• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured This is Rediculous

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by Introverted1293, Aug 29, 2020.

1. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+7,557
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The latest far-right defense of Trump's botched COVID-19 response is a lie about Obama and H1N1

Trump Youth leader Charlie Kirk is trying to get a new coronavirus talking point going, and Donald Trump is eager to help: But what about the 2009 H1N1 “swine flu”? Specifically, what about the Obama administration’s allegedly botched response to it?

Kirk is spreading lies, but he got a Trump retweet and Rudy Giuliani signed on to the effort to make Donald Trump’s COVID-19 response look less bad by lying about Obama’s H1N1 response.

“This is your daily reminder that it took Barack Obama until October of 2009 to declare Swine Flu a National Health Emergency,” Kirk tweeted. “It began in April of ‘09 but Obama waited until 20,000 people in the US had been hospitalized & 1,000+ had died. Where was the media hysteria then?”

Facts: President Obama declared a public health emergency in April 2009, when there had been just 20 cases of H1N1 confirmed in the U.S., and no deaths. A funding request followed two days later. In October, when there had been 1,000 deaths, Obama declared a national emergency.

(See, there are two different kinds of emergency: a public health emergency, and a national emergency. They trigger different possibilities for action. Obama declared one more or less immediately and the other six months later.)
    The latest far-right defense of Trump's botched COVID-19 response is a lie about Obama and H1N1

Here's how it went when Obama faced the same crisis:
    [​IMG]
    Here's how Trump is doing:
    upload_2020-8-31_7-51-10.png
    Kinda tells it all, um?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  2. The Barbarian

+7,557
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No. It's not a matter of mechanical filtration. Incoming particles tend to adhere to any fibers they contact. So depending on the fiber, there will be entrapment of many virus particles moving through the mask, mostly by electrostatic forces. This is why they provide some benefit to wearers.

3. Tony Ramirez

Tony Ramirez Christian with Asperger's Syndrome

+153
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Masks don't protect fully. Only an hazmat suit fully protects. Otherwise it can get in through the eyes and by touch. A mask is like a mid evil knight only wearing an helmet to protect himself from battle.

4. genez

genez Contributor Supporter

+1,900
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Let the elderly stay home. Let the work force... work. Make sense please.

5. genez

+1,900
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Funny.... as a friendly gift from the dept of health people I knew, I was given an honorary hazmat suit. Its going to be a collectors item someday.

6. The Liturgist

The Liturgist Traditional Liturgical Christian

+989
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    The problems with anosmia in Zicam occurred as a result of routine use; the makers of the drug lost a class action lawsuit. What is more, Zicam is a homeopathic remedy. Its not really a viable medication for treating SARS-Cov2, which is why we aren’t seeing it in use in the ER, ICU and other critical care settings.

7. Hawkins

Hawkins Member Supporter

+294
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    The most effectiveness of a mask is to prevent your own saliva from coming. Saliva is usually the source of such a kind of virus to go from one person to another. The effectiveness is considered proven in highly populated areas such as cities in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. It is said that in order for masks to work this way to prevent an out break of the corona virus, it requires 95% people to wear a mask when going outdoor.

8. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,665
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    It's not saliva, actually. In order for the oxygen to exchange across the lung into the blood, the air must had very high humidity. The body humidifies the air to nearly 100% at temperatures near body temperature, and it exits into the colder ambient air at this concentration during exhalation. The colder air cannot maintain this humidity, and the water falls out of vapor into an aerosol form. The source of this moisture is the nasal passages and the lungs, not the mouth, where the salivary glands reside.

(It's just water, not spit.)

9. Hawkins

Hawkins Member Supporter

+294
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Humid air may contribute to a contract. The main point is, a mask can reduce the effectiveness of such a kind of contribution when saliva is blocked from coming out in the first place.

10. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,665
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I agree. We might call it size exclusion, versus charge exclusion. When it comes to air filtration, as opposed to liquid filtration, a filter can easily capture particles vastly smaller than the pore size, because of electrostatic attraction. They don't need to accidentally touch a fiber on their way through the filter, but they are drawn to it as they pass near it.

The masks do provide some benefit. I wouldn't have people getting too confident in them, though.

11. The Barbarian

+7,557
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Like seat belts. They work, but they aren't a guarantee.

I like your user name.

12. Tony Ramirez

Tony Ramirez Christian with Asperger's Syndrome

+153
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I am actually surprised at society accepting wearing masks. You will think there would be more people protesting. I never expected the masses to accept it.

I must have a dislike for masks from a past experience when I was about 3 or 4 years I was in the hospital and nearly died so seeing people wearing masks really gets too me.

13. genez

+1,900
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
  14. The Barbarian

+7,557
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Bottom line? Surgeons and other OR personnel wear them because they work. They wouldn't do it, otherwise. And yes, I know:

"But my Aunt Harriet told me that Rush Limbaugh said they didn't work. So there!" Doctors also knew that abusing drugs was bad for your brain, and Limbaugh had to learn that the hard way. Hopefully, it won't happen to him again on this issue.

A half-wit decided to politicize an important protective device, pretending it won't work, and the sheeple fell right into line.

15. dms1972

dms1972 Well-Known Member Supporter

+975
    Non-Denom
    Single
    How is there going to be enough of these masks to go around, if they are "universally mandated"?, and because its doubly important for healthcare staff to have their adequate portion, what would you recommend be done to maintain those supplies? Its one thing posting on a forum that they should be "universally mandated" (a phrase that lacking further explanation is rather meaningless).

16. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,102
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Even single-use masks can be washed. My wife says they make it through wash cycles just fine.
    So if you need five, I will send them to you. I have a box in my car.

17. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,102
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    A mask also keeps you from picking your nose. Going direct from doorknobs...or just Knobs, to your nose or mouth.
    [​IMG]

18. dms1972

+975
    Non-Denom
    Single
    If face masks are required to be worn by everyone (which would be pretty much unenforcable - and distract the police from normal policing tasks) - how would there be enough to go round - there is a limited supply. I think it would be better if hospitals had a subdivision that could manufacture their own PPE, and therefore produce whatever quantity they estimate would be needed in the coming year. This would mean that when PPE was in short supply, they would not have to order it from the other side of the world with the risks of it maybe being old stock thats been in a warehouse for years, or getting soiled in transit. It also means they would be using stock that had been freshly manufactured. I don't know whether or not that sort of sub-divisional in-house manufacturing is used by many health services?

19. dms1972

+975
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Thanks for the offer, I re-wash my own, with a dilute solution of bleach. I find it works best if they are not left in the water for a long time, but just submerged briefly then left to dry.

20. dms1972

+975
    Non-Denom
    Single
    There has been studies (I quoted one up the thread) done which demonstrate that wearing a mask significantly reduces the distance water droplets travel if a person coughs or sneezes. This is nothing like the pandemic of 1918

The issue of comfort mentioned in the article would seem to be moot nowadays, they are much better made, unless someone has an allergy to the material - that would be a very very small number of people - and as I have said its not a matter of forcing everyone to wear one everywhere, its only a matter of asking people to wear one in situations such as when on public transport to limit the spread. Immunity is the best defence, you cannot force people who are elderly or have weak immune systems to become immune. A multifaceted approach is needed, not a one size suits all approach.