✟1,333,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 3:1-9 ESV

“But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self… lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people… Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men corrupted in mind and disqualified regarding the faith. But they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.”

There is a false gospel which is permeating the church, at least here in America, which is giving its adherents permission to be lovers of self, and lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God. For, it requires no repentance. It requires no turning away from sinful lifestyles to follow Jesus Christ in obedience to his commands and in surrender to him as Lord (owner-master).

They have this attitude that Jesus did it all for them so that they don’t have to do anything. They teach the gospel as though Jesus accepts us just as we are, and that he includes us in his family even if we refuse to change, and even if we refuse to honor him as Lord. They expect God to forgive them of their sins, and to free them from the punishment of sin, and to guarantee them his heaven when they die, even though they refuse to submit to him.

So, they have the appearance of godliness because they profess to believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, and perhaps because they attend church services regularly, but they deny the power of godliness in their lives, because they deny Jesus his rightful place as Lord, and because they refuse to surrender their lives to him and to walk according to his commands.

But they are not content with just teaching this false gospel, but they are also on the all out attack against the true gospel of grace. For they want to try to force or persuade us off the narrow road which leads to eternal life. And they want to try to prove that the true gospel is false, and that the false gospel is true, and they are convincing many people of just that.

For, they are confusing “clean” and “unclean.” They think they are clean spiritually just because they make a profession of faith in Jesus Christ, even if it means that nothing changes in their lives, but that they go on living for sin and for self-pleasure. But “clean” means unadulterated and morally pure, because we are delivered from bondage to sin by God’s saving grace.

So, if we are taking the true gospel of Jesus Christ to the world, in the power of God’s Spirit, we are being opposed strongly by those who are promoting this “other gospel.” They will attack us with their lies, and they are attacking the true gospel with lies, too. For, they twist some of the Scriptures to their advantage while they ignore all the ones that teach what they don’t want to hear, and what they don’t want to adhere to.

So, they try to convince people that the true gospel of grace is legalistic and that it is teaching “works-based salvation” which they are to reject. And so they are pedaling a half-truth gospel which appeases human flesh rather than putting it to death. And many people are following it because it does not require them to forsake their sins or to obey the Lord.

2 Timothy 3:10-13 ESV

“You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings… Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.”

If we are true believers in Jesus Christ, not in name or in profession only, then we will be those who are following the teachings of Paul and those of the other apostles and the teachings of Jesus. And to follow means to obey, to do what the word teaches, and not to be hearers only (Jas 1:22-25).

So, if we are going to obey the word of God, then we need to know what it teaches, so we must read and study the Scriptures in context. I know that not everyone can do this, but if you are on the internet, biblehub.com is a wonderful site for reading the Scriptures in various translations and for looking at the literal translations, too, which help us to understand verb tense (this is important) and context, too.

For, we aren’t under the Old Covenant like the Jews of old were, i.e., we don’t have to obey all those old ceremonial, liturgical, and sacrificial laws that God’s people had to obey before Jesus died on the cross for our sins. But we are not to be lawless. We still have to obey the commands of God, but they are the ones repeated for us in the New Testament.

And if we hold to the teachings of Jesus and his NT apostles, and we are giving out the gospel as they taught it, we will be persecuted by those who are opposing the gospel and who are spreading a false gospel which appeals to human flesh and which gives humans permission to keep on living in deliberate and habitual sin against the Lord without guilt.

2 Timothy 3:14-17 ESV

“But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”

So, the encouragement here is for us to not get sidetracked by those who are teaching this false gospel, but to continue in the truth of the gospel which we have learned from the Scriptures, and which we have firmly believed. For these charlatans who are teaching this false gospel can be very convincing, and they can try to make us feel guilty for holding to the truth.

And don’t avoid the Old Testament just because some of it is not directly applicable to our lives today. There is much truth which is taught in the Old Testament which is repeated for us in the New Testament, and the Old Testament has many prophecies about Jesus Christ and these last days, too, and many good examples to follow and bad ones to not follow, too.

For all Scripture, even if some is not directly applicable to our lives today, is still God’s word, and it still teaches holiness, righteousness, obedience, and love for God and for our fellow humans. There are biblical principles to be learned from the whole Bible, if understood in the proper context. So, dig into the Scriptures, and study them in context, and then pray for the Holy Spirit to lead you to all truth and to expose the lies so you don’t follow them.

All I Ask of You

by Andrew Lloyd Webber

No more talk of darkness,
Forget these wide-eyed fears;
I'm here, nothing can harm you,
My words will warm and calm you.
Let me be your freedom,
Let daylight dry your tears;
I'm here, with you, beside you,
To guard you and to guide you.

Let me be your shelter,
Let me be your light…

Love me, that's all I ask of you

Caution: This link may contain ads

The above lyrics are taken from a secular song, “All I Ask of You,” but these quoted lyrics express God’s words to us, that we would let him be our freedom, that we would let him shelter us and be our light, and that we would find our hope, and our peace and safety in him and not in the things of this dark world. All he asks of us is that we love him, which means we submit to him as Lord, and we obey his commands.

Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For, they are confusing “clean” and “unclean.” They think they are clean spiritually just because they make a profession of faith in Jesus Christ, even if it means that nothing changes in their lives, but that they go on living for sin and for self-pleasure. But “clean” means unadulterated and morally pure, because we are delivered from bondage to sin by God’s saving grace.

Luke 17:11-19

11While Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem, He was passing between Samaria and Galilee. 12As He entered one of the villages, He was met by ten lepers. They stood at a distance 13and raised their voices, shouting, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”14When Jesus saw them, He said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they were on their way, they were cleansed.15When one of them saw that he was healed, he came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16He fell facedown at Jesus’ feet in thanksgiving to Him—and he was a Samaritan.17“Were not all ten cleansed?” Jesus asked. “Where then are the other nine? 18Was no one found except this foreigner to return and give glory to God?”19Then Jesus said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well!”

There is physical healing and also spiritual healing as the above scriptures show.

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟369,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
But we are not to be lawless. We still have to obey the commands of God, but they are the ones repeated for us in the New Testament.

The Ten Commandments in the New Testament.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

1 Corinthians 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.​

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

1 John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.​

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.​

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Matthew 12:6-8 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Matthew 24:20-21 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.​

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Ephesians 6:1-2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise.

Matthew 15:4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.​

6. Thou shalt not kill.

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.​

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Matthew 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.​

8. Thou shalt not steal.

Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

Matthew 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness.​

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Mark 10:19 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.​

10. Thou shalt not covet.

Mark 7:21-23 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.​

Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

2 Corinthians 13:1 ...In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Conclusion:
  • All of the Ten Commandments are found in the New Testament as being declared and/or observed.
  • The will of the Father, which Jesus called us to do, includes the entirety of scripture, not just the New Testament. All the law and the prophets (Matthew 22:40).

Last edited:
Upvote 0