razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So wait, that "exemption" from lying being a problem in the case of a spouse working things out - you could basically do anything, sell her a bill of goods, and be squeaky clean as long as you did a good enough snow job?

Perhaps a practicing Muslim has a counterpoint to offer? If not, there's a prime evangelizing tool you guys have been letting go to waste ^_^

Upvote 0

Kufffar

Aug 26, 2010
✟15,224.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So wait, that "exemption" from lying being a problem in the case of a spouse working things out - you could basically do anything, sell her a bill of goods, and be squeaky clean as long as you did a good enough snow job?
Pathetic, isn't it? Where and when does it end?

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As to the OP, I would agree that violence is never a solution, however, the burning of some books is a statement on the rejection of islam. It is clear and to the point. It is valid in purging theology of a religion. Hurting some feelings is a mute point when theologically, heaven or hell is the destination for someone's choice of religion.

So does our burning the holy books of other belief systems somehow make the Bible more holy and desirable in the eyes of those we have disrespected and the world full of spectators looking on?

How does it bring glory to our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ to have His (alleged) followers act like mindless thugs?

Have we forgotten Gandhi's great truism, "AN EYE FOR AN EYE AND THE WHOLE WORLD GOES BLIND?"

The best way for a Christian to "reject islam" is to lovingly pray for the Salvation of Muslims.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You know what's REALLY funny? Burning the Qur'an is one of the permissible ways of deposing of it:

Same with the American flag:
United States Code,Title 4 Chapter 1, Section 8, "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

Just thought I'd share...

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Well, the Westboro Baptist Church is PO'ed that they publicly burned a Koran in 2008 and no one cared.

So they plan to burn some Korans if the Gainsville, FL pastor does decide to cancel (again).

Darlings... I especially like the "sissy brats of doomed America".

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Diamond Thunderbolt of Indestructable Wisdom
Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure that will be a great comfort to families of Americans overseas who may die as a result of the offense caused by that "art".

eudaimonia,

Mark

Namaste Mark,

thank you for the post.

is your corollary without this burning there would be no deaths or a noticeable drop in deaths? are you seriously suggesting that without this burning there would be no more deaths at the hands of islamofascists? if that were the case, then i would wholeheartedly agree with you. however, the idea that "if you burn our book we'll have to kill people" is just plain stupid and should not be supported in any fashion. how is that substantially different than the mafia when they politely suggest that if you don't pay some protection money something bad may happen to you or your family?

i've heard it talked about and discussed how this action will lead to more deaths and more danger yet there hasn't been a single bit of intersubjective evidence provided to substantiate this claim. moreover, it is demonstrable that the desire of islamofascists to kill people they disagree with has existed long before this particular burning of Al Qur'an was announced.

i have the impression that many beings object to the burning of Al Qur'an in a way which seems inconsistent with the reality of the digital age. in the bad old days, when books were burned it was quite possible to actually destroy every copy of a book, to wit the Christian and Muslim purges of writings they didn't approve of. in that time, the destruction of books represented a loss of human knowledge and history.. the contiguous thread that runs though human civilization. it simply is not the case today. i suppose it could be possible to collect every paper copy of a book and destroy them but it would still remain the in digital realm and would be easily reproduced.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I find this to be a very beautiful perspective on the Koran burnings:
I would've never looked at it that way. Thank you for sharing that. How ironic is it that the last time such unity was created was in the wake of 9/11?

Namaste razeontherock,

thank you for the post.

all it takes to liberate oneself is to conceive a new thought! ;)

metta,

~v

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
is your corollary without this burning there would be no deaths or a noticeable drop in deaths? are you seriously suggesting that without this burning there would be no more deaths at the hands of islamofascists?

No, I seek to minimize needless deaths, and that starts by refusing to engage in displays of hatred, which can only perpetuate cycles of violence.

Even wars can bring people together and challenge concepts, but that wouldn't quite be sufficient justification for starting wars. The neo-cons are learning this the hard way.

the idea that "if you burn our book we'll have to kill people" is just plain stupid and should not be supported in any fashion. how is that substantially different than the mafia when they politely suggest that if you don't pay some protection money something bad may happen to you or your family?

Refusing to display hatred is in no way like being extorted out of money. One loses nothing but the cheap satisfaction of engaging in a very primitive aspect of human nature, and that is no loss at all.

I'm not suggesting that we should give up our liberal democratic values just to appease Muslims. Our freedom is worth dying for. Our hate is not worth living for.

i've heard it talked about and discussed how this action will lead to more deaths and more danger yet there hasn't been a single bit of intersubjective evidence provided to substantiate this claim.

There isn't a bit of intersubjective evidence to show that burning Qur'ans will bring the world any closer to peace. Certainly, it won't bring the book burners closer to peace of mind.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST,

In my opinion, it would be well for all Christians to keep clearly and passionately in our minds/hearts/spirits a clear realization that the proposed burning of the Quran on 9/11 by an alleged "christian" alleged "church" is neither Christian nor a valid expression of the feelings of any portion of the Body of Christ.

