• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Thinking of leaving all this behind....

Serenity278

Kittay Kat :]
Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I dont know where to put this post so Ill just stick it here. I am seriuosly thinking about leaving all of it behind. God and the whole church bit. I don't know how many times I have asked God to help me. I keep on doing the same horrible sin over again. I don't know how many times I have gotten on my knees and asked God to take this sin away from me and the next day I do the same thing over again. I have accepted the Lord into my heart. At least I think I did. I I dunno, but when I think am leaving I feel like I am leaving something big behind. It makes me cry harder. I have put this same post on a exchristian forum and they say they experinced the same thing. I dont want to leave God behind but it seems like this is my only option since He isnt helping me.:(

Psalms101

Veteran
Apr 6, 2004
✟1,576.00
Faith
Pentecostal
You said God isn't helping you, may be you just aren't recognizing HOW he is helping you. He workes in ways that are VASTLY different than ours, and sometimes we don't even see him helping us. He will keep you strong if you rely completly on him for strength. He WANTS for you to let Him love you!!! He desires nothing more than to express his love for you and for you to love Him!!!! Let him! You may not experience happiness right away, you might not even feel peace, or comfort, but give God time, he will give you all you need in his time!

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't leave God and the fellowship of Christians behind. You need God and us in order to experience victory in your life. And we need you to encourage us when we struggle as well.

The Christian life is not pretty at times. Sin and its nastiness do creep up on us, and Satan loves to rob us of our joy when that happens. Satan is a liar and will tell you that God is not doing for you what He said He would in His word. God's Holy Spirit lives in you right this minute. That Holy Spirit includes the power of the resurrection that raised Jesus from the dead. Satan does not want you to tap into that power, so he is going to make you miserable in your struggle for victory over that sin.

My suggestion is to leave your worries about that sin at the cross. If you sin again tomorrow, get on your knees as soon as possible, confess it and claim 1 John 1:9. Say the verse out loud so the devil can hear you quote scripture about how if you confess your sin, God is faithful and just and will forgive you that sin and cleanse you from all unrighteousness.

Also, start studying who you are in Christ. Because you are saved, you have a new identity. Satan does not want you to live in that identity, so he is going to remind you of what an awful sinner you are and how you are unworthy of God's love and forgiveness. Start quoting scripture to him about who you are in Christ. Here are some verses to give him.

Who I Am In Christ

I am accepted...

John 1:12

I am God's child.

John 15:15

As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:1

I have been justified.

1 Corinthians 6:17

I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.

1 Corinthians 12:27

I am a member of Christ's body.

Ephesians 1:3-8

I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.

Colossians 1:13-14

I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.

Colossians 2:9-10

I am complete in Christ.

Hebrews 4:14-16

I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.

I am secure...

Romans 8:1-2

I am free from condemnation.

Romans 8:28

I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.

Romans 8:31-39

I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22

I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.

Colossians 3:1-4

I am hidden with Christ in God.

Philippians 1:6

I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.

Philippians 3:20

I am a citizen of heaven.

2 Timothy 1:7

I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.

1 John 5:18

I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.

I am significant...

John 15:5

I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.

John 15:16

I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.

1 Corinthians 3:16

I am God's temple.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21

I am a minister of reconciliation for God.

Ephesians 2:6

I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.

Ephesians 2:10

I am God's workmanship.

Ephesians 3:12

I may approach God with freedom and confidence.

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

These are compliments of Neil Anderson and Freedom in Christ Ministries.

Upvote 0

goliwog

Dec 13, 2004
central coast
Visit site
✟8,081.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hi Jessie87 ,

Many people have felt the way you feal before because they havent quite got the connectiomn or relationship with god that they need. You you give a man a fish he will be full for a while teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry. God wants you to be independant in him and to defeat sin not just come away from it. This is the common struggle between the inner and outer person. You should avoid asking non christians for advice and try fasting . Fasting is so cool it will help allot. But mostly remember this is a learning sorta curb and you need to fight sin not try to escape it. If you wana know more about how to fight sin just pm me or ask here :)

Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone Sins. Dont Never Give Up On God. He Is Anyones Only Hope.
Just Relax And Stop Stressing So Much Over It. We Are Going To Have Times To Where We Fail. That Is Our Flesh, I Know How You Feel I Have Been There.
Take A Break From Your Worries About It .. Pray Everyday And Talk To God.
Hes Always There To Listen.

Upvote 0

Serenity278

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for all your replies. I was hopeing by posting this on here I would somehow bounce back, but nope. If God really loves me he'll bring me back right? Is it right to give God altamatoms? (i dont know how to spell) If I could leave God does that mean I wasnt really saved in the first place? I am just so tired of trying to figure out what to believe.

Upvote 0
W

WashedClean

Jessie87 said:
Thank you for all your replies. I was hopeing by posting this on here I would somehow bounce back, but nope. If God really loves me he'll bring me back right? Is it right to give God altamatoms? (i dont know how to spell) If I could leave God does that mean I wasnt really saved in the first place? I am just so tired of trying to figure out what to believe.

