This doesn't sound like eternity to me....

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the abyss and a huge chain. He seized the dragon, the old snake, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the abyss, then locked and sealed it over him. This was to keep him from continuing to deceive the nations until the thousand years were over. After this he must be released for a little while. ...
Revelation 20

He must be released for a little while? And is this 1000 God years, or one day? I don' t understand why he gets out? This scares me.

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's the final purge after the millennial reign. Even with Christ ruling on earth there will be a few who will be drawn to the evil ways of the devil. Simple suggestion: don't follow his evil ways and you will be fine, you know his destination. The devil is not our problem he will be handled.

Reactions: Davy
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the abyss and a huge chain. He seized the dragon, the old snake, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the abyss, then locked and sealed it over him. This was to keep him from continuing to deceive the nations until the thousand years were over. After this he must be released for a little while. ...
Revelation 20

He must be released for a little while? And is this 1000 God years, or one day? I don' t understand why he gets out? This scares me.
Don Stewart :: Why Will God Release the Devil for a Short Time after Christ Returns?
font_conBar_a.png

stewart_don.jpg

One of the events that occurs after the Second Coming of Christ has caused some question in the minds of believers. After Christ returns, He has Satan bound for a thousand years. However at the end of the thousand years, He releases Satan for a short period of time.

And when the thousand years are finished, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall come forth to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to the war: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up over the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down out of heaven, and devoured them (Revelation 20:7-9).

Why would God do something like this? Once Christ has returned and Satan has been bound, why allow him to be released for a short time and deceive the nations?

Is Already Bound

First, there are some who believe that Satan has already been bound. They argue that his release will be soon before Christ comes again, and not after the Millennium - the thousand year reign of Christ.

Has Not Been Bound

Other believers see the binding of Satan as something future. If this is the case, then the Bible gives us no reasons as to why this happens. There have been several different answers that have been offered to this question.

No Excuse For Anyone

Many see the release of Satan as one last chance to show humanity that they have no real excuse for rejecting the truth of God. The excuse that is often used is as follows: if people only knew that God existed, then they would believe in Him. During this last rebellion of Satan, there will be no one denying God's existence. Even though people know that God exists, and that He is a loving and caring God, some will still refuse to follow Him. By allowing this scenario, God will once-and-for-all show humanity that rejecting Him is not based upon the fact that we cannot see Him. Even when people know that God exists, they will still reject Him.

Sin In The Heart

This shows that sin remains in the human heart apart from any influence of the Devil. Not now, and not in the future, can all evil be blamed upon Satan and his evil forces. Sin is found in the human heart. The Bible says.

The heart is devious above all else; it is perverse - who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9).

Summary

After Christ returns, Satan will be released for a short time to deceive the nations. As to why, we are not told. Some Christians see this release before the coming of Christ rather than after He returns. Why Will God Release the Devil for a Short Time after Christ Returns?

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 20

1. Satan gets bound after tribulation in the pit
2. Christ rains from Jerusalem but there are other nations in the world ,they ought to come worship him ect.
3. Earth is rejuvinated ( humans too , they start living around 900 years aswell , person dying 100 year old is considered child and died due to sinfull life )
4. after 1000 years Devil is loosen up from pit
5. he deceives nations agains , this time Christ finally destroys all who reject him , Devil is thrown into lake of fire
6. New heaven and new Earth
7. Eternal life

Shouldn't be scared of the defeated devil cuz one angel will bind him into pit , you in resurrected body are above angels in authority and power

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 20

The Greek Orthodox Church does not use Revelation in its liturgy. An early church historian named Eusebius was an advisor to Constantine, the Roman emperor who legalized Christianity. In his book Ecclisiastical History, Eusebius published objections to Revelation stating it is a forgery not written by the apostle John.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Greek Orthodox Church does not use Revelation in its liturgy. An early church historian named Eusebius was an advisor to Constantine, the Roman emperor who legalized Christianity. In his book Ecclisiastical History, Eusebius published objections to Revelation stating it is a forgery not written by the apostle John.

