"This is the Beginning of the End of the Pandemic" - NJ Hydroxycholoroquine Study a "Game Changer"

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "All patients were high-risk", files: "This is the Beginning of the End of the Pandemic" - Dr. Stephen Smith Announces Hydroxy-Choloroquine Study that is "Game Changer" in Battle Against Coronavirus

No patient under 70.

dr.-smith-coronavirus-600x319.jpg

... not a single coronavirus patient under his care who was on the hydroxychloroquine regimen needed to be intibated.
"The chance of that occurring by chance according to my sons Elan and Hunter who did some stats for me are .000 something. It’s ridiculously low."

Thank you Dr. Smith. :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There is a big red flag here.

"....The chance of that occurring by chance according to my sons Elan and Hunter who did some stats for me are .000 something...."

I think we neeed to see the data and statistical inferences made before we come to a conclusion.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

"....The chance of that occurring by chance according to my sons Elan and Hunter who did some stats for me are .000 something...."

I think we neeed to see the data and statistical inferences made before we come to a conclusion.
The data is accumulating quickly. Two French studies completed, a Chinese study in Wuhan completed and now this study. Four studies now (that I know of). How many studies are needed?

Other current studies include a Minnesota study and New York studies currently under way. At this point any study indicating contrary to the already completed studies could be said to be an outlier.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The data is accumulating quickly. Two French studies completed, a Chinese study in Wuhan completed and now this study. Four studies now (that I know of). How many are needed?

Other current studies include a Minnesota study and New York studies currently under way. At this point any study indicating contrary to the already completed studies could be said to be an outlier.

None of these studies are controlled. All of them are anecdotal and don't really tell us anything. Mind you, if I was in a hospital bed with viral pneumonia I'd be demanding they pump me full of the stuff, but you are wrong to say "data is accumulating", and not just because data is a plural of datum so the correct syntax is "data are accumulating". Anecdotes are accumulating. Sadly, the plural of anecdote is not "evidence".

I also would like to see the stats that resulted in 0.000...whatever that even means. The two other issues for me are the inability to spell "intubated", and the fact it's breaking on a cable TV talking head show.

I also have issue with this particular talking head still saying "it's like the flu". Severe seasonal flu in the US kills ~ 70k people in a year, that's ~ 200 people/day. COVID19 was 5x worse than that yesterday, and it's only just getting started.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hydroxycholoroquine

I hope they are making a lot of it
enough to be available
to all that need it.

Although prescribed to a few now
put the manufacturing machine on high gear (soon please).

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: Zanting
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

But of course. This needs to be published in a peer reviewed journal. And then replicated by other researchers, with carefully controlled studies where some of the folks get placebos, who publish the results in peer reviewed journals. And submitted to the FDA. And studied some more. Two years from now we will be sure. And then it can be rolled out as a treatment. I agree. Except some people will die in the interim.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, the studies thus far are a breath of fresh air at least. They are controlled enough for me to want the stuff if I get this bug. But the results I really want to see are the ones where they used hydroxychloriquine and azithramiacin ( excuse spelling) together because this is said to be noticeably more effective than hydroxychloriquine alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But of course. This needs to be published in a peer reviewed journal. And then replicated by other researchers, with carefully controlled studies where some of the folks get placebos, who publish the results in peer reviewed journals. And submitted to the FDA. And studied some more. Two years from now we will be sure. And then it can be rolled out as a treatment. I agree. Except some people will die in the interim.
Exactly!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Doctors are administering the drug in hospitals.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From China, a very small, controlled study of 62 patients with mild symptoms:

The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine helped to speed the recovery of a small number of patients who were mildly ill from the coronavirus, doctors in China reported this week.

Cough, fever and pneumonia went away faster, and the disease seemed less likely to turn severe in people who received hydroxychloroquine than in a comparison group not given the drug. The authors of the report said that the medication was promising, but that more research was needed to clarify how it might work in treating coronavirus disease and to determine the best way to use it.
The new study, of 62 patients with an average age of about 45, did have a control group. It was conducted at the Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, in Wuhan, China. The patients were carefully chosen to exclude people with medical problems that could be made worse by hydroxychloroquine, like abnormal heart rhythms, certain eye diseases, and liver or kidney problems.

If the drug is helping, it is not clear how. There are two possible ways. In laboratory studies, it can stop the virus from invading cells. But hydroxychloroquine can also dial back an overactive immune system, which is why it can treat autoimmune diseases. And a powerful immune reaction to the coronavirus is suspected of playing a role in some of the severest cases of the disease.

Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any good to who? That's a SKB/GSK patent. Unless you think they are in the business of throwing away money, my guess is if it were any good they'd be making it hand over fist.

Maybe they're too busy laughing at the shipwreck of the footy, who knows?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the treatment they are using has already been tested and approved for use on humans, though for other diseases, it seems unethical and even a liability issue to withhold it from someone who requests it and then dies.

Also, although anecdotal evidence is not nearly as good as a double blind placebo study, it is still evidence. We should never allow the "best" to become the enemy of the better.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,428,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is good news! I hope we increase the use of this stuff. It appears it may be the answer. We however won't know for sure unless we get more use. Holding back may just prolong this disease.

It should be administered responsibly. And it should be reported responsibly. FOX News (and the op) using the term "game changer" is irresponsible.

The hype has reportedly led to shortages of the drug, depriving people who rely on it for treatment of autoimmune diseases -- lupus, RA and JIA.

[disclosure - my wife suffers from RA and takes this drug- fortunately, we were able to refill her prescription without issue]

• Agree
Reactions: ZNP
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, no. We need to have reliable data from good clinical trials. The first trials are already underway, and results will be coming out over the next month or so. Peer review for studies in this space are currently being turned around in two or three days. After that, regulatory approval could be immediate -- it's already been given in the US.

What we want to do is make sure we're not wasting everyone's time on something that doesn't work or even does harm.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What we want to do is make sure we're not wasting everyone's time on something that doesn't work or even does harm.

It does have side effects but,
give me some anyway if I can't breathe.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I'm an inventor in unrelated field and I have to say you're crazy to still be thinking like everything is still normal. Some compromises are needed in crazy times.

You don't have to have a mountain of data to come up with something real.

In another field, I have quite a few game-changing inventions. I succeeded at a lot less cost than others who did the old-fashioned way.

There's a lot of ways highly intelligent people do things quite stupidly and end up wasting a lots of money with very little progress.

Traditional thinking is our #1 enemy. We would have been planting our flags in another planet many light years away in a distant star, 100 years ago if we have not been idolizing traditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0