• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Thinking about Living off Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith712

Jan 3, 2012
✟29,549.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone, I hope you guys are doing good during this pandemic, I hope you are healthy and well.

I am schizoaffective, I hear and see things that are not there and I do have some symptoms of bipolar. I am diagnosed with schizophrenia my freshman year of high school, I was 15 years old.

I was put on abilify and it worked, but I could not function. All I could do was sleep and I was so sedated and tired all the time. From 2008 to 2012 I heard no voices, or I believe I didn't hear any voices. In 2012, I was taken off my abilify because my doctors no longer thought I was schizophrenic. The voices and delusions exploded and I had to be hospitalized.

Ever since 2012, I have went through so many different medications and none of them have worked. I have not retried abilify because I can not function at all on abilify, so I have went through haloperidol, risperidone, Seroquel, Zoloft, prozac, geodon, and am currently on latuda and loxapine. Nothing is working for me.

I have been sedated and drugged for so long. I can not do the things I want to do and live the way I want to live. I am so tired of this. I am tired of sleeping all day and it being nearly impossible for me to do things like chores in my apartment and enjoy football games. Also, I have been on these meds for so long that I get "stuck" ( as one of my past doctors said) and my mind can not process things. I also have these spells where I can't stop looking up at the ceiling and my eyes roll back in my head. (My neurologist believes these are seizures though.)

I do not know what to do or how to think. Writing this, I realize if I want to be symptom free, I should go back to abilify but I also know I can not function at all on the abilify. I believe I was hearing voices on the abilify so I just don't know.

I will talk to my therapist, nurse, and doctor before I get off my meds, if I decide to give it a try. That I will do.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have something to add before I get the ball rolling?

Thank you for reading and thank you for any replies I get. Thank you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,484.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You need sound medical advice. You need guidance. Nothing wrong in medication. Its a matter of finding the right one for you my friend.

May God wrap His healing arms around you and heal you of your problems.

God bless you

• Agree
Reactions: justtrance
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes medications work. But sometimes, they don’t. Do you mean that your issues with hearing voices have never improved or lessened even with medication?

What I would recommend is going slowly if you do decide to go off of medications. Talk to your doctor. Try something milder. Do not go cold turkey; that could do damage.

What has helped me has been exercise (walking), reducing unhealthy foods, prayer, sleep, avoiding media, and having a dog. I still have problems. But my problems are manageable. I would go slowly, talk to your doctor, and begin this journey by trying a milder, less intense medication. Yanking your brain and nervous system off of medications quickly might do harm.

Upvote 0

Faith712

Jan 3, 2012
✟29,549.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes medications work. But sometimes, they don’t. Do you mean that your issues with hearing voices have never improved or lessened even with medication?

What I would recommend is going slowly if you do decide to go off of medications. Talk to your doctor. Try something milder. Do not go cold turkey; that could do damage.

What has helped me has been exercise (walking), reducing unhealthy foods, prayer, sleep, avoiding media, and having a dog. I still have problems. But my problems are manageable. I would go slowly, talk to your doctor, and begin this journey by trying a milder, less intense medication. Yanking your brain and nervous system off of medications quickly might do harm.

For the most part, no, my symptoms did not get better with medication.

I agree with you, and will do that. I will take this slowly. I am scheduled to talk to my nurse and doctor Tuesday so we'll go from there.

This is just something I want to try. I understand this could cause a huge relapse and me getting hospitalized and I am fine with that. If everything doesn't go smoothly, I'll just start back to taking my meds and if I have to, I will get hospitalized.

I am willing to take the risk. I believe if I could get off of these meds, my life would be so much better.

Thank you to everyone who took the time out to read this and reply to this. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the most part, no, my symptoms did not get better with medication.

I agree with you, and will do that. I will take this slowly. I am scheduled to talk to my nurse and doctor Tuesday so we'll go from there.

This is just something I want to try. I understand this could cause a huge relapse and me getting hospitalized and I am fine with that. If everything doesn't go smoothly, I'll just start back to taking my meds and if I have to, I will get hospitalized.

I am willing to take the risk. I believe if I could get off of these meds, my life would be so much better.

Thank you to everyone who took the time out to read this and reply to this. Thank you so much.
Just take things slowly. Don't quit overnight. Talk to your doctor, and try to transitions to something less problematic, slowly. This is especially true if these medications haven't even really been helping you at all.

But take it slowly. Make other changes in the meantime, like diet, exercise, less media absorption, fresh air, prayer time, less sugar, and stuff like that. Be kind to yourself, and seek advice and help from your doctor. Expect this process to take a bit of time, but be patient. God bless you, Faith.

• Agree
Reactions: justtrance
Upvote 0

justtrance

Dorcus
Oct 26, 2020
south
✟18,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
My head is going to explode at the idea that someone would say go cold turkey and don't take your meds because it causes heart problems. Those are ignorant statements.

If you don't quit slowly there is a huge possibility that there will be physical and mental side effects depending on how long you've been taking them. These side effects can be life threatening to you and to others.

Please... DON'T TAKE ADVICE FROM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT YOUR HEALTH PROBLEMS! GO TO YOUR DOCTOR AND COUNSELOR.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You definitely have to consult your doctor first and foremost. The anti-psychotics I take also make me feel sedated, but I know that if I don't take them, I will 100% relapse and my own goal is to stay out of the hospital. If you're having issues with side effects, always talk to your doctor first about it.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I also have schizoaffective along with a plethora of other psychiatric disorders. I understand how you feel. I am sick of being tired and drugged all the time. I too am considering trying life without meds to see if I can handle it.

BUT. BUT. BUT. Do NOT attempt this without a doctor. Do NOT quit your meds cold turkey. You will withdraw. You will very likely have seizures. How do I know? Because I've done it. Multiple times. It's not worth it. You need to go about this the right way, or you will end up in a psych ward, which I know is the last thing I want for myself. So have a heart-to-heart with your treatment team, and let them tell you how to go about what you want to do. It may be that you simply cannot function without meds, and there's nothing wrong with that. There are many, many medications you have not tried, and there may be a combination that does not leave you feeling drugged. Again, again, the only way to know is to work with your doctor.

I'm sorry, but the suggestion that you quit cold turkey is absolutely idiotic and dangerous, and I'm tempted to report those posts because you WILL end up in the hospital if you do that. And I don't mean a psych hospital. Antipsychotic and antidepressant withdrawal often cause dangerous medical conditions. Again, I know because I was stupid enough to do it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i would advise strongly against going of your medicine unless they stopped working and then only to replace them with another.

Honest i have quite medicine scores of times always ending up in major psychosis, it has been so incredible disappointing. i tried everything including vitamins and minerals but only medicine kept me out of psychosis.

Now what i have done is go really low on medicine. Over a very long time - years - i have gone from a full dosage to 1/10 of that dosage, and that does it most of the time, though at times i have to take a little more. When something happens for example like falling sick or other things that trigger my condition.

i would love to quit my medicine altogether but i tried it only last year and suffered a psychosis as consequence, not worth it. 1/10 of a full dosage doesn't interfere half as much than going of medicine altogether.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread had a clean up. As a reminder, it is against site rules to go against medical advice. The Recovery area guidelines also include this:
These things are considered off topic and will not be allowed in the Recovery forums:
Offering treatment or any kind to other members

Prescribing/promoting medications of any kind, including over the counter or herbal remedies

Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, using or seeking professional services, using hotlines or crisis lines.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.