Thinking about Lent this morning & I realized.....

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟553,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Was this the original sense of peanut butter jelly time??

It's an Orthodox joke. We abstain from meat, eggs, and dairy for the 40 days of Lent. We become really good friends with a variety of bean dishes, vegetable recipes, and especially peanut butter and jelly for a fast (no pun intended) relief from our hunger.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟251,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's an Orthodox joke. We abstain from meat, eggs, and dairy for the 40 days of Lent. We become really good friends with a variety of bean dishes, vegetable recipes, and especially peanut butter and jelly for a fast (no pun intended) relief from our hunger.
No, I get that. I just wondered if this was the original sense of the PBJ-time song/dance. Specifically Orthodox Christian? or did it have some other source and get adopted for this purpose?

40 days of veganism, sounds like a good time. I'm already vegetarian, but the eggs and dairy would be a big change. Probably good for me, though, in more ways than one.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟553,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, I get that. I just wondered if this was the original sense of the PBJ-time song/dance. Specifically Orthodox Christian? or did it have some other source and get adopted for this purpose?

40 days of veganism, sounds like a good time. I'm already vegetarian, but the eggs and dairy would be a big change. Probably good for me, though, in more ways than one.

Well, that's a strange supposition. I would just think it falls under the heading of "A strange little piece of silliness." and let it go at that.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Peanut Butter Jelly song is unrelated to Orthodoxy :) though it is a rather apt description of my lunches last week! Or "Almond butter jelly time!"

• Haha
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael Scaman

Apr 16, 2016
Goshen, NY USA
✟12,404.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lent is a time of preparation for remembering Jesus death and resurrection. It is like to 40 days of fasting of Jesus in the dessert, preparing Him for the start of His ministry

It is a discipline to be used according to conscience and people should be charitable about how various people practice or don't practice it.

It can be a very meaningful remmmemberance

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,452,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lent is a time of preparation for remembering Jesus death and resurrection. It is like to 40 days of fasting of Jesus in the dessert, preparing Him for the start of His ministry

absolutely

It is a discipline to be used according to conscience and people should be charitable about how various people practice or don't practice it.

I think this is where we would disagree. while absolutely true that we should never judge anyone for what they do or don't do, Lent is not for the individual's conscience only, but must be given with pastoral guidance. I say this since this is the Orthodox forum (if you want to debate, there is St Justin's for that), and this part is not what we believe.

It can be a very meaningful remmmemberance

and right on the money again.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
College for me :)

And for nostalgia sake:

I showed this to my husband last night, since he never saw it. He rolled his eyes and said something along the lines of ,"so this is what you guys did at 3am in the morning during college?" (teasingly) :) Yep! Lol, it was a great (mindless) break from homework all the time! Crazy times :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums