✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everybody
I don't say that people of the Old Testament are greater than contemporary Christians. And I think there are others who also do not say this.

So, not everybody says this.

In the Old Testament there are people who are examples of what is good. And it can help to read and pray about the good examples of people in the Old Testament. Just saying they are greater is not what we need, I would say. But talk about how someone is a good example for us to follow.

Also, doesn't Jesus say not to worry about being greater than someone else? And what does Jesus say is great? How does Jesus say to be great?

Be humble, simply obey God, and this is great. And Jesus has us loving any and all people. This is great.

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I don't say that people of the Old Testament are greater than contemporary Christians. And I think there are others who also do not say this.

So, not everybody says this.

In the Old Testament there are people who are examples of what is good. And it can help to read and pray about the good examples of people in the Old Testament. Just saying they are greater is not what we need, I would say. But talk about how someone is a good example for us to follow.

Also, doesn't Jesus say not to worry about being greater than someone else? And what does Jesus say is great? How does Jesus say to be great?

Be humble, simply obey God, and this is great. And Jesus has us loving any and all people. This is great.
People admire Solomon and he had like 700 concubines and 300 wives

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person should strive to be accepted by God and not man. Seeking acceptance from man will put you at odds with God.

Jer. 5:7 7How shall I pardon you for this?
Your children have forsaken Me
And sworn by those that are not gods.
When I had fed them to the full,
Then they committed adultery
And assembled themselves by troops in the harlots’ houses.
8They were like well-fed lusty stallions;
Every one neighed after his neighbor’s wife.
9Shall I not punish them for these things?” says the Lord.
“And shall I not avenge Myself on such a nation as this?

22Do you not fear Me?’ says the Lord.
‘Will you not tremble at My presence,

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is not considered to be our good example to follow. So, if he was great, that is not why.

David also is considered a great person of the Old Testament, but he did commit adultery and murder. But God corrected him about that, and there are very good things that David did, which are good example things to help us.

You might read 1 Samuel chapter 30 and see how David could be wrong, but then he did what was right and things worked out very well while he was doing what God had him do.

So, instead of only thinking about if an Old Testament person is greater than us or not, we can evaluate how someone is a good example and if and how a person isn't.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

One thing great about David is he could get correction after he messed up . . . or before he really messed-up big-time. You can read how he was getting ready to do a major bad thing, but Abigail helped him not to do that > 1 Samuel 25. What is great is how he listened to her and glorified God for using her to stop him.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Why people mention people from the old testament as greater people than contemporary Christians?
You should stop comparing yourself to others": ..If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Let each one examine his own work. Then he can take pride in himself and not compare himself with someone else.

When you have done that, then other people pointing out the greatness of others won't matter to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin BT

Jan 18, 2020
Taipei
✟17,705.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why people mention people from the old testament as greater people than contemporary Christians?

Scripture clearly teaches that we are to look to certain people as role models. Scripture doesn't teach that these role models are perfect. Nor does scripture teach a person must be, and must have always been perfect in order to be a possible role model. There are great things to learn through reflection and meditation on the lives of these role models. If you approach these Old Testament and New Testament figures with a mindset of wanting to learn from the successes and failures of these people, then I am convinced you will be greatly blessed. (Assuming you allow yourself to understand the definition of success and failure within the framework Israels legal and ethical framework).

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everybody

I don't, and I haven't heard of anyone who does.

It does seem that a few people in the OT had great faith and/or didn't question God as much as maybe we do today. For example, God called Abraham to follow, Abraham said "where to?", God said "I'll tell you when we get there" and Abraham went. When God told Noah to build an ark, he did. And Moses may have made excuses, but, at the age of 80, he obeyed God, went back to Pharaoh and led the Israelites out of Egypt - not to mention raising his staff and parting the Red Sea, striking a rock to get water and so on. David had faith that God would protect him from an 11 foot, armour wearing Goliath. Whereas today, the whole issue of calling seems far more complicated, and people might say "he wouldn't want me to do that at my age."

Maybe that's what these folk - whoever they are - mean when they say that OT people are greater than Christians. They were not greater; they were ordinary people like you and me. But they showed great/unquestioning faith and obedience, trusted that God would do as he said/promised - and God + 1 is always a majority.

But the heading on this thread say "this is NOT fair" - why isn't it fair?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He did eventually.
But when he became king, God spoke to him and said "Ask for whatever you want me to give you", 1 Kings 3:5, and Solomon replied "I'm only a child and do not know how to rule these people; show me how and give me a discerning heart", 1 Kings 3:6-9.
That pleased God because he could have asked for anything, but asked for the ability to do what God had called him to do. He put God first. Even after he built the most magnificent temple, he worshipped God and said "but how can a building like this contain the God who made the universe?" 1 Kings 8:27.

I don't think people admire him for having many wives and falling away from his faith, but because of his great trust in God.

Upvote 0