W.W.J.D. may be a trite cliché, but it is still a valid measuring stick as to what is Christian and what is not. THIS TRAVESTY IS NOT!

ephraim

I agree.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
President Obama says that "We are not at war with Islam". Are you saying that we are?

Hint: Mentioning Obama to the Christian Right may not have the desired effect, as they tend to perceive him as Evil Incarnate. Just listen to Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin, and you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Hint: Mentioning Obama to the Christian Right may not have the desired effect, as they tend to perceive him as Evil Incarnate. Just listen to Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin, and you know what I mean.

I prefer not to listen to the rants of the lunatic fringe.

Upvote 0

mcswan

Oct 18, 2007
Connecticut
✟9,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer not to listen to the rants of the lunatic fringe.

Good! I take that to mean you don't watch MSNBC or read the New York Times.

I really think that Frank Rich and Paul Krugman and MODO, and Ed Schultz and Keith Olbermann will rot your brain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vajradhara

Jun 25, 2003
Dharmadhatu
✟19,720.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Namaste mark,

thank you for the post.

Eudaimonist said:
No, I seek to minimize needless deaths, and that starts by refusing to engage in displays of hatred, which can only perpetuate cycles of violence.

are you suggesting that there are needful deaths on occasion? i would happen to agree with such a sentiment if you are.

it would appear that you and i have fundamentally different views on what it means to burn things in protest. i see it in several ways tangentially related to ideas of western society but mainly i see it as Art. i'll grant that such may be due to the fact that most of my own art work revolves around fire... like the fire in Shiva's other hand which represents the passing of time.

its not formal enough to be Artistic but that doesn't stop it from being Art, in my view.

Even wars can bring people together and challenge concepts, but that wouldn't quite be sufficient justification for starting wars. The neo-cons are learning this the hard way.

wars aren't ideas... well.. perhaps they were ideas at some point but when we call it a war it's past the idea stage. this is just the IDEA of burning Al Qur'an! i am confused about your point here as i don't seriously think you are equating humans shooting each other with guns with the burning of books but it seems to be what you are doing. can you elaborate?

Refusing to display hatred is in no way like being extorted out of money. One loses nothing but the cheap satisfaction of engaging in a very primitive aspect of human nature, and that is no loss at all.

i disagree. being threatened with harm if you don't do as someone else wishes is the same irrespective of the reason that you are being threatened with harm to wit the leader of the cordoba house in NY suggesting that if the united states doesn't allow it to be built that Americans and Christians won't be safe from Muslim attack. this is simple and plain mafioso tactics and it's my view that rational beings have a Dharma, or duty, to stand up to it. most are not able to do so for a variety of reasons but that doesn't abrogate their Dharma.

leaving aside, for the moment, the group that is burning Al Qur'an would you be outraged if it were Muslims burning it? i'm just curious if it's the people, the book or something else which you are in opposition do? i.e. would you think it acceptable for a private citizen to burn a book that they own? would it be ok to invite some friends over to watch me burn my book? would it be ok for me to burn my Tipitaka, Bible, Torah and Al Qur'an all at the same time?

I'm not suggesting that we should give up our liberal democratic values just to appease Muslims. Our freedom is worth dying for. Our hate is not worth living for.

i don't see it as hate, i see it as Art. you see it as hate. i would agree that hatred isn't a positive value and does little to promote understanding amongst beings. is it hate to burn the American flag? what if i'm burning my books and not feeling any hatred whatsoever? would you agree or disagree with the idea that a free being should be allowed to express themselves in a manner which others may find repugnant?

to be honest with you i'm not sure how anyone has arrogated to themselves the ability to know the thoughts of those beings burning Al Qu'ran despite their publicity seeking sound bites... and it's not as if they are expressing any particularly outrageous views in that they think every religion other than Christianity is from their devil. i'm fairly sure that if they thought it would be an effective protest they would burn the Tipitaka when H.H. the Dalai Lama came to town

There isn't a bit of intersubjective evidence to show that burning Qur'ans will bring the world any closer to peace. Certainly, it won't bring the book burners closer to peace of mind.

however nobody has offered this as a reason to do so, a bit of a red herring there. it has been repeatedly stated by innumerable people, yourself included, that this action will create *more* death and destruction than the islamofascists would *normally* cause yet there is no evidence that this is so. indeed, it would seem that people that advocate such a view have to view all Muslims as some sort of ignorant children that are incapable of understanding how 50 people do not represent 300,000,000 some odd people, of understanding how cultures are different from one country to the next and so forth. i hear POTUS saying that *this* is action will be a primary if not *the* primary recruiting tool for Al Qaeda even though they have specifically mentioned the military presence in Saudi Arabia and a whole host of other grievances that they have.

if it would be such a great recruiting tool why haven't they just hired some actors to do it and film and and use it?

this sounds suspiciously like the whole yellow cake uranium thing... just using fear to manipulate the people.

i would, naturally, agree that burning books isn't likely to lead them to peace of mind however the Buddhist literature is repleat with stories of the moment of Satori happening at the most bizzare and seemingly "unBuddhist" moments. granted, they've probably not properly prepared their mindstreams for such things but then i'm not in a position to know that.

on a personal level, i don't think it has anything to do with hate, or religion or protest or anything like that... i think that the pastor is a crook and attention seeker and that it's little more than a narcissist trying to feed his narcissism.

metta,

~v

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

Ok, don't stone me here, but I have to confess that I haven't seen this deal as black and white as most of you guys have. :o Hang with me a minute please.

