✟874,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meet the Greenville resident and Clemson lecturer running for president

A Greenville resident and Clemson lecturer is running for president.

Jo Jorgensen secured the Libertarian party's nomination for president over Memorial Day weekend, marking the longtime political activist's second time running in a major federal election – she ran as Harry Browne's vice presidential nominee in the 1996 presidential race.

What are your thoughts on the Libertarian party nominee?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟774,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She might get my vote, I will have to look more into her. At least they did not nominate Vermin Supreme, but the choice of Cohen for VP is disappointing due to his close ties to Supreme....IMO they are just a long running joke.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟244,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hmm. I'm not wild about her "open up the borders" policy, or her free market health care ideas. I very much don't like her attitude toward the COVID-19 response, and it may cross the line for me. I'll have to look more into it.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟328,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to post these without comment, most come from Jo Jorgensen's "Issues" page:
  • “As President, I will use my Constitutional authority to block any new borrowing. I will veto any spending bill that would lead to a deficit, and veto any debt ceiling increase."
  • “No American military personnel stationed in foreign countries. No military aid. No foreign aid — which is easily used for foreign military purposes. No loans for their governments. No loan guarantees."
  • "We can reduce the cost of health care 75% by allowing real price competition, and by substantially reducing government and insurance company paperwork."
  • "I will work to remove government barriers to replacing coal-burning and oil-burning power plants in the United States with safe, non-polluting, high-tech nuclear power plants – and allowing off-grid use of solar power. Worldwide, I believe we need to consider all scientific & economic knowledge to care for our environment, not cherry-pick data to support a pre-determined outcome. Most pollution is generated in developing countries, so reducing pollution worldwide requires cost-efficient zero emission energy sources like nuclear.”
  • "As President, I would work to implement a solution like the Cato Institute’s “6.2% solution”, which would allow any American the opportunity to “opt out” of the current system while making the current system fiscally stable for those who choose to remain."
  • "As President, I will use my Constitutional authority to eliminate trade barriers & tariffs, and work to repeal arbitrary quotas on the number of people who can legally enter the United States to work, visit, or reside. “
  • "As President, I will use my Constitutional authority to end federal civil asset forfeiture prior to conviction, and pardon persons convicted of non-violent victimless crimes. I will also work with Congress to end the failed War on Drugs and other victimless crime laws.”
  • "I will give special attention to regulations driving up the cost of housing and health care, as well as those creating barriers to creating new businesses or entering professions. Finally, I will work to repeal laws and regulations that prevent individuals and charitable organizations from helping those in need.”
  • As President, I will work to eliminate the Department of Education"
  • As President, I will work tirelessly to slash federal spending, make government much, much smaller, and let you keep what you earn.”
  • As to abortion, "And in fact… right now I just say I support the party platform." The platform: "Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Meet the Greenville resident and Clemson lecturer running for president

A Greenville resident and Clemson lecturer is running for president.

Jo Jorgensen secured the Libertarian party's nomination for president over Memorial Day weekend, marking the longtime political activist's second time running in a major federal election – she ran as Harry Browne's vice presidential nominee in the 1996 presidential race.

What are your thoughts on the Libertarian party nominee?
Dr. Jorgensen was the candidate endorsed by the Party's Pragmatic Caucus, which is understandable considering that she is more practical in her policy positions than other candidates she beat out for the nomination.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟244,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
“No American military personnel stationed in foreign countries.

Fail.

"As President, I will use my Constitutional authority to end federal civil asset forfeiture prior to conviction, and pardon persons convicted of non-violent victimless crimes.

Fail. Irresponsible use of the pardon power.

"As President, I will work to eliminate the Department of Education"

Fail.

On top of my other issues, especially COVID-19, I can rule out this candidate, even without considering the fact that I want Trump to leave, so I wouldn't vote third party anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟328,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The read to me as if they're meant to make an academic point rather than be in any way related to actual achievable policy.

I think that is my issue. For example, the first point -- not signing any legislation to allow more debt, any budget that is not balanced, etc. While it sounds good on paper, it ignores the reality -- that we have debt and going from the current budget to making the cuts to make it balanced within less than a year will cause far more economic issues than it will "fix" by having the budget balanced.

As one example of that, bringing all the military home. Yes, long term this will save money. The issue is that short term -- the first year or two after you've made the order -- you suffer significant expenses as you pay for shipping home all these military members and their families (and household goods), you transport all the equipment they use on a daily basis back to the States, you close, turn over, or mothball bases overseas, etc. There are going to be huge bills in doing this in a year or two -- so do you basically "defund" most of the military to "balance" those expenses, do you shut down Social Security for a year, where does that money come from?

Additionally, that idea that you can save 75% on medical expenses just by simplifying forms seems like a simplistic claim. Yes, the medical bureaucracy has become bloated, particularly with the various requirements and forms of different insurers -- not to mention needing to call to get authorizations that they will cover the procedure the medical provider wants to perform. In particular, how do you force this change without the added government regulations that you are complaining about. Last, even if you push this through -- how do your force medical providers to lower what they charge. Again, we know that the medical industry is not a true "free market," and cannot be made to be, as it is difficult to "shop around" for emergency treatments.

I'm not saying that things can't be improved and things streamlined -- but you can't do it by cutting regulations (since that won't reduce the paperwork required by insurers). Instead, it would take a "large government" program to do what is being proposed.

Those are just a couple of examples. The policies, as you stated, are "ivory tower" solutions that just won't work -- not as stated all together -- in the real world. Additionally, there is such an odd mix of liberal vs conservative ideas (small government, almost open immigration, cutting social programs, support for abortion) that I have trouble seeing how a majority would ever vote for this agenda.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟774,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The read to me as if they're meant to make an academic point rather than be in any way related to actual achievable policy.
And such is the problem with many Libertarians. In this case she is an academic and not a politician, really.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's a valid point, but to be fair we also have to admit that the nominees of any third party do not expect to win this coming election and then govern.

They hope to build the party to the point that it is pivotal in any election AND educate the voters about the principles of good government, more efficient, more just, government (as the party, whichever one it may be, sees it).

And, by the way, we here on CF spend a lot of time just talking about what's right and moral and how those in power aren't doing what they should, etc. None of it elects anyone. Therefore, I don't think we have a lot of room to dismiss any third party simply because it aspires to educate the voting public.

Upvote 0