✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

I’m thinking about joining the air force. But I’m not really sure what I’m getting my self into. I will be graduating from college in about 2 months with a BA in pure mathematics and a minor in philosophy. I want to enlist as an officer, but I’m not exactly sure what that entails. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated. Also, does anyone know if the recruiters office is open Saturday?

gloryseven

Contributor
Nov 28, 2006
North American Union (Canada, Mexico, US)
✟22,262.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jon F.- personally I tried it an it was a disaster. I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy. If you are a Christian, I think it would just make all the nonsense, even worse. The military are people who are manipulated and trained to kill. I think there are higher goals and aspirations after you graduate, but it is only my personal opionion, from personal experience. May God bless, lead you and guide you into the future He feels is best suited for you. Everyone is different and you may succeed and find it rewarding. Ask Jesus for His opinion each day and remember...there is Alot of unknown when you take on the AF....the unknown is the killer..God bless you. Julie in Pa

Upvote 0

BoazB

Dec 29, 2006
South Africa
✟2,335.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Dear JonF. If you are not sure, one thing is for certain - the military is a brilliant place for finding out what you REALLY want to do in life. Guys I knew who didn't have a clue, suddenly came to conclusions. There might be guys from other walks of life there, who can tell you what it is like to be in other fields of employment.

I think also, if military service is not for you, you will very quickly know :D (which is why it might be better to go for the shortest possible term - if you like, then sign up for longer.)

Our living out of our Christian experience is not done in isolation of the world. If you feel that you have grown as a Christian, the military would be a good testing ground for that. (What faith do we really have, if it isn't tested?) It is also a good place to be a Christian in front of the unsaved. (Speak to anybody who might have been in the military in your congregation)

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Thinking about joining the AF

Hello,

I’m thinking about joining the air force. But I’m not really sure what I’m getting my self into. I will be graduating from college in about 2 months with a BA in pure mathematics and a minor in philosophy. I want to enlist as an officer, but I’m not exactly sure what that entails. Any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated. Also, does anyone know if the recruiters office is open Saturday?

Hi. First off, allow me to say thank you for considering this honorable profession and I do hope you can enlist and serve your country. Despite what folks say, one can serve AND live a christian life. I knew too many soldiers during my career that were christians and lived the life IAW their faith and never left it. Dont let anyone fool you into thinking differently.

I was never Air Force (was USMC then later Army) but I did like their chow halls and they had nice hospitals when the few times I was on a AF base.

As far as recruiters, most I would think will be open on weekends and if not, you can call and make an appointment to sit with one on a Saturday.

before you ever sign the bottom line, make sure you ask every question you can think of, get all the info you can, ask the vets in your church and family about things and tell the recruiter what you want to do.

You may not get it but at least you can let them know what direction in a MOS you want to do. One advantage the Af has over when the Army or the Corps - you wont have to worry about being a grunt if that aint your thing. I was one but it was a MOS I wanted and enjoyed.

best of luck to you and thank you again for wanting to serve. Its an honorable profession and dont let anyone tell you different.

Upvote 0

Jameskind

Veteran
Mar 5, 2007
Nebraska
✟17,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can go on AF web site and chat with recruiting personel 7 days a week. Your interests as an officer would require you to speak with a Officer Recruiter.
USAF recruiting is separated by NPS/PS Line, Officer Line, HP. You will need to take the AFOQT and see how you score. If a college in your area has a AFROTC unit I would recommend you chat with them first. I had over 18 yrs in AF recruiting. 28 yrs AF total. Great career and would highly recommend if you qualify. There are a few OTS officer recruiters available on Saturdays by appointment basis most of the time. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

BiblePartyVolunteer

Mar 10, 2007
Virginia
Visit site
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

Don't get your hopes up about entering the USAF as a commissioned officer. My son just finished his second candidate board for officer's training school (OTS) as a rated officer. He was not accepted. He has a double major in Chemistry and Environmental Science from a highly selective college. He also has about 90 creditrs in engineering. The USAF is only accepting 482 new officers from outside the academy and ROTC this fiscal year.

I served in the USAF for 24 years. It was a good, satisfying career due to the specialty I was able, with God's grace, to enter. However, being in that specialty meant more than 7 years away from my family during those 24 years. The Army and Marines are accepting commissioned candidates now. I wouldn't go for the Marines. Go for the Army if you want to get in fast. They have officer candidate school (OCS) classes starting every two weeks.

If you are not sure, apply for a civil service job and work for one of the military services or another government agency as a statistician or mathematician. If you get a civil service job with a military service, this will acclimatize you to the federal service environment and allow you to observe the military lifestyle firsthand while getting a paycheck. Then, you can work with the senior officers you work for and get their endorsement for OCS or OTS. That will give you a better chance of getting in as a commissioned officer.

Upvote 0

BiblePartyVolunteer

Mar 10, 2007
Virginia
Visit site
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am likewise thinking of joining the Air Force. I wanna be a Airborne Medic...I am kinda iffy on it...what are you deciding???
If you want to go in the USAF as an airborne medic there is only one specialty you could be talking about. That specialty requires intense dedication, concentration, attention to minute detail, and a solid commitment to get through the year and a half of screening and training in the face of intense hardship, danger, and pressure. To get through that training, you need to take each second as it comes and maintain your commitment to the end. If you don't, you won't make it through the screening or training.

Once you make it through the training, you are only trainable. You will have the basic knowledge and skill to accompany the team on their ops. You will then have another two years of training and gaining experience before you can lead a team.

If you are iffy about doing it, then don't waste your time, the USAF resources, or the time of the instructors. Go for something less demanding.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.