Midwest
✟87,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I remember watching him when I was growing up. Avg. monthly rent was $125/mo in 1967 when this show started.
1 bedroom, 1 bath, small kitchen, living room, $99/mo 1967. I made only $75 a week. We cheated and had 3 of us (all single Mormon gals) split the rent. We were too busy to watch TV.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟991,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s harder to accept that push mowers are no longer made with a side opening to shoot the clippings out. No mulcher blade, please. That just leaves the lawn too thick. Nothing like just going back and forth in straight lines, pushing through one pass, then pulling the mower back for a new pass. Debris would just keep getting pushed toward the edge of the lawn, and in my case, voila: Into the woods next to me. So, now it’s stop every 2 or 3 passes to empty the bag clippings. I get it: safety. But if one is careful…

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,509,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s harder to accept that push mowers are no longer made with a side opening to shoot the clippings out. No mulcher blade, please. That just leaves the lawn too thick. Nothing like just going back and forth in straight lines, pushing through one pass, then pulling the mower back for a new pass. Debris would just keep getting pushed toward the edge of the lawn, and in my case, voila: Into the woods next to me. So, now it’s stop every 2 or 3 passes to empty the bag clippings. I get it: safety. But if one is careful…
The theory is that more thoroughly chopped clippings fall back into the grass to become mulch that re-feeds the soil.

I don't know why that marketing concept didn't get de-bunked immediately. The grass clippings lying on top of the lawn do not turn into mulch. And people who actually do mulching know that. It just turns into thatch that has to be removed before it eventually chokes the lawn. It can be turned into mulch, however, by routinely applying a "de-thatch" solution...commonly a mixture of glucose (like molasses) and live bacteria.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟784,636.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Self propelled hand mowers are fine if you've got a large yard with few interruptions.

But if you've got a smaller yard with nooks and crannies, the fact they don't reverse makes it difficult to back up and turn around.

I've got a "self propelled" Toro. It's reliable as far as mowing goes, starting first pull almost every time. But it's a pest to try to maneuvre or turn around in tight spots.

I'll probably go for a battery powered job next time.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟991,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Self propelled hand mowers are fine if you've got a large yard with few interruptions.

But if you've got a smaller yard with nooks and crannies, the fact they don't reverse makes it difficult to back up and turn around.

I've got a "self propelled" Toro. It's reliable as far as mowing goes, starting first pull almost every time. But it's a pest to try to maneuvre or turn around in tight spots.

I'll probably go for a battery powered job next time.
I have a self-propelled 21” gas Husqvarna that I bought about 5 years ago, and it works great, but already had about $500 in repairs (cables and pull ropes). I use it for backup and rely on a 40V SKIL, non-propel. Incredibly light, runs about 45 minutes on a charge, and cuts better than the Husky. But, the SKIL is a smaller diameter 20-incher and grass can only be moderately long and with just light debris to to ensure a clean cut. An 80v might be ideal, but I wonder about fire hazard of recharging. The 40v mower only works for me because I can swap out with additional batteries/chargers from compatible tools, like a SKIL weed eater and a leaf blower.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟277,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Not finally cooking from scratch

Got tired of only take out, order in or microwave

So made my very first chicken pot pie

It was so yummy, I ate the whole thing in one day-for lunch and for dinner.

Giant chunks of juicy roasted chicken into two deep dish frozen crusts, cream of chicken soups, mixed veggies and some milk, plus brushed with butter

Light flaky, easy, juicy, delicious

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟991,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is getting harder to take a "legacy" lightbulb (based on watts/volts) and figure out how that matches up with the newer ones that go by lumens. I have to spend time browsing for a watts << >> lumens converter.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,509,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is getting harder to take a "legacy" lightbulb (based on watts/volts) and figure out how that matches up with the newer ones that go by lumens. I have to spend time browsing for a watts << >> lumens converter.
The problem is that the efficiency of the incandescent light is only guessed. A more efficient bulb will emit more lumens per watt than a less efficient bulb.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟390,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem is that the efficiency of the incandescent light is only guessed. A more efficient bulb will emit more lumens per watt than a less efficient bulb.
Rule of thumb:
Incandescent lamp is 16 lumens per Watt.
Halogen lamp is 22 lumens per Watt.
CFL lamp is 26 lumens per Watt.
LED lamp 73 lumens per Watt.

