because of the sin that already occurred. The sin occurs before the transgression of the law and the transgression of the law makes us conscious of the sin that was already committed:

"For before the law was given, sin was in the world." "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin...So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good...But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good" (Romans 5:13, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:12-13).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God's TEN Commandments are included in what the Bible calls the "Commandments of God"

(So then they are not the only parts of the OT that are included as the "Commandments of God" - but they are one of the laws included)

=============================

KEEP the Commandments - God's Ten Commandments are included as the "Commandments of God"

10 Commandments are –
“Commandments of God” Neh 10:29
“Law of God” Neh 10:29
“Word of God” Mark 7:13
“Commandment of God” Mark 7:6-13
NT “Scripture” James 2:8
NT “Law” – James 2:9-11
NT Commandments Eph 6:2, Rom 13:9, Romans 7:7-10

1John 2:
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

John says -
Rev 22:
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.(KJV)

The teaching of Christ: Commandment of God = Word of God = "Moses said" in the case of the TEN Commandments.

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Exodus 20
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Rev 14:12
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

1 Cor 7:19 .. "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"

Eph 6:2 the 5th commandment "is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise" in that still valid - unit of TEN.

Matt 19 "if you would have eternal life KEEP the Commandments... Which ones?.." then comes Christ list FROM the Ten Commandments.

Romans 7 - quoting the Commandments - from the TEN
Romans 13 - from the TEN
James 2 - from the TEN.

1 John 3:4 "Sin IS transgression of the LAW"

Rom 7 Sin defined by the LAW
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; 10 and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; 11 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Rom 4 - where there is no Law there is no sin.

Rom 3:19-20
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

James 2
8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.

And of course - under the NEW Covenant the "LAW of God written on heart and mind" - Jeremiah 31:31-33 and certainly Jeremiah knew about the TEN.

Nope.
The commandments of God are not the 10 commandments.

Yep - they are. (As my post above shows )

=============== so then these questions

Would you regard yourself as being worthy of salvation if you did not obey the law?

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting 1 Cor 7:19
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God"??

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting Rev 14:12
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"??

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the NEW Covenant detail about the LAW

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching of Paul in Romans 8:4-9 telling us that it is the LOST and not the SAVED that "do not submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN they".

are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching of Christ in Matthew 7 where HE says "you do not get BAD fruit from a GOOD tree... by their fruits you shall know them"

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting the teaching or Romans 2:4-16?
13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting Romans 6 telling us that SIN and obedience to SIN results in death?

Are you asking me if I join Commandment deniers in rejecting 1 John 3:4-12??

==================================================
BobRyan said:

The law on our heart and mind is the love of the Spirit, not the law of the letter. This is why Paul tells us that the new covenant is a covenant of the Spirit, and not of the letter.

Your wishful preference about "Law of God not God's Ten Commandments" was already shown to fail the test of scripture in the post already included above.

Nice try though.

• Prayers
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are 613 commandments in the Torah. Not all of them apply to everyone. But then, I would be willing to bet that those who are so hot about commandment observance, they violate some of them on a regular basis. Just like when the traffic cop pulls you over, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The main problem I see with those that want to brow beat others regarding commandment observance is they either want to subjugate others to following what they do or they are trying to make themselves look more righteous than someone who doesn't literally follow all the commandments.

I applaud those who choose to observe the commandments out or reverence for the Lord. Just don't fall into the same camp as the Church of Ephesus in Revelation 2. They were diligent about things, staunch about doctrine and observance, but they had lost their first love. It is always a risk, that in focussing so much on details, one forgets what Yeshua was all about and what He taught us.

Now, let's see all those that seem to chastise others for not observing the commandments spend tonight thru tomorrow night in prayer and fasting. All 24 hrs. After all, that is a commandment from the Lord regarding Yom Kippur, the day of atonement. I will be, but then, I don't argue that anyone is required to do as I do.

And no one who argues so emphatically about Sabbath observance better not start their car and drive anywhere! It is a commandment of the Lord that no one kindle a fire on the Sabbath! And unless one has an electric car, an internal combustion engine runs by fire. So no starting one's auto on the Sabbath! So they better walk to the service if they want to adhere so close to the commandments.

See how this plays out when folks start getting on their high horse about commandment observance? It can lead to the same nonsense that the religious leaders gave Yeshua. Whenever I see the local SDA church members autos in the parking lot on Saturday, I realize that they are not following what they preach. Just a plastic game people are playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are 613 commandments in the Torah.

