Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed that all too often nowadays people make a big show of being generous. They often post it to social media for all the world to see how generous and great then are.
TikTok star delivers $12,000 'tip' to 89-year-old pizza delivery driver struggling to make ends meet | Daily Mail Online
Why not quitely hand him the money?

When I read stories like this I am reminded of the hypocrites in Matthew 6:5 NIV
"for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others." If social media had existed in the time of Christ, I'm sure these same hypocrites would have been posting their prayers to social media and not to God.

There is a practical reason for giving in secret as well. Now that is known he has $12,000 "friends" and "family" will be hitting on him up for a loan that they will never pay back. Then there is the criminal element that will want to share in his good fortune.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've noticed that all too often nowadays people make a big show of being generous. They often post it to social media for all the world to see how generous and great then are.
TikTok star delivers $12,000 'tip' to 89-year-old pizza delivery driver struggling to make ends meet | Daily Mail Online

When I read stories like this I am reminded of the hypocrites in Matthew 6:5 NIV
"for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others." If social media had existed in the time of Christ, I'm sure these same hypocrites would have been posting their prayers to social media and not to God.

There is a practical reason for giving in secret as well. Now that is known he has $12,000 "friends" and "family" will be hitting on him up for a loan that they will never pay back. Then there is the criminal element that will want to share in his good fortune.
People need humility and wisdom, a rare combination. Only Lord Jesus can give us that.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think that you are being too cynical.

Nothing in the reporting indicates that the donors/organizers of the fund to gift the recipient were in it for the notoriety.

As I understand the reporting ...

* The recipients of a pizza delivery were so moved by the service/age of their deliverer ... that they posted a recording of the episode on a popular social network site. They also setup a fund-raiser for the deliveryman, on account of his having to continue to work at an advanced age.

* The fund-raiser raised $12,000, which they ultimately delivered to the recipient.

None of this seems ill-intentioned to me. It started with the publicizing of an act of service, and concluded with a publically known act of grace. Once the deliveryman's service and circumstance was revealed to the public, ... there is no chance that anything resulting from that publicization would be kept private. It had become a public happening.

If it were only the Valdez's who had made this donation, it could possibly have remained private. But the source of the gifting was public ... and so, the gift was made in the public sphere.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 6:3-6
3But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
5"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
6But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.

I try to follow this above in my life, not looking for rewards from man for doing good deeds but many do look for praises from man and I see it also alot in the churches I've attended.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that you are being too cynical.

Nothing in the reporting indicates that the donors/organizers of the fund to gift the recipient were in it for the notoriety.

As I understand the reporting ...

* The recipients of a pizza delivery were so moved by the service/age of their deliverer ... that they posted a recording of the episode on a popular social network site. They also setup a fund-raiser for the deliveryman, on account of his having to continue to work at an advanced age.

* The fund-raiser raised $12,000, which they ultimately delivered to the recipient.

None of this seems ill-intentioned to me. It started with the publicizing of an act of service, and concluded with a publically known act of grace. Once the deliveryman's service and circumstance was revealed to the public, ... there is no chance that anything resulting from that publicization would be kept private. It had become a public happening.

If it were only the Valdez's who had made this donation, it could possibly have remained private. But the source of the gifting was public ... and so, the gift was made in the public sphere.
Yes, it was not ill-intentioned. You are probably right. I am often cynical. We all have our faults.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was an act of mercy orchestrated by the Lord. The TikTok star used his platform for a good work. When you’re granted visibility it’s a great opportunity to demonstrate God’s faithfulness and presence.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is this guy that gave the money, even Christian? If not, what do we expect?

If he is Christian, as the bible says, he has already gotten his reward. Me? I'd a done as you and the bible prefer, given in silence, holding out for the much bigger reward in heaven.

For the Christian, those are the two choices.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

He got the money. That's all I care about. Thank God he received a blessing.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is this guy that gave the money, even Christian? If not, what do we expect?

If he is Christian, as the bible says, he has already gotten his reward. Me? I'd a done as you and the bible prefer, given in silence, holding out for the much bigger reward in heaven.

For the Christian, those are the two choices.

It wasn't a gift from the guy on TikTok anyways he raised the money online but it was other people that actually donated it. And to be fair he kind of had to provide the information he did you can't really expect to get donations from others if you won't tell them what's going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Am a think it would depend on whether the giver himself went public or not. It may have been he didn't go public but someon e who knew tipped off the press what the man had done.

we aren't to seek to publicise our good deeds. If someone else brags about us doing good then we haven't done anything wrong

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It wasn't a gift from the guy on TikTok anyways he raised the money online but it was other people that actually donated it. And to be fair he kind of had to provide the information he did you can't really expect to get donations from others if you won't tell them what's going on.

I see. Thanks

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

If you want to give someone a big tip or a gift go do it. However, the minute you take a pic of it or otherwise post it online you're running afoul of scripture on these matters. If the recipient outs you as having given a gift it isn't difficult to politely decline to comment.

Upvote 0