They'll know we are Christians by our ..........

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
-attendance at Church
-smiling face
-knowledge of the Bible
-ability to memorise Bible verses
- hatred of another denomination
-love
-volunteer work to help the poor
-peaceful hearts
-dogmatic style of rhetoric
-eagerness to save non-Christians
-ability to listen without judgement
-humility in how we speak and approach others
-the number of times we pray
- silence
-way of making others feel special
-happy demeanour
-confidence
-optimism about the future
-courage under pressure
-sensitivity to those in pain
-compassion

Maybe you can add some more. Which ones apply to you by the way?

Last edited:

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
smiling face and cheerful are an issue for me. I can be happy but not outwardly show it. I can look quite pessimistic too but I have an optimism, its just not obvious to others.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
-love
-compassion

The above-mentioned 5 apply to me.

They will know we are Christians by the way we actively show the incredible love of Jesus Christ to the people around us in very tangible ways.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well, consider how hostile 2nd century pagan writers like Lucian regarded early Palestinian Christians. For me, the spiritual beauty of the commitment of these early Christians shines even more brightly through Lucian's ridicule (quoting Lucian, Peregrinus 11-13):

11. “It was then that he learned the wondrous lore of the Christians, by associating with their priests and scribes in Palestine. And—how else could it be?—in a trice he made them all look like children, for he was prophet, cult-leader, head of the synagogue, and everything, all by himself. He interpreted and explained some of their books and even composed many, and they revered him as a god, made use of him as a lawgiver, and set him down as a protector, next after that other, to be sure, whom11 they still worship, the man who was crucified in Palestine because he introduced this new cult into the world.

12. "Then at length Proteus (Peregrinus's nickname) was apprehended for this and thrown into prison, which itself gave him no little reputation as an asset for his future career and the charlatanism and notoriety-seeking that he was enamoured of. Well, when he had been imprisoned, the Christians, regarding the incident as a calamity, left nothing undone in the effort to rescue him Then, as this was impossible, every other form of attention was shown him, not in any casual way but with diligent haste, and from the very break of day aged widows and orphan children could be seen waiting near the prison, while their officials even slept inside with him after bribing the guards. Then elaborate meals were brought in, and sacred books of theirs were read aloud, and excellent Peregrinus—for he still went by that name—was called by them 'the new Socrates.'

13. “Indeed, people came even from the cities in Asia, sent by the Christians at their common expense, to support and defend and encourage the hero. They show incredible speed whenever any such public action is taken; for in no time they lavish their all. So it was then in the case of Peregrinus; much money came to him from them by reason of his imprisonment, and he procured not a little revenue from it. The poor wretches have convinced themselves, first and foremost, that they are going to be immortal and live for all time, in consequence of which they despise death and even willingly give themselves into custody; most of them. Furthermore, their first lawgiver12 persuaded them that they are all brothers of one another after they have transgressed once, for all by denying the Greek gods and by worshipping that crucified idiot himself and living under his laws. Therefore they despise all possessions indiscriminately and consider them common property, receiving such doctrines traditionally without any definite evidence. So if any charlatan and trickster, able to profit by occasions, comes among them, he quickly acquires sudden wealth by imposing upon simple folk."

\

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
They'll know we are Christians by our ..........
Hi BCP, the Bible answers your question directly.

John 13
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

I'm don't believe the Bible advances any other answers to your title question than that one. And if that's true, that must leave many wondering who we really are, especially when they read the heated/nasty exchanges that so often happen here between those of us who call ourselves Christians (especially on our "debate" threads :().

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't memorize Bible verses, but the teachings therein. It's certainly not a tradition I care for- there's few people I've met who quote verses word by word and have a compelling notion that follows.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-attendance at Church
-smiling face
-knowledge of the Bible
-ability to memorise Bible verses
- hatred of another denomination
-love
-peaceful hearts
-dogmatic style of rhetoric
-ability to listen without judgement
-the number of times we pray
- silence
-way of making others feel special
-happy demeanour
-confidence
-optimism about the future
-courage under pressure
-sensitivity to those in pain
-compassion

Maybe you can add some more. Which ones apply to you by the way?

I've only known one Jesus filled Christian.
If he didn't say "Praise God" when responding
to you, it showed on his face if he said anything else.
That alone covered most of your list.
He never quoted scripture, he lived it instead.
He was never dogmatic. He never considered
believers any differently. Was never seen praying
rather he was in prayer constantly,keeping God
top-of-mind at all times with eyes wide open.

On the other hand, my uncle can fill many items near the top of your
list and I don't consider him saved, even as a church minister.
Silence from him would be a blessing.

Upvote 0