Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
If that is the case and this was the way her hair was when she was accepted into the school, I completely agree. If they had a problem with her natural hair, they should have let the family know before they accepted her in the school. In most private schools, you have to interview before being accepted.

Her hair might have changed during puberty bc that happens to a lot of girls. Straighter hair can become curlier. The texture can change too. Idk how old she was when she started the school but if she was younger it would make sense that it wasn't the same as when she was in MS. Your hair colour can change then too.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"VanDyke said she's had her large, natural hair all year long, but it only became an issue after the family complained about students teasing her about her hair."

She says that she doesn't care about them NOT liking her hair in the video, and then complains to school about being teased over it. I would assume the second option is more in line with the issue.

I know with many private schools they do have rules over hair. Boys have to keep it a certain length for example. I know when the kid's were young, and my son had hair grown to long - I was instructed to cut it. Girls had restrictions on what types of styles.

They had a school mate that had thick, curly red hair. It used to POOF out like the girl in the video - especially with humidity. She had to follow the types of styles like anyone else. I never asked her how she did it, but it never looked like it had product in it.

School administrators told Local 6 in a statement on Tuesday, "we're not asking her to put products in her hair or cut her hair. We're asking her to style her hair within the guidelines according to the school handbook."

I don't see this as an issue with AA kids. I see this as an issue with silly school rules, and yet in private school that is what they require you to accept. Believe me the hair styles aren't the only silly rule they have.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If that is the case and this was the way her hair was when she was accepted into the school, I completely agree. If they had a problem with her natural hair, they should have let the family know before they accepted her in the school. In most private schools, you have to interview before being accepted.

Not letting a student in a school because he has curly hair is an act of discrimination. Schools are not allowed to choose students based on race per the Civil Rights Act. It would be based on race because the curly hair is a product of her ethnic identity. They may have a case against dreadlocks because even though they grow naturally, they are put in intentionally. Curly hair just grows when a brush or comb is used it is fluffy in it's natural state with no alteration.

They could have a rule against long hair but it would have to also apply to those with straight hair

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
She says that she doesn't care about them NOT liking her hair in the video, and then complains to school about being teased over it. I would assume the second option is more in line with the issue.

I know with many private schools they do have rules over hair. Boys have to keep it a certain length for example. I know when the kid's were young, and my son had hair grown to long - I was instructed to cut it. Girls had restrictions on what types of styles.

They had a school mate that had thick, curly red hair. It used to POOF out like the girl in the video - especially with humidity. She had to follow the types of styles like anyone else. I never asked her how she did it, but it never looked like it had product in it.

I don't see this as an issue with AA kids. I see this as an issue with silly school rules, and yet in private school that is what they require you to accept. Believe me the hair styles aren't the only silly rule they have.
However, it only became an issue after she was getting bullied. Instead of dealing with the bullies, they decided to go after her, long after they did nothing about her hair.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not letting a student in a school because he has curly hair is an act of discrimination. Schools are not allowed to choose students based on race per the Civil Rights Act. It would be based on race because the curly hair is a product of her ethnic identity. They may have a case against dreadlocks because even though they grow naturally, they are put in intentionally. Curly hair just grows when a brush or comb is used it is fluffy in it's natural state with no alteration.

They could have a rule against long hair but it would have to also apply to those with straight hair

Not sure the code was against "curly" hair and more likely how large her afro was, which is really the same as another person simply having long hair, would it not be?

Really not enough specific reliable information in the link, to draw any legit conclusions.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, it only became an issue after she was getting bullied. Instead of dealing with the bullies, they decided to go after her, long after they did nothing about her hair.

Schools are weird. You know how it works. They will tell her that her hair is a 'distraction'. We don't know if they dealt with the bullies are not, because the story doesn't go into that part.

We had problems with the school - public school - over a tshirt that our child had been wearing all year old. Last two weeks of school? Then it was a problem. Heck, they had an issue with a documentary book that was loaned to them by their grandmother...and they didn't like the politician so they were told NOT to bring it back.

A dress code that only targets students with a very specific hair type?

Private schools target all the students, and not just ones with certain hair types. Yes, they are particular. I think for the most part it is unneeded, but you know what you sign up for.

This story is so old anyway - at least a couple of years ago. Since that time? She looks grown up - still natural hair, but I think it look nicer. Mother started a hair care line for natural hair.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I'm pretty sure private schools can discriminate. There was a school that didn't allow interracial dating until a few years ago, and they weren't forced to change the rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Schools are weird. You know how it works. They will tell her that her hair is a 'distraction'. We don't know if they dealt with the bullies are not, because the story doesn't go into that part.

We had problems with the school - public school - over a tshirt that our child had been wearing all year old. Last two weeks of school? Then it was a problem. Heck, they had an issue with a documentary book that was loaned to them by their grandmother...and they didn't like the politician so they were told NOT to bring it back.

Private schools target all the students, and not just ones with certain hair types. Yes, they are particular. I think for the most part it is unneeded, but you know what you sign up for.

This story is so old anyway - at least a couple of years ago. Since that time? She looks grown up - still natural hair, but I think it look nicer. Mother started a hair care line for natural hair.
I thought this sounded familiar.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟733,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm pretty sure private schools can discriminate. There was a school that didn't allow interracial dating until a few years ago, and they weren't forced to change the rule.

Sure they can if people choose to look the other way. The culture of a school may not find things acceptable but something like not allowing interracial dating as a rule if a school handbook is racial discrimination and illegal

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That was many MOONS ago! Bob Jones University - which was/is rather a cultic environment. (shivers)

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Do you have a link? That sounds really weird. Was it a school in North America?

Eta - oh nm, just read the post above mine. Super glad to know that it happened many moons ago & not recently!!! I was kinda weirded out there for a second.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
2000 is rather recent, and it only changed because George W. Bush visited there during his presidential campaign. Racism is always a long time ago, but when you start inspecting these stories, they're not really that far back. Pretty soon the current movement against racial bias in policing will be claimed to be long ago, so stop talking about racism! :D

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
2000 is rather recent, and it only changed because George W. Bush visited there during his presidential campaign. Racism is always a long time ago, but when you start inspecting these stories, they're not really that far back. Pretty soon the current movement against racial bias in policing will be claimed to be long ago, so stop talking about racism! :D

Guess it depends on your perspective. I was born in 2000 so it definitely isn't recent to me! It's still really disappointing that that happened in my own lifetime.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guess it depends on your perspective. I was born in 2000 so it definitely isn't recent to me! It's still really disappointing that that happened in my own lifetime.

In our lifetime it was many moons ago. Even then the viewpoint was outdated, and why it hit the news. They adopted the ban in the 1950's, and wouldn't even accept minorities until the 1970's. Yes, they are a bit backwards - still are in many areas. Don't even ask about the policies when it comes to women. That still exists.

The school lost its tax-exempt status in 1983 after a 13-year battle with the Internal Revenue Service, which said the school's policies violated federal law. The school had justified its ban on interracial dating by saying that God created people differently for a reason.

So, this goes way back beyond 2000.

• Informative
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Private entities typically can discriminate, based on their rules and as long as they equally apply the rules to all.

Private country clubs can not allow women or people of certain religions if they so choose. Churches can deny membership to whoever they choose, etc..

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was a teacher at one point (12 years), so I always look for the part of the story where the school's/teacher's side of the issue is presented. Rarely, if ever, do we see that. It's always parents going directly to the media. So, understand you're only getting a one-sided narrative. Because I taught I always know that one-sided narratives rarely tell the whole story.

• Agree
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0