Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Jesus used the term "thief in he night" metaphorically; what is the significance of the term? I remember being burgled and it wasn't the value of what was stolen but the shock of being violated that was significant.

I think Jesus was referring to being taken unaware, but there is more to it than that; the magnitudes of the calamity, shock and despair; the finality of the end of the age; time is no more; the time of probation is ended.

In this video they use the metaphor to refer to the arrival of the great tabulation, which will be more violent but less significant.

When Nations Rise and Fall

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus used the term "thief in he night" metaphorically; what is the significance of the term? I remember being burgled and it wasn't the value of what was stolen but the shock of being violated that was significant.

I think Jesus was referring to being taken unaware, but there is more to it than that; the magnitudes of the calamity, shock and despair; the finality of the end of the age; time is no more; the time of probation is ended.

In this video they use the metaphor to refer to the arrival of the great tabulation, which will be more violent but less significant.

When Nations Rise and Fall
When you sleep, time passes but you don't really know it. During that span, a thief can come in, take what he desires, and leave without you knowing. Thus in what to you SEEMED LIKE no passage of time, the thief was able to come and go.

For the ones who look to the coming of messiah Yeshua, we will not sleep nor slumber, we are expecting him. For the world who doesn't look to him but rather to their own pleasures, they will close their eyes and he will come without them realizing it nor knowing the time.

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always assumed it meant someone who comes suddenly and takes by surprise
And so to us, we are not caught off guard, we are expecting him. But to the world who doesn't seek him....

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
When you sleep, time passes but you don't really know it. During that span, a thief can come in, take what he desires, and leave without you knowing. Thus in what to you SEEMED LIKE no passage of time, the thief was able to come and go.

For the ones who look to the coming of messiah Yeshua, we will not sleep nor slumber, we are expecting him. For the world who doesn't look to him but rather to their own pleasures, they will close their eyes and he will come without them realizing it nor knowing the time.

In Mat 24:43-51, there is an assumption that most requirements for salvation are fulfilled such tat all are bondsmen, the discussion then centres on good and evil bondsmen. "Be YE also ready", seems to refer to being good and not evil; "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" ; this sort of disappoints me; it should come with red light flashing and sirens screaming.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I always assumed it meant someone who comes suddenly and takes by surprise

Jesus talks about good bondsmen being ready and evil bondsmen not being ready; I would expect everyone to be surprised when He comes.

Upvote 0

prophetjul

Jul 6, 2017
Sabah
✟16,173.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The term 'thief in the night' is a ancient Jewish idiom.
It refers to the High priest of the temple surprise checking on the guarding priests in the middle of the night.

1 Th5 :1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Sometimes when the High priest catches the guard sleeping, he will get the ashes and burning embers from the fire at the altar and pour in onto the cotton garments of the guard!

When his clothes were on fire, the priest would wake up. He would have no choice but to rip them off and run home, naked and ashamed. One thing for sure, he would never fall asleep while on duty again.

That is the reason in Rev, it says:

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

So DON'T get burnt!

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The term 'thief in the night' is a ancient Jewish idiom.
It refers to the High priest of the temple surprise checking on the guarding priests in the middle of the night.

1 Th5 :1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.

2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

Sometimes when the High priest catches the guard sleeping, he will get the ashes and burning embers from the fire at the altar and pour in onto the cotton garments of the guard!

When his clothes were on fire, the priest would wake up. He would have no choice but to rip them off and run home, naked and ashamed. One thing for sure, he would never fall asleep while on duty again.

That is the reason in Rev, it says:

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

So DON'T get burnt!

This narrative is literal, guards being asleep; Jesus's emphasis is on being ready.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

An interesting story. Where'd you hear it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prophetjul

Jul 6, 2017
Sabah
✟16,173.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An interesting story. Where'd you hear it?
The scriptures are contextually set in an ancient Hebrew/Jewish world. There are many idioms used by Jesus. Some are obvious. Some not so. If we read and interpret through our modern Greco mindset, we will miss we God has written for us.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus the Divine Messiah's SECOND COMING will NOT be like a stealthy "sneak thief" !!...simply SUDDENLY!

Luke 17 (ALL NASB)
20 Now having been questioned by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God was coming,
He answered them and said,
“The "Kingdom of God" (Jesus) is not coming with signs to be observed;
21 nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’
For behold, the "Kingdom of God" (JESUS) is (standing) in your midst.” (among His inquisitors!)

Jesus' Second Coming Foretold

22 And He said to the disciples,
“The days will come when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.
23 They will say to you, ‘Look there! Look here!’ Do not go away, and do not run after them.
24 For just like the lightning, when it flashes out of one part of the sky, shines to the other part of the sky, so will the Son of Man be in His day.
25 But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

Matthew 24
27 For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west,
so will the (Second) coming of the Son of Man be.
28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

The Glorious Return of Jesus the God-Man

29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days
the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars (meteors?) will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
30 And then the "sign of the Son of Man" will appear in the sky,
and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn,
and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory.
31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect (all true believers) from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

The TRUMPETS!?!?

Hmmm...Second Coming?...Rapture?....FUTURE "trumpets"??

Matthew 24:31
And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet
and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

1 Thessalonians 4:16
For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

1 Corinthians 15...
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery;
we will not all sleep,
but we will all be changed, (TRANSFORMED = "SPIRIT-BODIES)
52 in a moment,
in the twinkling of an eye,
at the last trumpet;
for the trumpet will sound,
and the dead will be raised imperishable,
and we will be changed.

Upvote 0