And 1050 in the NT.

Not all of them apply to everyone.

True. In scripture we do not have "from Pentecost to Pentecost shall all mankind come before Me to worship" in Isaiah 66:23.

Nor do we have "circumcision was made for mankind" in Mark 2:27

So then there are a few things we can all see clearly.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith section 19,
the Westminster Confession of Faith section 19,
D.L. Moody sermon on the Ten Commandments including the 4th,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

Now, let's see all those that seem to chastise others for not observing the commandments spend tonight thru tomorrow night in prayer and fasting. All 24 hrs.

Fasting was not allowed in scripture on the weekly Sabbath.

After all, that is a commandment from the Lord regarding Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.

regarding "sacrifices and offerings" -- "He takes away the first to establish the second" Hebrews 10. where we see that the sacrifice of Christ ended all animal sacrifices and offerings.

regarding the earthly priesthood - in Hebrews 7 ... change of law... change of priesthood. From earthly to heavenly.

So without the animal sacrifices of Yom Kippur in Lev 16...
And without the priests of Yom Kippur in Lev 16...
what was the "other way" listed in Lev 16 for the liturgy on Yom Kippur??

I think we both know that no "other way" is given in Lev 16 for liturgy on Yom Kippur.

And no one who argues so emphatically about Sabbath observance better not start their car and drive anywhere!

No cars in the OT or NT.

But they did have temple guards and those that made sure the fires kept burning over the Sabbath.

Including fires in the homes over the winter.

=========================

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith section 19,
the Westminster Confession of Faith section 19,
D.L. Moody sermon on the Ten Commandments including the 4th,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, there are 613 commandments in the Torah. Not all of them apply to everyone. But then, I would be willing to bet that those who are so hot about commandment observance, they violate some of them on a regular basis. Just like when the traffic cop pulls you over, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The main problem I see with those that want to brow beat others regarding commandment observance is they either want to subjugate others to following what they do or they are trying to make themselves look more righteous than someone who doesn't literally follow all the commandments.

I applaud those who choose to observe the commandments out or reverence for the Lord. Just don't fall into the same camp as the Church of Ephesus in Revelation 2. They were diligent about things, staunch about doctrine and observance, but they had lost their first love. It is always a risk, that in focussing so much on details, one forgets what Yeshua was all about and what He taught us.

Now, let's see all those that seem to chastise others for not observing the commandments spend tonight thru tomorrow night in prayer and fasting. All 24 hrs. After all, that is a commandment from the Lord regarding Yom Kippur, the day of atonement. I will be, but then, I don't argue that anyone is required to do as I do.

And no one who argues so emphatically about Sabbath observance better not start their car and drive anywhere! It is a commandment of the Lord that no one kindle a fire on the Sabbath! And unless one has an electric car, an internal combustion engine runs by fire. So no starting one's auto on the Sabbath! So they better walk to the service if they want to adhere so close to the commandments.

See how this plays out when folks start getting on their high horse about commandment observance? It can lead to the same nonsense that the religious leaders gave Yeshua. Whenever I see the local SDA church members autos in the parking lot on Saturday, I realize that they are not following what they preach. Just a plastic game people are playing.
Hello copperhead.

I am with you on that one.

The commandments tell us in no uncertain terms the necessity for God's deliverance in Christ. Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord does not take into account.

Luke 18
11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Focus on true "born again from above" Christ-followers:
BELIEVERS.

How should they respond to the applicable "Mosaic Law", commandments and precepts given by God (OT)
and Jesus (NT).

Quick answer: Out of spiritual LOVE RETURNED!

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Here are some of Jesus' "Big IF's":

John 14:15
IF you love Me, you will keep My commandments.(PRECEPTS: LOVE COMMANDED!)

Jesus' precepts Such as: "FOLLOW" + "OBEY" + "TRUST" + be in the WILL OF GOD + "LOVE "one another" + ETC

1 John 2:3
By this we know that we have come to know Him, IF we keep His commandments.

John 13:35
By this all men will know that you are My disciples, IF you have love for "one another".”

John 14:23...Jesus answered and said to him,
IF anyone loves Me, he will keep My word;
and My Father will love him,
and We will come to him and make Our abode (DWELLING) with him.

John 15:10
IF you keep My commandments, you will abide (DWELL) in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Romans 13:9
For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,”
and IF there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying,
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (LOVE GOD + LOVE NEIGHBOR AS SELF)

God the Father in the OT:

Deuteronomy 30:19
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So CHHOSE LIFE in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

Exodus 20:6
but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who LOVE Me and keep My commandments.

