This is kind of neat. Humor me and participate?

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ships and boats are a whole 'mother matter for me. I would live on the water given a chance. My one regret is not getting my act together and pursuing a career in the Navy or Coast Guard. I love being in a boat on the water, out of sight of land.

I think I would even like piloting a small plane....but being in a big aircraft that I don't control? No. And turbulence....don't get me started on turbulence. Turbulence leads to immediate and certain failure of the plane's structural components, I'm sure of it.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
This is still my problem. I have a very, very difficult time feeling connected to anyone except my mother. I keep only superficial friends because I have no idea how to maintain deep relationships. So I have people to eat food with, but not to wander into the wilderness and ponder the meaning of life.

When it comes to books, I become so invested in the story that it feels like the characters are my friends. Like we went on adventures together. Like we've seen some stuff. Then it feels just so comforting thinking that if they were real, they would understand me. They would get all my quirks and they wouldn't be afraid of my darker side.

I'd like to have a best friend. It seems wonderful.

Hello Gwen!

I was reflecting on how Aspergers was present and impacting my life as a child and a teen, and then I remembered your post.

I, too, read stories like this. I do not connect with people, but I connect with characters. When I read stories I feel like I'm in the story and the characters are my friends, my family. I feel like I'm part of the adventure, part of their world. I also feel this way with TV shows. I get very addicted and obsessed with some TV shows, to the point of feeling like the characters are my friends and I'm part of the show, except that the show is reality (which is probably why I can't watch a show I like without it having been recorded so that I can skip the commercials and get back to my world).

The reason I bring this post up is, I am very possessive of my obsessive interests. I do not like to share my interests with people, and if they try to give involved with my interests, I get very upset because I think they're trying to steal them from me. When I was 15 my show was 'Charmed.' It was my routine every single morning before school and every single day after school to watch charmed. Alyssa Milano (Phoebe) was my girlfriend, she just didn't know it ^_^ . That was my thing, my world, and they were my friends. Mine. All mine. Well, one day I woke up a little late and found my parents and siblings watching Charmed. They had never watched it before. I immediately became furious and grilled them on what they were doing. They, of course, said they were watching Charmed, and they didn't know why I was so upset. I stormed off and didn't speak to anyone unless forces to for probably weeks. They invaded my world, stole my friends, and hijacked my interest.

Looking back this is one of the many, many things that I didn't understand before (as I didn't know I had AS) before that makes perfect sense now.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My wife hates this one: If I feel a dish is too dirty, I throw it away. Then she flips out, why would you do that?! It's dirty, we'll buy another. ^_^

When I was a kid if my food touched each other I wouldn't eat it. I also would eat each different food with a different fork or spoon.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm the type that eats one thing at a time. My favorite meal is loaded mashed potatoes, steak, onion rings, and cottage cheese. First I eat the potatoes, then the cottage cheese, then the steak, and I finish with the onion rings. Every meal is like this. Bacon, eggs, and toast is, toast first, then eggs, then bacon.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Amy hates making nachos supreme just because she can't handle my "process."

She throws chips on her plate in no order, then just throws all the toppings on. So does everyone else. I meticulously place the chips around my plate in a circle, and then I continue the process moving inward until no plate is showing. Then I sprinkle the meat evening all over the top of them. Then I add the tomatoes and other veggies the same way. Then I slowly pour the cheese in rings all around the plate, moving inward like the chips until I come to the center. Then I place perfect drops of sour cream on top. It is beautiful when I'm finished. And perfect. She hates it. Gooooood.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When I was a kid if my food touched each other I wouldn't eat it. I also would eat each different food with a different fork or spoon.

That reminds me of The Curious Incident with the Dog in the Night-time. Has anyone else here read it?

I think I would even like piloting a small plane....but being in a big aircraft that I don't control? No. And turbulence....don't get me started on turbulence. Turbulence leads to immediate and certain failure of the plane's structural components, I'm sure of it.

I love turbulence. I had the time of my life on a flight from Curaçao to Amsterdam a while back. My boyfriend was white-knuckling his way back and I was squealing. I am a terrible girlfriend.