It varies a little with the specific lamp, but not by much.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,509,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rule of thumb:
Incandescent lamp is 16 lumens per Watt.
Halogen lamp is 22 lumens per Watt.
CFL lamp is 26 lumens per Watt.
LED lamp 73 lumens per Watt.

It varies a little with the specific lamp, but not by much.
It can vary a lot by specific lamp, especially as they age.

Back in my early photography days, we used big incandescents for our studio portraiture, and we monitored their drift to the point they had to be replaced.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟390,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Back in my early photography days, we used big incandescents for our studio portraiture, and we monitored their drift to the point they had to be replaced.
I would think the color temperature would vary more than the lumen output. But not sure of that.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,509,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would think the color temperature would vary more than the lumen output. But not sure of that.
Yes, that does vary as well...they get warmer in color temperature as they age.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟991,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's harder to find a good, quality font for Bibles. I now need something a bit larger than 12 font, and I've learned the hard way that some publishers' "comfort", even "giant" sizes, are anything but. Some of the comfort ones are actually 10/11 font, and one publishers' giant is another's comfort. I have finally latched onto an NKJV with a comfort size that is 13.5. A very nice read, slightly heavy, but manageable.

I would like to see publishers of Christian-related literature create a universal standard for the adjectives applied to a Bible's font size. It is interesting how font size of Bibles is often omitted on websites, with only an adjective used to give potential buyers a clue as to readability.

• Agree
Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟34,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Things change as we get older, things we used to do as a much younger self are now becoming a challenge.

But is it only due to our aging bodies?

Recently I've noticed a bone spur on my knuckle on the finger that was jammed back when I was 11 playing outfield in a school softball game... without a glove. Ball hit me straight on my two longest fingers. Bent one up at the first knuckle and turning in the other finger in an odd way.

Noticed this as I was trying to remove the cap from the creamer for my coffee.

I used to not have much struggle opening things but I'm thinking back for the past 6 months maybe and realize it may not just be me.

I looked at the twist off cap, the one you open before the tamper resistant finger pull seal.

Now I don't think it's just me having trouble with this but that the manufacturer of these cardboard liquid containers (milk, creamer, OJ, eggnog and the like) are making the cap smaller. Not in diameter but in thickness. It's hard to grasp onto. I suppose it's a environmental thing but I wonder if they've even considered how it accepts the consumer. Not just the elderly but also others that are impaired of their fine motor skills?
You are right in both ways.
Things are getting harder, because of the result of sin affects us all - old age is not easy, and the manufacturers aren't more concerned about the elderly, as they are of their pockets.
Have you noticed, that once upon a time, you could read the label on goods, but now, you at times need a magnifier?
Not because your eyes are bad, but the print is extra fine.

There isn't much we can do about either.
We just have to wait until that time our sinful body will be without sin, and "no inhabitant will say, “I am sick”; the people who dwell there will be forgiven their iniquity" Isaiah 33:24 and at 100 years of age, we can say, I am only a boy. Isaiah 65:20 :)

I hope you have young ones to care for you.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟390,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's harder to find a good, quality font for Bibles. I now need something a bit larger than 12 font, and I've learned the hard way that some publishers' "comfort", even "giant" sizes, are anything but.
Have you considered using an ereader like a Kindle? There are all sorts of eBibles out there, and you can set the font to whatever is comfortable to you. Personally, I like the experience of turning pages in a real book, and that might be how you like things, too. But maybe a the electronic version would work for you.

Upvote 0