Deuteronomy 10:13
and to keep the Lord’s commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today FOR YOUR GOOD?

Ecclesiastes 12:13
The conclusion, when all has been heard, is:
fear (revere in awe) God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.

It may be as simple as this: Keep the Bible's LOVE commandments.

LOVE COMMANDED!!

a. #1 = Love God + #2 = Love Neighbor AS SELF...the BIG TWO IN ORDER!...Luke 10: 25-29: Matthew 22: 37-40; Mark 12:30
b. Love "ONE ANOTHER" (believers) as I have loved you...John 13:34-35; John 15; 1 John 4
c. Love Enemies..Sermon on the Mount...the HARD ONE...Matthew 5: 43-48
d. ABIDE in God's Love..1 John; John 15
e. If you Love me, FOLLOW/ (serve) me...Matthew 16: 24-27; Luke 14:25-33; John 12:26
f. If you Love me, KEEP PRECEPTS: OBEY, TRUST etc...and ...Get the "good news" out!..Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15

The GOLDEN RULE "to treat others as I want to be treated" (Matt. 7:12)...good MAN-to-MAN ADVICE...not a COMMAND!

Matthew 7:12 (all NASB)
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you,
for this IS (summarizes?) the Law and the Prophets

#1: LOVE GOD

Matthew 22:37-40
And He (Jesus) said to him (lawyer) ,
A. “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’
This is the great and foremost commandment.
B The second is like it,
‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
On these two commandments DEPEND (derive?) the whole (Mosiac) Law and the (OT) Prophets.”

Jesus the God-Man FULFILLED the MOSAIC "Law" and the Prophets.

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets;
I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

Luke 24:44
Now He said to them,
“These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

#2: LOVE NEIGHBOR as SELF

Luke 10:25-37...extracts: Parable of the Good Samaritan
And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I (me, MYSELF) DO to INHERIT eternal (spiritual) life?”...
29 But wishing to justify himself, he (lawyer( said to Jesus, “And who is my NEIGHBOR?”
30 Jesus replied and said...("Parable of the The Good Samaritan")
36 Which of these three do you think PROVED to be a NEIGHBOR to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?”
37 And he said, “The one who showed MERCY toward him.”
Then Jesus said to him, (YOU) “Go and do the same.”

Where are the words "love" or "works"?
It is a LESSON on how Man should treat Man...even a stranger.The lawyer wrongly thought he had to DO something to INHERIT God's Grace.

Matthew 19: 16-26...Jesus encounters The Rich Young Ruler's heart (SEE ALSO: Mark 10:17 etc; Luke 18:18 )
16 And someone (The Rich Young Ruler) came to Him (Jesus) and said,
“Teacher, what GOOD THING (works) shall I (myself) DO that I may OBTAIN "eternal (spiritual) life"?”
17And He said to him,
“Why are you asking Me about WHAT is good? There is only One WHO is good;
but if YOU wish to enter into (eternal SPIRITUAL) life", keep the (10?) commandments.”
Then he said to Him, “Which ones?”
And Jesus said, (#1 is LOVE GOD...SEE: Deuteronomy 6:5 ; Luke 10:27)
“You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness;
Honor your father and mother; and You shall LOVE your NEIGHBOR as yourself.”
The young man said to Him, “All these things I have KEPT; (the Mosaic Law) what am I still lacking?”
21 Jesus said to him,
“If you wish to be COMPLETE (in works), (YOU) go and sell your possessions and give to the poor,
and YOU will have treasure in heaven;
and COME, FOLLOW Me.”
But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.

And Jesus said to His DISCIPLES,
“Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel (rope?) to go through the eye of a needle,
than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” (Choose WHICH to serve: God or wealth...Matthew 6:24)
When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said,
“Then who can be SAVED?” (from death unto "eternal SPIRITUAL life")
And looking at them Jesus said to them,
“With people (man's works) this is impossible,
but with God all things are possible.”

(God draws/calls and offers Grace through the gift of Spirit-led FAITH / BELIEF)

#2b: SELF

Genesis 1:26
Then God (plural=elohim) said,
“Let Us make man in Our (SPIRITUAL) image,
according to Our (CHARACTER) likeness

Genesis 5:2
He created them male and female, and
He blessed them and
named them Man (MANKIND) in the day when they were created.

Psalm 139:14...I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.

Psalm 139:13...For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.

