This Green-Fingered Gardener Has Grown Something Amazing – A Sunflower With 27 Heads

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A green-fingered gardener was stunned to find his self-seeded sunflower had grown a staggering 27 heads.

Barry Boyton turned up to his garden one day this spring to find the plant was blooming with not one, not two, but multiple heads.

It is not uncommon for a sunflower to have several heads on a single stem, although experts say twenty is usually the maximum.

But despite his high number, Barry, of Yeovil in Somerset, England, is still a long way off from threatening the world record–thought to be more than 100.

This Green-Fingered Gardener Has Grown Something Amazing – A Sunflower With 27 Heads

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I tried going there but then a really weird page came up and told me that my PC was infected with a virus. I think it's only a scam, but I'm not risking that again so I'll just take your word for it and say that that's really neat. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried going there but then a really weird page came up and told me that my PC was infected with a virus. I think it's only a scam, but I'm not risking that again so I'll just take your word for it and say that that's really neat. :)
I never had that issue with the site.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I grew several sunflowers one year. What amazed me was how tall they got. They went higher up then some of the telephone lines and one had it's head drooping over the line. I never measured them, I did collect the heads and dry them for their seeds. But I never had more than one head on a stem. They were quite spectacular as they were. I actually had to call the phone company and they came and got the thing up over the line.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew several sunflowers one year. What amazed me was how tall they got. They went higher up then some of the telephone lines and one had it's head drooping over the line. I never measured them, I did collect the heads and dry them for their seeds. But I never had more than one head on a stem. They were quite spectacular as they were. I actually had to call the phone company and they came and got the thing up over the line.
I love sunflowers of all types. The Teddy Bear sunflower caught my eye this year.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I love sunflowers of all types. The Teddy Bear sunflower caught my eye this year.

I wish I knew what type mine where. I don't remember. I lived in North Dakota for 4 1/2 years---fields of sunflowers there, but they were about a tall as me---I'm 5' 3--the ones I grew were in northern Calif. A field of those monsters would be quite a sight, I had no idea they got to tall. And I never heard of multiple heads---well, at most only 2, I would like to see a 27 head one for myself! Mine were also quite large heads---about 14 inches across. It was quite a bundle of seeds I harvested

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish I knew what type mine where. I don't remember. I lived in North Dakota for 4 1/2 years---fields of sunflowers there, but they were about a tall as me---I'm 5' 3--the ones I grew were in northern Calif. A field of those monsters would be quite a sight, I had no idea they got to tall. And I never heard of multiple heads---well, at most only 2, I would like to see a 27 head one for myself! Mine were also quite large heads---about 14 inches across. It was quite a bundle of seeds I harvested
We grow fields of them here. It’s a sight to behold. Check out the link. There is a pic there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We grow fields of them here. It’s a sight to behold. Check out the link. There is a pic there. :)

I did, mine were at least twice that height, and the heads were about 3-4 times bigger! I only had about 6 of them. I loved those N. Dakota sunflower fields. Acres of them.
And I had no trouble at all on that site. have never had any trouble with any of your sites.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I bet you have the giant sunflower.
I did, mine were at least twice that height, and the heads were about 3-4 times bigger! I only had about 6 of them. I loved those N. Dakota sunflower fields. Acres of them.
And I had no trouble at all on that site. have never had any trouble with any of your sites.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, wow!! That was what I grew---massive! I wish they had shown the flower itself, they are as big as a plate---and that is just the seed pad, then the petals stick out from that. Talk about memories those pictures brought back--thanks!
No problem. I grow them too. They are awesome. What I do is clip off the heads in the fall when they are almost spent and mic them with my pumpkins a gourds for fall decor outside. The birds love it. :)

Upvote 0