Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure they can if people choose to look the other way. The culture of a school may not find things acceptable but something like not allowing interracial dating as a rule if a school handbook is racial discrimination and illegal

Private schools likely change these rules because of outside pressure, but private entities can discriminate in many ways.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
These "articles" never give any useful information.

What exactly, in writing, is the policy? And exactly what punishments are listed, in writing, for going again the policy? Oh, no information? Another article suitable for the garbage heap.

Without that, everyone makes their own guess about what's likely to have happened.

Here's mine: the girl wears her hair as she wears it. Some offense (possibly unknown to the girl herself) gets some other student into a panic. That student looks for an outlet for anger and gets their bored and / or angry parents involved. They complain to the school. The school looks for a way to "get" the offending student to shut up the noisy parent. They pick on this, in their confusion not realizing or caring it will look racist. The rest is history.

My experience with schools from nursery school (now Pre-K) through graduate study suggests that schools don't care about all their fair talk or their wacky rules or anything. They care about surviving as an institution and generally respond to the most immediate threat. Angry parent? Response. Accusations of racism? Move the other way.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Video of officer slamming N.C. girl to the ground reveals how little some cops care about black kids
On Tuesday morning, a student at Rolesville High School in Rolesville, N.C., posted a nine-second clip online of what can only be described as police brutality.

In it, we see what we now know was Officer Ruben De Los Santos picking up and slamming a petite girl to the ground like a rag doll. Her mother, speaking to local media, said the outrageous slam actually gave her daughter a concussion.
Trying to break up a fight? Get body slammed.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a teacher at one point (12 years), so I always look for the part of the story where the school's/teacher's side of the issue is presented. Rarely, if ever, do we see that. It's always parents going directly to the media. So, understand you're only getting a one-sided narrative. Because I taught I always know that one-sided narratives rarely tell the whole story.

I agree. They always have privacy issues they say they want to respect.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status