Ephesians 4:16
from whom the whole body,
being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

#3: Love "ONE ANOTHER" (believers) as I have loved you

John 13:34-35.."one another" (Greek = allelon) = mutual,reciprocal,beneficial love among believers
A new commandment I give to you, that
you love "one another", even as I have loved you,
that you also love "one another".
By this all men will know that you are My disciples,(followers,pupils)
if you have love for "one another".”

John 15:12,17 [Disciples’ Relation to Each Other]
“This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you....
This I command you, that you love one another.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love;
give preference to one another in honor;

Romans 13:8
Owe nothing to anyone except to love "one another";
for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brethren;
only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve "one another".

Ephesians 4:2
with all humility and gentleness, with patience,
showing tolerance for "one another" in love,

#4: LOVE ENEMIES

Matthew 5:43-48...Jesus' Sermon on the Mount to crowds + disciples
43 “You have heard that it was said,
‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you,
love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven;(believers)
for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
48 Therefore you are to be (TRY to be!) perfect (mature),
as your (EXAMPLE: your) heavenly Father is perfect.(holy and omnibenevolent)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Focus on true "born again from above" Christ-followers:
BELIEVERS.

How should they respond to the applicable "Mosaic Law", commandments and precepts given by God (OT)
and Jesus (NT).

Quick answer: Out of spiritual LOVE RETURNED!

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Here are some of Jesus' "Big IF's":

John 14:15
IF you love Me, you will keep My commandments.(PRECEPTS: LOVE COMMANDED!)

Jesus' precepts Such as: "FOLLOW" + "OBEY" + "TRUST" + be in the WILL OF GOD + "LOVE "one another" + ETC

1 John 2:3
By this we know that we have come to know Him, IF we keep His commandments.

John 13:35
By this all men will know that you are My disciples, IF you have love for "one another".”

John 14:23...Jesus answered and said to him,
IF anyone loves Me, he will keep My word;
and My Father will love him,
and We will come to him and make Our abode (DWELLING) with him.

John 15:10
IF you keep My commandments, you will abide (DWELL) in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Romans 13:9
For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,”
and IF there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying,
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (LOVE GOD + LOVE NEIGHBOR AS SELF)

God the Father in the OT:

Deuteronomy 30:19
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So CHHOSE LIFE in order that you may live, you and your descendants,

Exodus 20:6
but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who LOVE Me and keep My commandments.

Deuteronomy 10:13
and to keep the Lord’s commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today FOR YOUR GOOD?

Ecclesiastes 12:13
The conclusion, when all has been heard, is:
fear (revere in awe) God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.

It may be as simple as this: Keep the Bible's LOVE commandments.

LOVE COMMANDED!!

a. #1 = Love God + #2 = Love Neighbor AS SELF...the BIG TWO IN ORDER!...Luke 10: 25-29: Matthew 22: 37-40; Mark 12:30
b. Love "ONE ANOTHER" (believers) as I have loved you...John 13:34-35; John 15; 1 John 4
c. Love Enemies..Sermon on the Mount...the HARD ONE...Matthew 5: 43-48
d. ABIDE in God's Love..1 John; John 15
e. If you Love me, FOLLOW/ (serve) me...Matthew 16: 24-27; Luke 14:25-33; John 12:26
f. If you Love me, KEEP PRECEPTS: OBEY, TRUST etc...and ...Get the "good news" out!..Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15

Amen.

"If you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"LOVE Me and KEEP My Commandments" Exodus 20:6 (in the TEN Commandments )
"This IS the Love of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3
And the 5th Commandment "is the FIRST Commandment with a promise" In that still-valid "unit of TEN" Eph 6:2

Hebrews 8:6-10 it is JESUS that gave us the TEN Commandments at Sinai - and also gave us the NEW Covenant.

And for all eternity after the cross - in the NEW Earth "from SABBATH to SABBATH shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is if Yom Kippur falls on a weekly Sabbath, as it did this year. Part of the requirement of observing Yom Kippur is fasting.

Indeed that particular yearly convocation - always has fasting.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Best list

Until you read the actual Bible.

Ephesians 6:2 for example.

