hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been attending the local methodist church for 3 years now. I have noticed that USUALLY when there is a communion service, the bible verse is changed by the leader from GIVEN to BROKEN. This formulation isn't even in the liturgy when it is used. I have pointed this out once and the preacher hadn't really thought about it.
But it is fulfillment of prophecy that "not one bone of his body should be broken". The preacher just said that of course Jesus' body was badly bruised.
Does this matter? But what other biblical texts are just casually amended. (one guy said that righteousness should be interpreted as our modern justice). And environmentalism is the most important interaction we can make with the world.

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been attending the local methodist church for 3 years now. I have noticed that USUALLY when there is a communion service, the bible verse is changed by the leader from GIVEN to BROKEN. This formulation isn't even in the liturgy when it is used. I have pointed this out once and the preacher hadn't really thought about it.

But what other biblical texts are just casually amended.
No text is being casually amended in this instance as different translations render 1 Cor 11:24 differently. The King James version says "broken for you". The NIV and some other newer translations use the word "given". Other modern translations duck the question altogether and render the verse "this is my body, which is for you".

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed that USUALLY when there is a communion service, the bible verse is changed by the leader from GIVEN to BROKEN.
This is according to 1Co 11:24 in the Byzantine / Majority texts (including the TR). I would not be offended by it because even though "not one bone of his body should be broken," Jesus' joints were dislocated, and his muscles and tendons were torn. So his body was indeed broken, even though his bones were not.

Upvote 0