I hate turbulence during landings, though. Had a plane bounce down a runway in Ireland once, then it stopped mid-flight and fell another metre down onto the tarmac. At least, that's what it felt like.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Eh, I'll take your word for it on elevators and let everyone else use them. My fat butt needs the stairs anyways. ^_^

I turned down a trip to Cali when I was 15. My brother and sister went. It was a vacation starting from San Fran, moving on down to LA, and the San Diego. I wasn't getting on that plane. Never a plane, never a ship. Boats in river and lakes, sure, but never a ship in the ocean, ever. I'm barely OK with taking a bus back and forth to Indy to see my dad.

Well, basically any fear I have I'm able to overcome with logic and will. I refuse to be held back by something irrational so I'm not.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting.

I think I may have had some inherent tendencies. These are things I have worked on for many years, and have changed myself in nearly all. My scores would probably be opposite what they are now if I had taken it years ago. I'm almost tempted to retake and answer as I would have when I was young. Some of the scores here may result from a few "have you ever" questions.

Anyway, I wasn't going to post it, lol, but it says they only keep for 1 hour and I can't download on this device. ;

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 65 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 150 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

poly12e.php

Edit:

I hope you won't mind. I was curious, so I went back and took the quiz again, adjusting for those things I know I have changed. It wasn't as different as I had anticipated, but it was different. Just putting it here for my own reference, again since I can't download it. Thanks. :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 137 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 94 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

poly12e.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The difference in your results is vast, and I don't really know what to make of it. You can't make yourself lose Aspie traits and behaviors, but you can learn robotic behaviors, how you think you're supposed to act without actually knowing why or understanding or even meaning it, and you can learn to hide your stims from others and force eye contact; but you can't go from obvious Aspie to obvious NT to that degree. So I'm honestly not sure what to make of your results.

Since you're on the lower end of Aspie traits according to this test (previously anyways) it's probably some other behaviors, phobias, and disorders that can make ASD so hard to diagnose in some people. Like social anxieties and true OCD giving some Aspie hits, but not really being Aspie, which is why you can learn, adapt, and overcome, and that would explain your NT score now. But I'm no professional.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
- I can't do subtraction. I use addition to solve subtraction. I get the answer right, and I do it just as quickly as anyone subtracting the normal way.

- I can't do division. I use multiplication to solve division. I get the answer right, and I do it just as quickly as anyone dividing the normal way.

- I can only partially write in cursive. It's something my hands wouldn't let me learn. In school, when forced to write in cursive, some words would be in cursive and some words would be in print, while other words were a mixture of cursive and print. It's still like this for me when using cursive, of which I only use to sign my name.

- It took me until high school to learn how to use scissors properly. The only way I could use them was upside down; my fingers went in the thumb hole, and my thumb went in the fingers hole. That is the only way I could use them.

- I use a spoon to spread butter, mayonnaise, mustard etc. on bread, but I use a butter knife to stir with.

- Opening, emptying, heating, and eating a can of soup takes anywhere from 3-5 different spoons to finish.

- The volume on the TV has to end with 0 or 5. It can't, for example, be 22 or 23; it must be 20 or 25.

- I have to see the date of every TV show or movie I watch.

- I take 15 minutes to brush my teeth and it must be done in the shower.

- I poop naked. It's the only way. And I fold. I'm convinced that people that crumple are possessed with demons.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The difference in your results is vast, and I don't really know what to make of it. You can't make yourself lose Aspie traits and behaviors, but you can learn robotic behaviors, how you think you're supposed to act without actually knowing why or understanding or even meaning it, and you can learn to hide your stims from others and force eye contact; but you can't go from obvious Aspie to obvious NT to that degree. So I'm honestly not sure what to make of your results.

Since you're on the lower end of Aspie traits according to this test (previously anyways) it's probably some other behaviors, phobias, and disorders that can make ASD so hard to diagnose in some people. Like social anxieties and true OCD giving some Aspie hits, but not really being Aspie, which is why you can learn, adapt, and overcome, and that would explain your NT score now. But I'm no professional.

Well, I'm not trying to explain it. I can only tell you that I'm a different person, living in a different world, and doing (most) things in different ways. I still have "idiosyncrasies" let's call them ;) and I can't do anything to change the sensory input, and I have to be aware of how I focus my attention, but I don't experience things as problems in living my life, and I have learned to get along with people very well.

