Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews 3:11
So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’

When God said they will never enter His rest, I assume He's talking about eternal rest, yes?

Question: How many of the Israelites failed to enter His rest? Did God deliver His people from Egypt just to damn all of their souls to hell for angering Him? How many entered the promised land of Canaan?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When God said they will never enter His rest, I assume He's talking about eternal rest, yes?

Question: How many of the Israelites failed to enter His rest? Did God deliver His people from Egypt just to damn all of their souls to hell for angering Him? How many entered the promised land of Canaan?
There is always a remnant who are in His rest . Back then and still now some repent from unbelief to belief in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. As far as numbers , this is a figure that constantly grows with both Jews and Gentiles as one in the Body of Christ.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is always a remnant who are in His rest . Back then and still now some repent from unbelief to belief in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. As far as numbers , this is a figure that constantly grows with both Jews and Gentiles as one in the Body of Christ.
Blessings.
Okay so you're saying this verse is not historical?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Its a quote from the OT - referencing the time when God commanded them to turn back - away from the land of Canaan - and to wander in the wilderness ... that generation doomed to not enter the promised land.

Of course we know Moses appears with Christ after that in Matt 17 .. standing in glory with both Elijah and Christ and witnessed by 3 disciples.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay so you're saying this verse is not historical?
A historical account aimed to remind Jews weak in faith of their fate if they reject their Messiah or in this case turn back to Temple Judaism and its sacrificial tradition.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If they remained unbelieving in their hearts of the promise of rest in Canaan, yes.

That refers to the group in Numbers 14 who refused to go into Canaan because of unbelief.

They were judged with never entering the promised rest of Canaan (Dt 12:9-10, 25:19; Jos 21:44, 22:4).
All those who refused to go in at Numbers 14 failed to enter the rest of Canaan. The judgment was temporal, not spiritual.

Many probably repented of their disobedience and were forgiven which, however, did not remove the judgment.

All the remaining Israelites entered Canaan about 40 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

besides eternal rest there is also the rests we enjoy when we know we are under God's protection or enjoy his favor because we have been faithful, where some people worry and fear, Christians can have faith in God to deliver them, and provide for their needs

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

You need to look as to why some of the Israelites did not enter into His rest…. This is what Hebrews 3 and Hebrews 4 is warning us about…

Hebrews 3:7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
8 Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion,
In the day of trial in the wilderness,
9 Where your fathers tested Me, tried Me,
And saw My works forty years.
10 Therefore I was angry with that generation,
And said, ‘They always go astray in their heart,
And they have not known My ways.’
11 So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest.’ ”

12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; 13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, 15 while it is said:

Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.”

Similar to Hebrews 4

Hebrews 4:3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

Do not harden your hearts.”

After everything God did for the Israelites they still disobeyed and sinned.

Ezekiel 20:13
13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Not everyone died and disobeyed God in the wilderness, but many did after God recused them from bondage, provide food and water for them for forty years, they still broke the commandments of God. Is that still a problem today? After Jesus sacrificed Himself for the forgiveness of sins and sanctification yet many still prefer to live in the bondage of sin. What happened to the majority of the Israelites sadly will happen again at the Second Coming of Jesus as predicted by Jesus Himself. Matthew 7:21-23

Hebrews 4 is a call to obedience and shows how we enter the rest in Christ.

Hebrews 4:10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

God wants us to cease from our works the same day He did because we are made in His image to follow Him . When does God cease from His works? This very passage tells us which is a reference to where God gave us the Ten Commandments written by the finger of God Exodus 31:18, kept in the ark of the Covenant in the Most Holy of God’s Temple which is revealed in heaven. Revelation 11:19

Hebrews 4:4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”

God wants us to obey His commandments, the way He wrote them as we are commanded not to add or subtract from His commandments. Deuteronomy 4:2. Hebrews 3 and 4 is a call to obedience to Him and a warning to us so we do not have the same fate as the Israelites.

Hebrews 4:11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe the meaning of rest is many fold. In a nutshell, one can only have true peace when he is with God, in a sense of eternity. While "enter God's rest" bears the meaning that how one can rest after a physical death. Paul the Pharisee refers it to as "sleep".

1 Corinthians 15:18 (NIV):
Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 (NIV):
For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

God is harsh to the Jews as one of the purposes of Israel as God's chosen people is to demonstrate to later humans how strict God's Law is, and thus how merciful God's Grace is through Jesus Christ. The Jews cannot enter rest is a physical realization that the whole generation of them are not allowed to enter Canaan, including Moses. On the other hand, is Moses saved spiritually? The answer is yes, so may be the Jews as God's chosen people to complete their mission of carrying forward God's message of human salvation. God may have mercy on them.

The judgment of the Jews is in accordance to the Jewish covenants God granted to them, with Moses as the accuser as Mosaic Law plays an important role in such a judgment. We may have to leave this between God and the Jews.

John 5:45 (NIV):
But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set.

In the mean time, we may have to put aside the Jews to the "ignore list" for awhile, till "the fullness of the gentiles" is done,

Romans 11:25-26 (NIV):
I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers and sisters, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in, and in this way all Israel will be saved. As it is written: “The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob.

The Temple is shut down, and focus now is on the gentiles.

Malachi 1:10-11 (NIV)
"Oh, that one of you would shut the temple doors, so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you,” says the LORD Almighty, “and I will accept no offering from your hands.
My name will be great among the nations, from where the sun rises to where it sets. In every place incense and pure offerings will be brought to me, because my name will be great among the nations,” says the LORD Almighty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0