• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

This generation shall not pass away...

Discussion in 'Eschatology - Endtimes & Prophecy Forum' started by Achilles6129, Sep 28, 2013.

1. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,450
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. A New World

A New World Member

+56
    Christian
    Married
    You're welcome. I admit I try to fit too much information in one post. I'm trying to learn how to edit them a little better to make them shorter.

Most of them.

The word translated 'world' in each of the above verses is correctly translated 'age' in most modern translations. Read in the proper context they support the preterist view.​

I believe Luke 21 is parallel with Matthew 24 and Mark 13. They were all the same discourse.

The disciples asked about the end of the age not the end of the world. Again, I think the misunderstanding comes from a misfortunate translation.

I like the "no way Hosea" comment. Never heard that one before.

Again, I believe the context of Jesus' answers was the end of the Old Covenant age.

Since a biblical generation was closer to forty years I think the idea that 1948 is related to Scripture is losing credibility. I remember the hysteria over the approaching years of both 1981 (the imagined beginning of the tribulation) and then 1988 (the coming of Christ and the end of the age). The revision of these dates over the succeeding years continues even though we are at sixty seven years and counting from May 1948.

I do think James was referring to a first century audience. They were of the scattered twelve tribes and they were believers. I don't know why you believe this means James couldn't have been writing to his current generation. I've never heard a distinction between "old twelve tribes" and "New Twelve Tribes."

I believe both James and Peter were addressing the believing remnant being called out from all twelve tribes of Old Covenant Israel in the last days of that age.

James called his audiences firstfruits:

James 1:18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

Notice James included himself with the firstfruits.

Peter wrote to those of the Dispersion (1 Pet. 1:1) who I believe were also the twelve tribes scattered abroad.

John called the 144,000 from the twelve tribes 'firstfruits' (Rev. 14:4). Notice they were "redeemed from among men" meaning they were a remnant.

Paul mentioned the remnant being saved out of Old Covenant Israel:

Romans 9:27 Isaiah also cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, The remnant will be saved.

Romans 11:5 Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

He also referred to himself and his audience as firstfruits:

Romans 8:23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.

I think the evidence points to the first century generation. That was the only time there could have been firstfruits of the gospel a remnant from the twelve tribes of Old Covenant Israel.

I do believe the writers words were directed to the first century audiences they identified.

I disagree.

Many share your opinion but I'm trying to remain as close to Scripture as I can.

I'm suspicious of the motive behind this idea. I've heard it but I don't think it's supported by the text.

The gospel went out to all the Roman world and the end of the age did arrive.

Thank you and may God bless

3. kingdomwitness

kingdomwitness A Preacher Sent Unto The Nations.

+9
    Christian
    Single
    Jesus probably referred to the generation that would see all the signs stated by Him.

4. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,450
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. grandvizier1006

grandvizier1006 Still a human by God's grace Supporter

+2,016
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    It's not this generation, that's for sure. People need to quit believing in young people. I'm young and I see nothing good coming from my generation. Just a bu ch of selfish idiots who want their bread and circuses

6. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,450
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /

7. A New World

A New World Member

+56
    Christian
    Married
    Jesus answered the question: "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

So, there's no reason to think He was speaking of anything other than the end of the age in which they were living.

8. Straightshot

Straightshot Member

+293
    Christian
    "Jesus probably referred to the generation that would see all the signs stated by Him."

Yes He is for sure

And in the first century as well

All humans regenerated, Israel and the Gentiles [the other nations] alike, from Noah after the flood are included in the scope

Judgment ................. to judgment [Matthew 24:33-39]

9. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,450
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /

10. Straightshot

Straightshot Member

+293
    Christian
    "So, there's no reason to think He was speaking of anything other than the end of the age in which they were living"

So what is your reasoning to tell otherwise .... got proof?

And what makes you think that the Roman incursions can be considered and ending to one of the Lord's dispensations? .... be specific

11. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,501
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    Unless He was taping it for later playback, I'd bet He was referring to the people He was talking to.

12. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,501
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    Was He facing them when He said it, or had He turned with His back to them so as to face the audience?

Sorry, I must have missed the many references to the Lord's Dispensations in Scripture. How precisely does the Bible say they're to end?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  13. Straightshot

Straightshot Member

+293
    Christian
    "Sorry, I must have missed the many references to the Lord's Dispensations in Scripture. How precisely does the Bible say they're to end?"

You have obviously missed them Jip

So why not take some time and find them for yourself .... every one is in the Bible

.... better for you to take on the task than for me to explain

Essential for understanding Bible prophecy correctly .... otherwise you never will

14. Jipsah

Jipsah Blood Drinker

+1,501
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Others
    I don't feel too bad about that, though, since all the translators of the Bible appear to have missed them as well.

Is this like The Bible Codes? Such wow!

Yeah, I can certainly see that from your standpoint. <ROFL>

Which means I won't know the exact date and time of "The Rapture" like y'all do? Dang, I hate that. <Laugh>

15. BABerean2

BABerean2 Newbie Supporter

+4,507
    Christian
    Married
    Are these the same "generation"?

Mat_3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

1Pe_2:9
    But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Are those spoken to in these two verses alive during the same "generation"?

16. Straightshot

Straightshot Member

+293
    Christian
    From Noah to this very day and including the populations of the earth during the time of the end of this present age

17. parousia70

parousia70 I'm livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+2,606
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The age of the everlasting Gospel has an end?

18. A New World

A New World Member

+56
    Christian
    Married
    Yes. The terminal generation of Old Covenant Israel in the first century AD had become faithless, crooked and perverse (Mt. 17:17; Acts 2:40; Phil. 2:15). This was in fulfillment of Moses prophecy concerning Israel's latter days (Deut. 31:29; 32:5,20). Her judgment was imminent and would arrive at the end of the Old Covenant age in AD 70.

Peter referred to the generation of believers being called out of Old Covenant Israel during her last days. They were being raised up as the corporate body of Christ. They were receiving the promises of the age to come by faith.