Well, we shouldn't tempt God, we should trust Him. Don't put Him to the test. Don't think you can live however you want and God will bring you back. That's not the attitude of a sinner saved by grace. If you have truly experience His forgiveness, you won't want to intentionally hurt Him. Notice I say "intentionally". All of us who are true Christians will sin. But the key is that we don't "want" to. You shouldn't have a cavlier or flippant attitude toward God. Not if you really understand His awesome grace. Does this help you?

Upvote 0

HoneyComb Son

Veteran
Jan 27, 2004
✟2,902.00
Faith
Christian
Jessie87... God will pursue you..but its your choice..He wont force you to come back if you leave..but He wants for you to stay with Him..He loves you..He will pursue you Jessie87..as you said..you accepted Him into your heart..if you meant that..then you are His!..and He wont give up on you..He is a loving Father..and He wants what is best for you..trust me..He has been so good to me..and i did not deserve it..God will deliver you from your sin..and He has..at the cross..you are not under the power of sin...keep praying..do what you can to stop sinning..just ask God for help..ask others..be accountable to people..maybe thats the answer..to be accountable to a person you know..so they can keep you in check..just ask God to send people or lead you to people..remember YOU can hear his voice..It says so in the word of God..He speaks many ways..ask Holy Spirit to open you hears to ear..remember His sheep know is voice..and Jessie..dont let the enemy play games with you...leaving God isnt the answer..thats what the enemy wants..just press into God..He will deliver you...He is faithful..remember He works in many ways..and it may not be the way you want it too..but it is good..so God bless and keep hope..God is rooting for you..He is for you..He is faithful...count this as joy Jessie..when we are tested and tried..it produces godly characteristics..and you will be stronger in God...hope and joy be with you Jessie..you are God's child..and He loves you:D

Lord God..please bless and deliver Jessie..give him strength and break any bondages off him Lord God..free Him God..for He is free!..set him free God..Lord heal him...see his heart for wanting to stop sinning..Lord you overcame sin..Lord He is not under the law..He has overcame the power of sin..Lord i pray deliver and hope into his heart..Holy Spirit..comfort him and guide him...give him strength and peveseverance..that after he has suffered alittle while ..he may be grounded and rooted firmly in the word of God..Lord reveal the blessings ahead..the good plan you have for him..bring him hope..in Jesus name amen

God bless Jessie

Upvote 0

Serenity278

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟16,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
WashedClean said:
Well, we shouldn't tempt God, we should trust Him. Don't put Him to the test. Don't think you can live however you want and God will bring you back. That's not the attitude of a sinner saved by grace. If you have truly experience His forgiveness, you won't want to intentionally hurt Him. Notice I say "intentionally". All of us who are true Christians will sin. But the key is that we don't "want" to. You shouldn't have a cavlier or flippant attitude toward God. Not if you really understand His awesome grace. Does this help you?

So are saying that because I intentionally sin I am not saved? Did I get that right? If thats the case than I am more lost and confused than I ever thought. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have struggled as you are struggling right this minute. And I have intentionally sinned. I have been saved since I was 17 years old. It doesn't mean I wasn't a Christian. It just means I didn't understand who I was as a child of God.

Here are some facts that I can tell you about yourself. 1. You will sin. Until you are perfected in Him at the resurrection, you are going to sin again. That does not mean you go looking for it, but run to the cross and confess and repent when it happens. 2. You can learn more about God and His love by getting into the Bible. Read it. Get involved with a Bible study. Pray and ask God to give you a hunger and thirst for Him and His Word. 3. You should not go based on your feelings. Feelings are not a good barometer for how we make our decisions. We need to base our decisions on the facts of the situation. Fact: God loves you very much. Fact: He has a plan for your life. Fact: He wants to spend time with you, but you have to reach out to Him. Fact: You may be able to run away from Him for a while, but if you really are a Christian, His Holy Spirit lives in you and you cannot really escape His reach.

Read Psalm 139. Read it and see just how much God loves you.

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Jessie, would you describe what you think it takes for someone to be saved? I believe your problem may lie in a lack of knowledge about salvation; something I myself struggled with for quite some time. Also, would you explain to me how you understand how Jesus conquered death (the substitutionary atonement view or Christ Victorius view)?

Anyway, I notice that you have said that God isn't helping you. I used to say the same thing in regard to the Sabbath; that God wasn't giving me the desire to keep it (I wasn't inclined to) so I ignored it because I put the blame on God rather than doing it myself in faith. I think you might be doing the same thing; now, I know this might be difficult, but honestly think about this and whether it applies to you or not.

I also notice that you are having doubts. I am having doubts about the faith as well, but we are told in Joshua that if we honestly seek God's face (that is, if we earnestly follow Him) then He will not turn us away. Do you understand God's love? That is, that He conquered death, that He is merciful? Just as in the story of the prodigal son, if you recognize what you have done, confess your sins, and repent, then He will be faithful and forgive you. You do not need to pray a superfluously lengthy prayer; just be honest with God. Is anything too hard for Him? No? Then God would be capable of forgiving you, if you will seek Him, wouldn't He? Tell Him that you want to change, that you do not want to live as you have, ask that He would help you to further understand His love.

