• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

This is dangerous.

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Firstly, I have childhood onset schizophrenia. It is very severe, and treatment resistant, I was put on a locked ward for the first time when I was 13. I am now 30, I have only had my psychosis under control with medication for 10 months.

I appreciate that everyone has a different experience of mental illness, but stopping your medication because someone tells you there is no such thing as schizophrenia, or they managed to do it fine, is dangerous. If you want to stop your medication, that's your choice, but please do it under medical supervision.

It is a real illness. I find it insulting when people tell me I could just go off my medication and be free and happy, I just remember the 17 years of agonising symptoms and hospitalisations, and the symptoms I still have to deal with now. If you are doing well off medication, that's great! But please don't encourage other people to just stop.

Thanks, guys!
Mim

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No problem there.

IF someone else under a doctor's care and professional testing finds out that pellagra sczo (caused by deficiencies known before 1950) can be remedied by correcting the deficiencies, then good.
If that is not the case, then the testing verifies it is not.

All patiently and confidently under the same doctors care all along.

The doctors through testing can make sure that the patients nutrient and toxic balances (too much or too little of anything) in the brain remain within prescribed health standards/ limits.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
I've been tried on mega-vitamins and nutritional treatments. They didn't work at all. I'm not saying they never do, but no one I know of in the system has had them work either. Scientists still don't even know what schizophrenia is exactly. I just know it's painful! :)
There's no harm in trying nutritional and other therapies, but just be careful, that's all.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Firstly, I have childhood onset schizophrenia. It is very severe, and treatment resistant, I was put on a locked ward for the first time when I was 13. I am now 30, I have only had my psychosis under control with medication for 10 months.

I appreciate that everyone has a different experience of mental illness, but stopping your medication because someone tells you there is no such thing as schizophrenia, or they managed to do it fine, is dangerous. If you want to stop your medication, that's your choice, but please do it under medical supervision.

It is a real illness. I find it insulting when people tell me I could just go off my medication and be free and happy, I just remember the 17 years of agonising symptoms and hospitalisations, and the symptoms I still have to deal with now. If you are doing well off medication, that's great! But please don't encourage other people to just stop.

Thanks, guys!
Mim

I am an opponent of beginning prescription medication, but I am very careful not to tell someone to stop while in the middle of a prescribed medication (with all the implications). I agree; it is dangerous.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟117,670.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As per the rules here people should not be telling anyone to stop ANY medical treatment unless advised by their medics I’m fairly sure.

Sadly I have seen it many times too. Totally agree with you.

Aside, I’m very pleased to hear that your psychosis is under control after such a long struggle! I pray that it continues that way (whether with medication or without :)) :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
WLAMM - thanks! I'm still unable to work or study, and require a service dog, but I can actually feel happiness and talk to other humans - praise the Lord. But, I've learned to trust, if I get sick I am not out of God's hands.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟117,670.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WLAMM - thanks! I'm still unable to work or study, and require a service dog, but I can actually feel happiness and talk to other humans - praise the Lord. But, I've learned to trust, if I get sick I am not out of God's hands.

I’m a firm believer in God and medicine in harmony. You know the jokes about the flood and the boats? Where the guy drowns and gets to heaven and protests why God didn’t answer his prayers and God says ‘I sent you two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want’. That kind of frames my thoughts well.

It’s awesome you have a service dog. People I know who could really use them tend to find it very very hard to get one. Is it as hard where you are?

Upvote 0

Sam1986

Dec 30, 2018
Hardy Town
✟10,687.00
Country
Gibraltar
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Thanks, guys!
Mim

Strongly agree with your post

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Thanks, guys!
Mim
The rule is, that the person who prescribed the medication is the only person who should be advising you to cease administering it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Scientists still don't even know what schizophrenia is exactly.
They used to know, before 1950. (specifically, but not for all cases, btw - each must be tested to verify)
Look into that (just for information) the next seven days or next seven years if Yahweh permits and directs. (He is very good resource! and trustworthy too! ) :) .

Around the untied states, and the world, some (doctors) still know. Finding them is the search.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Around the untied states, and the world, some (doctors) still know. Finding them is the search.

No, it is now probably several illnesses, the location may be in the limbic system, or several other places or all of them.

WLAMM - in Australia, you have to buy and train your own, then get a certified trainer to administer the Public Access Test. My first one was a border collie from the RSPCA, now I have a kelpie from another shelter. You also need a letter from your psychiatrist saying you really do need a service dog.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟117,670.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think there’s a method you can have your dog trained and officially certified to be considered legally a service dog but mostly here you have to rely on charities with limited funds. Guide dogs for blind people are slightly easier (though insanely difficult still) because there’s more awareness and slightly more money. ‘Emotional support animals’ can get certified I think for some mental health on occasion but it’s hard. They also have different legal status to a service dog. It’s hard to get for autism and epilepsy as well, as friends have said to me.

When my sons a little older I want to get him a service dog to help with his autism. To help control him in public (stop him bolting and keep him calm in situations he can’t help) and to provide a bond all the time for him as well. But I doubt I can do it as there’s nowhere local that can do the training or anything. Let alone the expense.

I love Border Collies! Very very loyal dogs. Do you have a picture of your kelpie?

Upvote 0

Mhiriam

Dec 29, 2018
Melbourne
✟19,203.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
No, in Australia they just introduced MindDog, they help you train your psychiatric service dog but you still have to buy and train them yourself - because of the nature of a PSD, it works best if the mentally ill person trains them themselves. For physical service dogs, yes you get them trained already.

Here's Calypso (my kelpie) posing. What a show off!

Attachments

• Calypso 2.JPG
    Calypso 2.JPG
    516.7 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Couldn't agree more, Mim.

Here's Calypso (my kelpie) posing. What a show off!

Lovely photo! I have one of my daughter in the same place...
ArtVo.jpg

Upvote 0