I think that is true for many of the ancient churches. I know it is true for the Coptic Church with the exception that it is read, once a year continuously during the prayer services of Holy week. I am 100% that this has really nothing about serious questions of legitimacy, even though it was a controversial book for the Eastern Church. Since it was accepted into the Canon that would be enough to have it read in the Lectionary and Liturgy. (Those things may be based on ancient patterns and traditions but also get revised down through the centuries) But much of it has to do with various issues of it being a difficult book, etc.
Not to mention the actually prohibitions in the book itself.

Rev 22
8 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

I told my best friend how the Coptic Church uses the book reading the whole thing through once a year, and he reminded me of this passage, which seems to take the warning that takes place near the end of the book very seriously! (Quoting just a few passages might be considered "Subtracting from it"). And the Coptic Church's use of it actually mirrors how much of the early church heard many of the NT books especially the epistles.

But the Commentary from Coptic people on the Church's use of the book reflects the notion that Church worked out it's church calendar and readings, and this was the one new Testament book that didnot appear anywhere in the lectionary readings (probably due to being the last received canonically), so they jammed it into that one place they had room during Holy Week, which was strangely appropriate being a time of fasting and reflection and the book's Apocalyptic nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that is true for many of the ancient churches. I know it is true for the Coptic Church with the exception that it is read, once a year continuously during the prayer services of Holy week. I am 100% that this has really nothing about serious questions of legitimacy, even though it was a controversial book for the Eastern Church. Since it was accepted into the Canon that would be enough to have it read in the Lectionary and Liturgy. (Those things may be based on ancient patterns and traditions but also get revised down through the centuries) But much of it has to do with various issues of it being a difficult book, etc.
Not to mention the actually prohibitions in the book itself.

Rev 22
8 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

I told my best friend how the Coptic Church uses the book reading the whole thing through once a year, and he reminded me of this passage, which seems to take the warning that takes place near the end of the book very seriously! (Quoting just a few passages might be considered "Subtracting from it"). And the Coptic Church's use of it actually mirrors how much of the early church heard many of the NT books especially the epistles.

But the Commentary from Coptic people on the Church's use of the book reflects the notion that Church worked out it's church calendar and readings, and this was the one new Testament book that didnot appear anywhere in the lectionary readings (probably due to being the last received canonically), so they jammed it into that one place they had room during Holy Week, which was strangely appropriate being a time of fasting and reflection and the book's Apocalyptic nature.
There was a Greek Orthodox member in CF who wrote the book is not used in their liturgy.

When I was in high school during the 70’s there was a book published claiming to be an interpretation of Revelation. It is titled, “The Late Great Planet Earth.” People in my church were talking about it. Gog or Magog was supposed to be the U.S.S.R. The various symbols were interpreted and predictions of coming events were made. Problems occurred as none of the predictions happened.

People may prefer books of the Bible over other books of the Bible. Some people prefer the Gospel of John over the Book of Joshua any day of the week. Christ is preferred to those who opted for stoning their neighbors. Israel has done away with the death penalty for decades. Repentance is good. Murder is evil.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Don Stewart :: Why Will God Release the Devil for a Short Time after Christ Returns?
font_conBar_a.png

stewart_don.jpg

One of the events that occurs after the Second Coming of Christ has caused some question in the minds of believers. After Christ returns, He has Satan bound for a thousand years. However at the end of the thousand years, He releases Satan for a short period of time.

And when the thousand years are finished, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, and shall come forth to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to the war: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up over the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down out of heaven, and devoured them (Revelation 20:7-9).

Why would God do something like this? Once Christ has returned and Satan has been bound, why allow him to be released for a short time and deceive the nations?

Is Already Bound

First, there are some who believe that Satan has already been bound. They argue that his release will be soon before Christ comes again, and not after the Millennium - the thousand year reign of Christ.

Has Not Been Bound

Other believers see the binding of Satan as something future. If this is the case, then the Bible gives us no reasons as to why this happens. There have been several different answers that have been offered to this question.