Finally, as Paisley said, our walk is a work in progress. If you don't understand something, then ask your pastor or someone here; if you feel encouraged to read the Bible, then do so. If you don't, then pray that that you would. Do not allow yourself to become stagnant in your faith, but do not feel overwhelmed either, because, as the proverb goes, "God gives burdens also shoulders".

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jessie87 said:
So are saying that because I intentionally sin I am not saved? Did I get that right? If thats the case than I am more lost and confused than I ever thought. :(

Dear Jessie.
The move away from God is because you are frustrated, frightened and confused. The Devil has you all of track, for you have been looking at your 'sin' and not been listening to Christ's voice of love and forgiving grace. You have been hurting yourself for your 'sin' and now you are at ends meet. Please can't you see that this is NOT how Christ's works. It is a tactic of the wicked to steer us away from our Father in Heaven. Please repent of the way that you understand God's view of you. He Loves You For Real! He is a God of unconditional love. His love for you doesn't depend on who you are or what you have done or not done. He looks upon you through Jesus Christ your saviour who died for you on the cross and sits victorious over sin next to Him in Heaven. Think about it leaving God now is like leaving Victory behind and joining up with defeat. What good can that ever bring to your struggling heart. Read Isaiah 61 (Verse 1-3 in particular.)

That God bless you with the knowledge of His loving grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Jessie,
read this one more time, because it's the truth:

Jeshu said:
Dear Jessie.
The move away from God is because you are frustrated, frightened and confused. The Devil has you all of track, for you have been looking at your 'sin' and not been listening to Christ's voice of love and forgiving grace. You have been hurting yourself for your 'sin' and now you are at ends meet. Please can't you see that this is NOT how Christ's works. It is a tactic of the wicked to steer us away from our Father in Heaven. Please repent of the way that you understand God's view of you. He Loves You For Real! He is a God of unconditional love. His love for you doesn't depend on who you are or what you have done or not done. He looks upon you through Jesus Christ your saviour who died for you on the cross and sits victorious over sin next to Him in Heaven. Think about it leaving God now is like leaving Victory behind and joining up with defeat. What good can that ever bring to your struggling heart. Read Isaiah 61 (Verse 1-3 in particular.)

That God bless you with the knowledge of His loving grace.

Jessie,
I can relate to a lot of what you're saying. I've struggled and "backslided" so many times in my life. But curiously, I didn't become really free until I gave up on christianity. I thought my life really would be a cynical hell from there on, but instead I found a freedom I can't even describe. I certainly never found it in my christian religious struggle to be good.
It's like trying to live according to the letter, the law. The law will do nothing but condemn you. But we can live according to the Spirit that sets us free.

I find that the more I struggle to be good, the more I fail. The more I just give up, the more victorious I am. It is God who gives me the option and ability to do good.

It's all a gift. But it can take time to realize and practice these things. I had to be told that I am righteous in God's eyes for about six months before it finally started sinking in. Most of my life I've thought/been told that I'm a sinner and that Jesus doesn't complete the job, He leaves the last struggles to us. That faith is something I produce myself. That I have to trust in my own powers as well as God's.

Get out of it. Leave it. Lay it down. Give up. Throw yourself into Jesus' open arms and He'll teach you.

Upvote 0

pentecostalgirl0414

Soon to be mommy of 2!!
Jan 28, 2005
Wahiawa, HI
✟14,280.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was struggling with the same thing that you are facing. I quit going to church for a while. I just recently went back. Quitting is something that I regreted. I have asked for forgiveness and found myself sinning again, but I decided to just pray and turn everything over to God. Keep trying. Things will get better. If you need to talk, just PM me.

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God's love for you was demonstrated once and for all on the cross.
You have accepted him as your lord and savior.
God entered into the deal knowing you are human. He *knows* you are going to make mistakes. None of us can help it. That was the whole point of the cross. It's God's way of saying, "It's all good."

What you struggle with today is what will be conquered tomorrow.

Upvote 0

looking4answers

May 5, 2005
Republic of Texas
✟279.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
madison1101 said:
I have struggled as you are struggling right this minute. And I have intentionally sinned. I have been saved since I was 17 years old. It doesn't mean I wasn't a Christian. It just means I didn't understand who I was as a child of God.

Here are some facts that I can tell you about yourself. 1. You will sin. Until you are perfected in Him at the resurrection, you are going to sin again. That does not mean you go looking for it, but run to the cross and confess and repent when it happens. 2. You can learn more about God and His love by getting into the Bible. Read it. Get involved with a Bible study. Pray and ask God to give you a hunger and thirst for Him and His Word. 3. You should not go based on your feelings. Feelings are not a good barometer for how we make our decisions. We need to base our decisions on the facts of the situation. Fact: God loves you very much. Fact: He has a plan for your life. Fact: He wants to spend time with you, but you have to reach out to Him. Fact: You may be able to run away from Him for a while, but if you really are a Christian, His Holy Spirit lives in you and you cannot really escape His reach.

Read Psalm 139. Read it and see just how much God loves you.
Madison, I appreciate the ministry that you are doing here.

Upvote 0