As far as all the little "must do it this way" things, I have learned the world doesn't end if I place the ice trays facing different directions, and food actually tastes better in combinations sometimes. :)

But I'm not trying to explain things or form any diagnosis, past or present. I was merely curious what the test would reflect. :)

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Oh no Kylissa don't misunderstand. I'm simply saying that I don't know what to make of your results. They puzzle me. ASD is something that can only be suppressed for small intervals, and then it all unleashes again because it's the makeup our your brain, permanent for life. It's like (and this is going to be a weir analogy because I'm weird) a woman abuser putting on his best show to get a woman, but then before long he begins to abuse her because that's who he really is and he couldn't keep the fake self, the lie, going because he's a psychopath; or a homosexual pretending to be straight, having a coverup girlfriend, but eventually not being able to keep up the hoax because he just doesn't like women, it's who he is. So it's just weird to me that you could literally cut your AS score in half and go from AS to NT so drastically. To me that sounds like other disorders and complexes that aren't caused by the genetic and biological makeup of the brain and can be corrected, which would explain the score and your ability to overcome. No accusations and nothing bad, just me putting a theory together.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh no Kylissa don't misunderstand. I'm simply saying that I don't know what to make of your results. They puzzle me. ASD is something that can only be suppressed for small intervals, and then it all unleashes again because it's the makeup our your brain, permanent for life. It's like (and this is going to be a weir analogy because I'm weird) a woman abuser putting on his best show to get a woman, but then before long he begins to abuse her because that's who he really is and he couldn't keep the fake self, the lie, going because he's a psychopath; or a homosexual pretending to be straight, having a coverup girlfriend, but eventually not being able to keep up the hoax because he just doesn't like women, it's who he is. So it's just weird to me that you could literally cut your AS score in half and go from AS to NT so drastically. To me that sounds like other disorders and complexes that aren't caused by the genetic and biological makeup of the brain and can be corrected, which would explain the score and your ability to overcome. No accusations and nothing bad, just me putting a theory together.

Well, you've got me mildly interested by the processes by which I did so. For example, predicting and understanding and I believe ultimately developing a degree of empathy for others. At least as I understand those things. It was a long process - this may sound weird. But I could pick up little cues from animals. Then I read many dozens of fairly realistic anthropomorphic "animal point of view" novels, mostly several or many times each. I can still understand animals that I am familiar with better than people, as far as body language, etc. People have said it's as if I "read the animal's minds" which of course I don't. I just pick up on those tiny cues and I know how they feel, what they're about to do, what they want, and so on. It makes me outstanding at training animals - I probably should have gone into that, lol. But it provided a kind of "bridge," I think, and I put intense work into it for decades. Although I can't "read" people like I can animals, I believe it has helped me immensely. There are other things that helped as well - this was only part of it. But I've been thinking about it since I took this quiz. And some things do remain difficult for me. I'm still terrible with faces, for example. But many things I was able to learn, and yes, in certain things I do recognize that my brain worked differently, but it works well enough ;) and with effort I can learn a great deal, thank God.

Some things were easier. Like I said, I can't control the sensory stuff, though in large part I can control how I react to it. Some I have not yet gotten control over, but they are isolated enough things that I function just fine. No one has to be able to bite raw onions, have sticky hands, or eat food that has been in proximity to iceberg lettuce (that last one means fast food can be a problem though). But most things I have reached a point I deal with it with no one noticing. Some things still give me instant migraines, and some very specific driving conditions I have to avoid because my eyes won't work right, but those rarely happen.

I don't know really. I know I was very different from everyone else in most ways. My childhood memories and experiences never sound like what anyone else relates. But now, all I can say is that I have some little idiosyncrasies (don't we all?!) and some of these are advantages to me in a way. I've pretty much learned to deal with the disadvantage part. Some things take me being purposeful and applying effort, and probably always will. I've been working on it consciously for over 40 years, so ... What still requires effort makes me think it always will. But I am fine in the way I function.

Speaking of which - many of those questions basically assess how one FUNCTIONS, not how one perceives or thinks, for the most part. With that in mind, it doesn't surprise me then that the results changed so drastically.

But as far as real labels for anything, I can't give any. Not sure if that really answers your post or not. And was probably more than I really like to say. But you've gotten me interested in the topic a bit.

Upvote 0