Florida
✟10,445.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am having a real struggle in my life with Church. I have attended Protestant churches in the past, but not too often. Anyways I want to start going to Church, but I cannot decide between going to a Catholic or Orthodox Church. I though that I would only go to an Orthodox Church, but the more I read about the Latin Church the more I am attracted to that. I guess I am just talking because I am so confused and really have no question and have no one else to talk to about it so I decided to say this here. Anyways thanks for reading.

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I have a friend who is like that--she has actual panic attacks in a church. Start small- like aim for one Sunday a month...or if it's less intimidating try to go to a daily Mass instead of Sunday Mass...or try to see if the Catholic parish by you has adoration and just go and sit and pray--that's a lot les intimidating, I think.

If You seek Him with sincere heart, and do the imperfect best you can, He will lead you :hug:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I will pray for you. :crossrc:
And God will lead you, and possibly is leading you.

I am sure on the outside looking in, that is a tough choice.
As for myself, I am staying with the shepherd Christ set up. 'Peter - Feed My sheep, feed My lambs, feed My sheep.'

To feed sheep in this inference means to both lead as a shepherd which means to be the leader of the flock of Christ.
And to feed means to teach us with spiritual food.

I also stay because Peter alone was assigned to hold the 'keys' which means even tho there were key plural, Peter was handed them all. Which means he has charge over the others.

And I stay because history and the ecf's have all made a big deal over the Pope in Rome who is specifically named successor to Peter.

And I hope you find your way...and you should pray the Our Father often - and slowly. So He will let you do His Will. As it is in Heaven...

God Bless.

Upvote 0

the_Abbot

Veteran
Dec 22, 2003
Florida
✟10,445.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what is it that makes it so hard for you to go to a Church?

When my Grandma use to take me to church with her when I was little I felt like I did not belong. Many years later I tried to go to church again and I received those same feeling, so I stopped going. It may have been the type of church which was Pentecostal/ Assemblies of God, but now I keep believing those feeling will come back no matter what kind of Church. Maybe I am not meant to go to a church. I don't know, because I dont have those feeling anywhere else I go. Only at church.

Upvote 0

the_Abbot

Veteran
Dec 22, 2003
Florida
✟10,445.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Catholic and Orthodox Churches style of workship is more introspective so that might help you.

I think it will. I just have to convince myself to go. For many years I have felt God leading me to an Apostolic Church I just need to stop resisting His urge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sweetMelody

Love is all you need! Jesus is Love.
Dec 19, 2007
✟16,573.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
pray for help in this matter.

in a catholic church you can just sit in the back, stand when everyone stands and sit whenever sits, and kneel when they kneel. you will stand out, and no one will ask you to do or say anything. you will blend in easily.

p.s. I love going to church and the Lord Jesus is there with us.

May you find comfort in church

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Tell me about it. I grew up in Southern Baptist churches, and I never quite felt like I belonged. At least when I converted to Catholicism, it was my choice, noone else's, and I chose it because I believed in it. I still feel a little out of place, but at least I share a lot of my religious viewpoints with the people who are there. Feelings of not belonging are also partly a social/emotional issue, and I feel that to a degree, no matter what type of situation or environment that I'm in, I'll feel somewhat alone, but that's just who I am.

It's been very painful over the years, but I'm trying to get better at surviving it. But anyway, going to a Catholic church is by far better than any other place I could go for my spirituality. I feel most comfortable there, not just intellectually and spiritually, but also socially. You just have to find a support group of close friends. That's the key, at least for me, friends my age who are in similar life situations.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Taking the first step is always the hardest, and going to a church - no matter which one - for the first time, or after you haven't been for a while, is always hard. But my experience with Catholic Churches is that they're very welcoming. As SweetMelody said - you can just sit in the back, stand when everybody stands and sit when everybody sits, and you'll blend in perfectly.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it will. I just have to convince myself to go. For many years I have felt God leading me to an Apostolic Church I just need to stop resisting His urge.

There is Saturday evening Mass and daily Mass too. Often times Saturday is a bit more laid back atmosphere cause its afternoon I think. If you make it there grab a bulletin. Its not hard to get involved with people if you attend some things. A great thing about the Catholic Church is you can go to about any one of them and know what to expect.

If you find you prefer the Eastern rites you can still be Catholic too. The Catholic Church is made up of 23 different Churches of various rites though here in the USA the Latin (Roman) rite is most prevalent if that makes any difference to you.

Upvote 0

SEAKOR

Sep 19, 2006
✟7,631.00
Faith
Seeker
"When my Grandma use to take me to church with her when I was little I felt like I did not belong. Many years later I tried to go to church again and I received those same feeling, so I stopped going. It may have been the type of church which was Pentecostal/ Assemblies of God, but now I keep believing those feeling will come back no matter what kind of Church. Maybe I am not meant to go to a church. I don't know, because I dont have those feeling anywhere else I go. Only at church."

I have had those feelings before, and will have them again. it maybe different for you but for me I know it is an awareness within, i am unworthy to be in his presence, it is why I kneel before the sacrament, why i bow my head and say lord have mercy... Church isnt always about being comfortable, its about being in the presence of God, and when we are in the presence of God, we know we are sinners. When we are in the presence of God we want to run, because either consiously or unconsiously we are aware of our sinful selves. It is Christ who invites you to come to him and you will feel uneasy but you belong there as much as anybody else because Christ has invited you and he has a special grace awaiting you in the sacament of reconciliation.

Upvote 0

sneezingleopard

May 18, 2005
Visit site
✟8,225.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you have any catholic or orthodox friends who are strong in their faith? Maybe you could ask them if you could tag along some Sunday. Would that maybe make you feel more at ease? Assemblies of God churches tend to be very vocal and actvie so I can see how that might make younger kids anxiouse. I used to go to an assemblies of God prayer group on a regular basis and felt really out of place a lot of the time. Many times I asked myself why I was there adn then remembered it was because I was a bible study leader of the multi denominational group under the umbrella of assemblies of God. I know I've allways wanted to experience a service in a jewish synagogue but I would never go alone. I would be too afraid of not knowing what to do. There are also some great websites that explain each part of the mass so you would know in advance what to expect. Mostly you could just follow along with everyone else standing and kneeling etc.
In Christ,
Matthew

Upvote 0

sweetMelody

Love is all you need! Jesus is Love.
Dec 19, 2007
✟16,573.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
pray for help in this matter.

in a catholic church you can just sit in the back, stand when everyone stands and sit whenever sits, and kneel when they kneel. you will stand out, and no one will ask you to do or say anything. you will blend in easily.

p.s. I love going to church and the Lord Jesus is there with us.

May you find comfort in church
one important thing I failed to mention is: please don't go up to receive communion when everyone else goes up. Just sit down and wait until they come back.

Communion, or Eucharist is the bread and wine, which is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. You will be able to receive communion only after you decide to join the church and go through RCIA program, and be baptized on Easter. then you will rejoice in receiving the Eucharist.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.