Bible details matter

===================== already pointed this out - this way

God's TEN Commandments are included in what the Bible calls the "Commandments of God"

(So then they are not the only parts of the OT that are included as the "Commandments of God" - but they are one of the laws included)

=============================

KEEP the Commandments - God's Ten Commandments are included as the "Commandments of God"

10 Commandments are –
“Commandments of God” Neh 10:29
“Law of God” Neh 10:29
“Word of God” Mark 7:13
“Commandment of God” Mark 7:6-13
NT “Scripture” James 2:8
NT “Law” – James 2:9-11
NT Commandments Eph 6:2, Rom 13:9, Romans 7:7-10

1John 2:
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

John says -
Rev 22:
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.(KJV)

The teaching of Christ: Commandment of God = Word of God = "Moses said" in the case of the TEN Commandments.

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Exodus 20
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 John 5
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Rev 14:12
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

1 Cor 7:19 .. "what matters is keeping the Commandments of God"

Eph 6:2 the 5th commandment "is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise" in that still valid - unit of TEN.

Matt 19 "if you would have eternal life KEEP the Commandments... Which ones?.." then comes Christ list FROM the Ten Commandments.

Romans 7 - quoting the Commandments - from the TEN
Romans 13 - from the TEN
James 2 - from the TEN.

1 John 3:4 "Sin IS transgression of the LAW"

Rom 7 Sin defined by the LAW
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died; 10 and this commandment, which was to result in life, proved to result in death for me; 11 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. 12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Rom 4 - where there is no Law there is no sin.

Rom 3:19-20
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

James 2
8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not commit murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged by the law of liberty.

And of course - under the NEW Covenant the "LAW of God written on heart and mind" - Jeremiah 31:31-33 and certainly Jeremiah knew about the TEN.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The argument against these texts appears to be that God's Word and the Love of God are not compatible with each other. But the texts in the OP show harmony between obeying God's Word and Loving God.

I believe that it's more that harmony; it's a requirement.

IF you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments John 14:15

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe that it's more that harmony; it's a requirement.

IF you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments John 14:15

It is true that rebellion against God is not the path that the saints take as Paul points out in 1Cor 6

"the saints KEEP the commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

by contrast - as Paul points out the lost "do not subject themselves to the LAW of God - neither indeed CAN they" Romans 8:4-10

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed that particular yearly convocation - always has fasting.

Nowhere in the Torah does it say we should abstain from food for any reason.

Why would we abstain from food on the day of the rehearsal of the wedding feast?

Mark 2:

18 And the disciples of John and the Pharisees were fasting, and they are coming and saying to Him, "Wherefore are the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fasting, yet your disciples are not fasting? 19 And Yahshua said to them, "The sons of the bridal chamber can not be fasting while the bridegroom is with them! Whatever time they have the bridegroom with them, they can not be fasting."

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It is if Yom Kippur falls on a weekly Sabbath, as it did this year. Part of the requirement of observing Yom Kippur is fasting.

Leviticus 23:

26 Yahweh spoke to Moses, saying. 27 Then on the tenth of this seventh month, it is the day of propitiatory shelters. It shall be a holy meeting for you, and you will humble your souls and bring near a fire offering (Fire up the Barbeque!) to Yahweh. 28 You shall do no work at all on this very day, for it the day of propitiatory shelters so as to make a propitiatory shelter over you before Yahweh your Elohim. 29 For every soul who is not humbled on this very day will be cut off from his kinsmen. 30 And every soul who does any work on this very day, I will destroy that soul from among his people. 31 You shall do no work at all. It is an eonian statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings. 32 It is a sabbath of cessation for you, and you will humble your souls. On the ninth day of the month in the evening, from evening until evening shall you cease for your sabbath

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere in the Torah does it say we should abstain from food for any reason.

Why would we abstain from food on the day of the rehearsal of the wedding feast?

The day of atonement is the day of judgment. It comes before the wedding feast.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The elephant in your living room is that Christ also agree that the priests were desecrating the Sabbath day, thereby violating the 4th commandment, a fact that you keep running away from:

"Haven't you read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple desecrate the day and yet are innocent?'' (Matthew 12:5-6).

The priests were not merely doing work that was accepted on the Sabbath, they were also doing work that desecrated the Sabbath.

The pro-Sunday scholars who rely on the law are under a curse, just as the pro-Sabbath scholars who rely on the law are under a curse, because "all who rely on observing the law are under a curse" (Galatians 3:10).
Amen brother! We are not fooled by SDA propaganda. :oldthumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: Copperhead
Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
You can't lift that command in John out of the context of the whole book, decontextualized. The Johanine community was not even necessarily aware of the other Gospels. The Gospel of John is focused on the command to believe and to "love one another", with the high point being Jesus sermon in the upper room and washing the disciples feet.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.