Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mother was telling me just a while ago about how she went to see the doctor and he believes there may be the possibility of her having an auto-immune disease, and he wants to run test for her tomorrow to see what the specific problem may be. She often seemed rather sickly - almost as often as not - over the last two years or so, so this does not bode well. I guess after the test tomorrow we will know soon enough. My mother says she is scared, but thankfully on the plus side she also said that, if it does turn out to be the worst, at least Stephen Hawking managed to live with an auto-immune disease for a pretty long time before he finally died (I hadn't known that), so at the very least it sounds like she is trying to see the bright side, like the results of this test won't totally ruin her life even if it is what the doctor is fearing.

Please pray for us. I manage to handle these kinds of things better than some, and I even have taken to waiting on my mother lately in small ways when she is not feeling well (something I may need to get used to doing a lot more for a while, perhaps permanently if worse comes to worst and I discover that the Spirit wishes for me to stay and take care of her for the rest of her life instead of move alone to Canada; I do not completely discount that possibility). However, my sister might not, or other family members. I admit I tend to think of my mother and sister in particular as having the flaw of being over-dramatic and seeing only the worst possible outcome in bad situations, and it would exasperate me easily, but, well, that shouldn't be my mindset right now. It's not a laughing matter. May need to man up and take the lead soon.

(In fact, she just now came in and asked me to stay with her until she goes to sleep for fear of stopping breathing because of her cold right now. Again, I tend to see this as over-reacting, but, I need to go now and handle it better than this.)

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Auto immune disease like Stephen Hawking? Are you talking about ALS? I have a friend whose mother died from it and it's downright horrible to watch her gradually lose control of herself. Your mother will need all the prayers she can get.

You're in my prayers. I'm really sorry your mother is in a very unfavorable situation right now.

We do not know for sure yet. Maybe it will be nothing, or at least something not nearly as debilitating. Something like ALS is only what she says the doctor fears is a possibility right now.

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(In fact, she just now came in and asked me to stay with her until she goes to sleep for fear of stopping breathing because of her cold right now. Again, I tend to see this as over-reacting, but, I need to go now and handle it better than this.)

Shoot. This is actually the first time she actively, seriously asked me to take Tallulah out of the room to stay with me for the night, just now, so Tallulah wouldn't keep bothering her while she tried to get to sleep. I mean, I have taken to keeping the dog with me a few times before for the night so my mother could get a decent rest, but, all the times she asked before, she sounded half-joking. But this time, it was way more serious.

Again, we can only pray that the tests tomorrow will show that it isn't a chronic weakening of the immune system that will make the rest of her life harder than it needs to be.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, you have full awareness of the situation and I can't imagine what you're going through right now.

Well, like I said before, I tend to handle this kind of thing better than some, perhaps too stoically for my own good sometimes, but I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
ALS is not an autoimmune disease. It's a disease of the central nervous system. Autoimmune diseases would be lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and ankylosing spondylitis (which I have).

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Autoimmune diseases would be lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and ankylosing spondylitis (which I have).

Actually now that you mention it, it was lupus she said that her doctor mentioned specifically might be a possibility, not ALS.

I wasn't sure why she mentioned Stephen Hawking as an example of living with auto-immune disease. But the most I knew about the guy was by his face and that Trump once mocked him after Hawking gave some criticism. I didn't know exactly what it was Hawking had, so I didn't say anything and just chalked it up to my mother trying to make a positive statement, like she wasn't going to let the results of the testing ruin her life, or that she still had hope to live to a good enough age even if it turned out to be the worst case scenario, so, that was good at least.

And again, for all we know, it will turn out to be nothing so bad after all.:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟150,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm really sorry to hear about your mother. :( That is not fun for anyone to have to go through. Prayers for you and for her, that it may be nothing serious and that God will guide you through it all. :prayer:

I'm no expert or anything, but it could be possible that she has something other than an auto-immune disease weakening her immune system. It's a good idea to get it checked out, though. My prayers go out to you both. :purpleheart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently my mother's doctor only took her blood today, and will see what to do from there.

She's intent on still going to the ballgame tonight (Astros, I guess?), and I suppose that, even as bad off as she has perpetually been lately, I can't blame her for not wanting tickets she bought before the fact to go to waste. I was like, all man-of-the-house tone ^_^, "If you are still going, I mean it; don't be getting crazy out there." Made her practically swear in blood that she'd take it as easy as possible.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Am praying for you all.

I know that something might not make sense too you and the fact it may seem that she's overreacting, remember that illness still have an effect on anxiety and stress. So her worry over her stop breathing could be down to her anxiety over whats going on and its the only way she can express it if that makes sense. I know this can be hard at times.

Praying for you x

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that something might not make sense too you and the fact it may seem that she's overreacting, remember that illness still have an effect on anxiety and stress. So her worry over her stop breathing could be down to her anxiety over whats going on and its the only way she can express it if that makes sense. I know this can be hard at times.

Praying for you x

You are right. Thanks, Fire Girl. :)

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would imagine when your mother's doctor suspects she has an 'auto-immune disease', he's referring to a disease relating to her thyroid. If so, that is very common and treatable. I have a thyroid auto-immune disease called Hashimotos, and left untreated it'll totally make you feel miserable, sickly, depressed, tired...the whole nine yards. If your thyroid is off, everything is off.

But whatever the outcome, I'll definitely keep her in my prayers, SK. :blueheart: I understand the anxiety you're probably feeling about all this.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you again, everyone, for showing this much support and so quickly, even. :angel:

Your information also gives me hope that this may not turn out so bad, at least not on a relative basis, @Miss Spaulding . At least if it is something like your Hashimotos, it can be treated to where one can still live pretty well physically and not be utterly bogged down by medications and regimens, right?

... Also, I just realized that when my mother left for the ballgame earlier (the one in which I warned her she'd better not make things worse for herself physically, if she still intends to attend it ^-^), she went along with my neighbors Rudy and Sandy so now her car is still blocking mine in the driveway ... and now I cannot go grab Chick-Fil-A for dinner. :( ^_^

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease as well x

Well, I know my maternal grandmother had a problem with diabetes pretty much all my life that I knew her before she died (and it probably would have been a greater mercy for her to have died from diabetes instead of what she actually did ). I never remember these things well for some reason no matter how many times I am informed, about family medical history, but I think others among the Burtons and Haggards (both from my mother's side) have suffered it as well.

Upvote 0