I lean towards thinking this stunt would be just that...a stunt. Deliberately inflammatory and counter-productive. And yes, I do know what the Christian faith teaches about love and overcoming evil with good etc.

I guess the sticking point with me and I don't know that I can explain it sufficiently. I know nothing of Terry Jones, this pastor. I do know he has written a book entitled "Islam is of the Devil." Well...I do think the religion is demonically inspired and to pretend I think otherwise is disingenuous. I just guess I have some feeling certainl NOT of hatred towards muslims, NOT AT All, but the feeling that we may be leaning so much towards tolerance in our nation (we that really call ourselves Christians, I mean) regarding islam that maybe we are in danger of compromising the truth that Jesus proclaimed Himself to the "the ONLY way to the Father." Is it really love if we don't tell people the truth as we see it about what they believe. I mean there really is such a thing as "tough love." On the other hand, I know also that we are to "speak the truth IN LOVE" and burning korans doesn't seem very loving or a very wise method of evangelism.....
Also, I think we do need to make a distinction between hatred of muslims and hatred of islam, the muslim faith.
I love muslims, but I do indeed hate their belief system because I believe it is serious, eternally dangerous error to put it mildly. Given that, how can I really love muslims and not hate what I believe hinders them from coming to Christ? Maybe this is what Terry Jones is trying to convey. I don't know. And regarding what would Jesus do....well, He did clear the temple....

Just some thoughts....

Ok, you can start screaming at me now....:eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, don't stone me here

Don't worry, Neopagans don't stone people -that's a different faith entirely.

I lean towards thinking this stunt would be just that...a stunt. Deliberately inflammatory and counter-productive.

Possibly. Harry Jackson from the Pray and ACT Conference Call was quoted as saying: "God is saying to us "I want to pick a fight in which I can wipe out my enemies and cause them to be silenced once and for all." Picking a fight does sound accurate.

Well...I do think the religion is demonically inspired and to pretend I think otherwise is disingenuous.

It's OK to believe that, but HOW you communicate it makes all the difference to how seriously anyone is going to listen. Protesting at funerals, and burning books, and other similar silliness is just antagonistic and alienating. Tact is key.

Upvote 0

SanFrank

Islam Lies to Muslims - Facebook
Mar 11, 2009
United States
✟17,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, don't stone me here, but I have to confess that I haven't seen this deal as black and white as most of you guys have. :o Hang with me a minute please.

I lean towards thinking this stunt would be just that...a stunt. Deliberately inflammatory and counter-productive. And yes, I do know what the Christian faith teaches about love and overcoming evil with good etc.

I guess the sticking point with me and I don't know that I can explain it sufficiently. I know nothing of Terry Jones, this pastor. I do know he has written a book entitled "Islam is of the Devil." Well...I do think the religion is demonically inspired and to pretend I think otherwise is disingenuous. I just guess I have some feeling certainl NOT of hatred towards muslims, NOT AT All, but the feeling that we may be leaning so much towards tolerance in our nation (we that really call ourselves Christians, I mean) regarding islam that maybe we are in danger of compromising the truth that Jesus proclaimed Himself to the "the ONLY way to the Father." Is it really love if we don't tell people the truth as we see it about what they believe. I mean there really is such a thing as "tough love." On the other hand, I know also that we are to "speak the truth IN LOVE" and burning korans doesn't seem very loving or a very wise method of evangelism.....
Also, I think we do need to make a distinction between hatred of muslims and hatred of islam, the muslim faith.
I love muslims, but I do indeed hate their belief system because I believe it is serious, eternally dangerous error to put it mildly. Given that, how can I really love muslims and not hate what I believe hinders them from coming to Christ? Maybe this is what Terry Jones is trying to convey. I don't know. And regarding what would Jesus do....well, He did clear the temple....

Just some thoughts....

Ok, you can start screaming at me now....:eek:
I agree with the tough love idea. I also hate Islam but wish to reach out to muslims about faith in christ. Perhaps burning a koran in private, without media attention, is wiser.

Upvote 0

SanFrank

Islam Lies to Muslims - Facebook
Mar 11, 2009
United States
✟17,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So does our burning the holy books of other belief systems somehow make the Bible more holy and desirable in the eyes of those we have disrespected and the world full of spectators looking on?

How does it bring glory to our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ to have His (alleged) followers act like mindless thugs?

Have we forgotten Gandhi's great truism, "AN EYE FOR AN EYE AND THE WHOLE WORLD GOES BLIND?"

The best way for a Christian to "reject islam" is to lovingly pray for the Salvation of Muslims.

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim
My problem is accepting the fact that islam takes over the world effectively being the anti-christ (its rejection of the crucifixion). I know it has to happen, prophetically, but I am not looking forward to it.

Reasons for Islam - Christian Forums

Upvote 0