No Excuse For Anyone

Many see the release of Satan as one last chance to show humanity that they have no real excuse for rejecting the truth of God. The excuse that is often used is as follows: if people only knew that God existed, then they would believe in Him. During this last rebellion of Satan, there will be no one denying God's existence. Even though people know that God exists, and that He is a loving and caring God, some will still refuse to follow Him. By allowing this scenario, God will once-and-for-all show humanity that rejecting Him is not based upon the fact that we cannot see Him. Even when people know that God exists, they will still reject Him.

Sin In The Heart

This shows that sin remains in the human heart apart from any influence of the Devil. Not now, and not in the future, can all evil be blamed upon Satan and his evil forces. Sin is found in the human heart. The Bible says.

The heart is devious above all else; it is perverse - who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9).

Summary

After Christ returns, Satan will be released for a short time to deceive the nations. As to why, we are not told. Some Christians see this release before the coming of Christ rather than after He returns. Why Will God Release the Devil for a Short Time after Christ Returns?
Thank you. That explains a lot. I had never thought of it like that.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Revelation 20

Satan must be loosed a final time after Christ's future "thousand years" reign in order to fulfill the Scriptures.

As written, 'all' knees MUST bow and confess like Paul said in Romans 14:10-12. That is the idea of all Christ's enemies being made His footstool first, before delivering up the kingdom to The Father (1 Corinthians 15:23-28). Jesus said He will even make the false Jews of the "synagogue of Satan" to come worship at the feet of His elect in that future time (Revelation 3:9). This is why Satan will be locked in his pit prison during the "thousand years" (which will be literal years by the way, probably per Hebrew reckoning for a year). It is so Jesus will reign over all His enemies first.

I consider that 1,000 years to be mainly for those who did not have their 1st opportunity to hear The Gospel and believe. We know per Paul in Romans 11 that God blinded Israel in part so The Gospel would go to the Gentiles, but when the fullness of the Gentiles comes in, that blindness will be removed (at Christ's return). Thus many of the unbelieving Jews will then believe, but will stand in judgment throughout Christ's 1,000 years reign.

Likewise with any others who rejected Him, or those in the Church that fell away, they will stand in judgment too for that 1,000 years. That is the idea Lord Jesus gave also to those of His Church in Revelation 16:15, warning us to not be deceived, for He said He comes "as a thief", so keep your righteous garments, lest you appear naked (spiritually) and in shame (when He appears).

What was His warning about with that "as a thief" idea? He gave that thief idea in conjunction with the day of His return per the end of Matthew 24 and Mark 13. Apostles Paul and Peter revealed that day is the last day of this world when Jesus returns to gather His faithful and end this present world (1 Thessalonians 5; 2 Peter 3:10-14).

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2020
Paradise Palms
✟498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Revelation 20
Yes, the devil must be, but there is nothing to fear.

He must be released for a little while?
Yes, a short season.

And is this 1000 God years, or one day?
Both, as they are one and the same things - 2 Pet. 3:8, Psa. 84:10, 90:4, for with God it is as the Day of the Lord, but for us, it accounts 1,000 years. Bound at the beginning, released at the end.

I don' t understand why he gets out?
The "chain" - Rev. 20:1, and being "bound" - Rev. 20:2, are the same, and refer to the circumstance that the devil will be in, and he will be bound in that circumstance so long as it lasts, in short the 1,000 years, vss 2-7.

The chain is not physical, for the devil is able to break such - Mar. 5:3-4; Luk. 8:29; for angels have supernatural strength, Act. 12:7.

The chain is one of circumstance, Psa. 73:6; Lam. 3:7.

It is in vs 8 that the answer is found about the circumstance. It involves deception, one last time. While the devil has no one to deceive, Rev. 20:5, the 'rest of the dead lived not again until' during that period of time, he is thus bound. He cannot deceive, until the wicked 'dead' are raised to life, Rev. 20:5, 'until the thousand years were finished', Rev. 8-9. It is they who are to be deceived, one last time. The saints cannot ever be deceived again at the beginning of the 1,000 years.

This scares me.
There is nothing to be afraid of, except that it be in not knowing God, and thus be left outside of the city to be deceived in that resurrection of wicked. Otherwise, you have nothing to fear.

If you would like to know more, ask please, or get a hold of me.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums