USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I have always associated myself with Baptist and non-denominational beliefs, however, while learning more about the History of the Church it seems they are wrong in the idea of Communion and Baptism. What should I do in other to become one?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Hi! I have always associated myself with Baptist and non-denominational beliefs, however, while learning more about the History of the Church it seems they are wrong in the idea of Communion and Baptism. What should I do in other to become one?
Most of the time, people never find a perfect/right church, but the LCMS is as close to the best as you will find, verifiable by all Scripture.

Just go to their website, or their church, and talk to them more and more, and be with them as often as possible , God Willing.....

Remember if they (the people themselves) are not true to Scripture, as others (in rebelliousness and idolatry etc ) are not, be careful... individual congregations can be wrong, just like whole world wide groups.....

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are a couple of things, first see if there are any good confessional Lutheran churches in your area and begin attending. I am familiar with the LCMS and WELS, the other bodies not so much. And by confessional I mean no praise band but rather using the Hymnal (The Lutheran Service Book which has the different settings to the Divine Service). I have no issue with rock music but I have an issue with jamming in front of the altar. Make sure you reach out to the pastor and introduce yourself as I am sure he will likely tell you about the church's practice of closed communion. Begin attending on a regular basis and if you want to join as the Pastor what is required. My pastor had both my wife and I go through a 10 week course teaching us about the church's doctrine and the confessions before we were received into the church.

Other than that I would recommend reading the Augsburg Confession. If you like to listen to radio programs you should also check out Issues, etc.

If you have any questions that can't wait until you meet with the local pastor feel free to ask the question here.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I can't say anything pro-Catholic here, but shoot me a private message if you want to hear more about the RCC. Or better, posting in the Catholic or Orthodox parts of this site--because the historical side of Christianity seems to interest you, I would recommend looking into the 2 churches that openly declare themselves the most historically accurate.

A lot of good advice so far--definitely attend some Lutheran services, making friends with the pastor while you're at it. The pastor's will likely (hopefully!) know more about the Lutheran church than most people, including the historical side you're interested in.

But, as you're looking into a new church, don't settle on anything too quickly. Explore what's out there, talk with people from various denominations, and pray deeply for God to guide you where He needs you. The simple act of looking for which church is right shows a certain amount of surrender to His will already in you, and God would love to take that surrender in awesome directions if you let Him. Pray a lot, and give Him a lot of quiet time--turn off the radio, shut down your phone, and give the following time of silence to God. Ask Him to use it, to guide it, and to talk to you through it. In my experience, your mind will wander, but He'll pull it in awesome directions, sometimes even giving you specific advice. I've gotten a lot of help for my career search by doing this--he's straight out told me a few things I should look into, and a few things I shouldn't! And you will have a much deeper sense of peace about everything as your prayer life deepens.

And remember to constantly ask God to guide you. This is part of your prayer life & times of silence, but also something to do at every decision & situation throughout the day. Just a simple, sincere "What do You think I should do?" before walking into a new Church, and praying for the Holy Spirit to work through everyone there, guiding you constantly.

Most importantly: trust. Trust that this Church-searching is good for your soul. If it feels like it isn't, prayerfully examine how you're doing it, and adjust accordingly. This is a stressful but exciting time in your life, and transitions are never comfortable. Trust that Jesus is with you, offer Him everything, and smile--God loves you.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can't say anything pro-Catholic here, but shoot me a private message if you want to hear more about the RCC. Or better, posting in the Catholic or Orthodox parts of this site--because the historical side of Christianity seems to interest you, I would recommend looking into the 2 churches that openly declare themselves the most historically accurate.

A lot of good advice so far--definitely attend some Lutheran services, making friends with the pastor while you're at it. The pastor's will likely (hopefully!) know more about the Lutheran church than most people, including the historical side you're interested in.

But, as you're looking into a new church, don't settle on anything too quickly. Explore what's out there, talk with people from various denominations, and pray deeply for God to guide you where He needs you. The simple act of looking for which church is right shows a certain amount of surrender to His will already in you, and God would love to take that surrender in awesome directions if you let Him. Pray a lot, and give Him a lot of quiet time--turn off the radio, shut down your phone, and give the following time of silence to God. Ask Him to use it, to guide it, and to talk to you through it. In my experience, your mind will wander, but He'll pull it in awesome directions, sometimes even giving you specific advice. I've gotten a lot of help for my career search by doing this--he's straight out told me a few things I should look into, and a few things I shouldn't! And you will have a much deeper sense of peace about everything as your prayer life deepens.

And remember to constantly ask God to guide you. This is part of your prayer life & times of silence, but also something to do at every decision & situation throughout the day. Just a simple, sincere "What do You think I should do?" before walking into a new Church, and praying for the Holy Spirit to work through everyone there, guiding you constantly.

Most importantly: trust. Trust that this Church-searching is good for your soul. If it feels like it isn't, prayerfully examine how you're doing it, and adjust accordingly. This is a stressful but exciting time in your life, and transitions are never comfortable. Trust that Jesus is with you, offer Him everything, and smile--God loves you.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I will pray to God that ultimately his will be done.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I will pray to God that ultimately his will be done.
That's what it's all about.

God be with you--He always appreciates when people take extra steps to be as close to Him as possible.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,895.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Taking the Adult Education classes that are offered would be a good place to start; it will give a deeper understanding and help you discern if you should seek confirmation and full communicant membership.

For me, the more I learn about other Churches the more resolutely Lutheran I become. The Holy Spirit wants me here!

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

If your profile it right and you are in Houston then you have a few good option, the best would be Memorial Lutheran Church LCMS in Houston. Whitcharguable might even be considered one of the top churches in the LCMS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Since you are interested in learning more about the history of the church … then I'd recommend spending some time speaking to a WELS pastor on other topics such as church and ministry, fellowship, and the roles of men and women that is taught in the Bible.

The WELS pastor will probably even explain why it's best to flee away from Catholicism.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are several options in College Station, all the major synods in the USA are there: LCMS, WELS, and ELCA are all represented, ELCA and LCMS with more than one church. I would try them all and see what their worship style is and if one connects with you better.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are several options in College Station, all the major synods in the USA are there: LCMS, WELS, and ELCA are all represented, ELCA and LCMS with more than one church. I would try them all and see what their worship style is and if one connects with you better.
I'm trying to find a Confessional Church with a liturgical service.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying to find a Confessional Church with a liturgical service.
Got it, sorry, I do not live there so cannot comment on their services in particular. In general, ELCA is usually a higher liturgical service, then LCMS, then WELS. But it really can vary from church to church and many churches even have a "traditional" and "contemporary" service at different times.

As for "Confessional", the LCMS is generally regarded as more "traditional confessional" whereas the ELCA is confessional as in follows the Book of Concord and other Lutheran Confessions, but more "progressive" about their interpretations of them. But the ELCA varies by parish as to how traditional they are. I am not familiar enough with WELS to say how closely they follow the confessions or how they interpret them.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,895.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully; worship style means absolutely nothing; the right preaching of the Gospel, and the right administration of the Sacraments are first and foremost.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Respectfully; worship style means absolutely nothing; the right preaching of the Gospel, and the right administration of the Sacraments are first and foremost.
I don't disagree, right teaching is paramount. But worship style is very important to how one relates to the service, and how one relates to that church. If one cannot connect with the service, the preaching and teaching will likely not connect either.

Also, the OP requested a liturgical church, and not all Lutheran churches maintain the traditional liturgy.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Got it, sorry, I do not live there so cannot comment on their services in particular. In general, ELCA is usually a higher liturgical service, then LCMS, then WELS. But it really can vary from church to church and many churches even have a "traditional" and "contemporary" service at different times.

As for "Confessional", the LCMS is generally regarded as more "traditional confessional" whereas the ELCA is confessional as in follows the Book of Concord and other Lutheran Confessions, but more "progressive" about their interpretations of them. But the ELCA varies by parish as to how traditional they are. I am not familiar enough with WELS to say how closely they follow the confessions or how they interpret them.
fyi … WELS is just as "traditional confessional" and so our interpretations matches what we claim to be instead of forgoing Scripture truths aka "progressive"

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
fyi … WELS is just as "traditional confessional" and so our interpretations matches what we claim to be instead of forgoing Scripture truths aka "progressive"
Thanks, as I said, I'm not familiar with WELS teaching.

Upvote 0