These Girls Are Speaking out Against a Terrible Form of Racism in U.S. Schools

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
These Girls Are Speaking out Against a Terrible Form of Racism in U.S. Schools
A new video campaign features young black girls exposing a shocking truth about the U.S. school system.

The National Women's Law Center (NWLC) posted a viral Facebook video on Thursday about the racism black girls face in school from teachers and administrators, along with launching the hashtag #LetHerLearn.

[...]

...at Faith Christian Academy in Orlando, Florida, which made headlines because the school threatened to expel Vanessa Van Dyke, who was 12 years old at the time, for wearing her hair in a natural style.

"It says that I'm unique," VanDyke told a local Orlando Station in 2013. "First of all, it's puffy and I like it that way. I know people will tease me about it because it's not straight. I don't fit in."

School officials called her afro a distraction and said it violated the school's dress code concerning hair care. The school later changed its mind after the story received media attention, and Van Dyke returned to school.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How can you punish a black student for having curly hair? How does that break a dress code?

ETA: Reading some of the links help:

"VanDyke said she's had her large, natural hair all year long, but it only became an issue after the family complained about students teasing her about her hair."

In other words according to the family the school did not make it an issue until the bullying became intolerable. And then rather than going after the people clearly breaking school rules they went after her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can you punish a black student for having curly hair? How does that break a dress code?

You would have to look at the dress code. Are there other blacks in the school who did not violate the dress code? Was the dress (appearance code) in place before these students attended the school? Were white students allowed to break these same appearance codes? These are all the important questions that would need to answered with reliable evidence, to determine if racism was taking place.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, kind of loses a lot when you just throw it in the crux and let the bottom line be the only thing left, doesn't it? That's somewhat poignant in and of itself. Everyone just wants a single statement devoid of decipherable context from which to draw personalized perception of situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Vanessa Van Dyke, who was 12 years old at the time, for wearing her hair in a natural style.
I'm guessing she did this because it takes several hour to put in braids or she really likes the look. Instead of the messy pony tail look. I cant believe she almost got expelled over it. It's a Christian private school. I thought the natural hair was a good thing. Fight it or move on. I wouldn't send my child to a Christian school.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing she did this because it takes several hour to put in braids or she really likes the look. Instead of the messy pony tail look. I cant believe she almost got expelled over it. It's a Christian private school. I thought the natural hair was a good thing. Fight it or move on. I wouldn't send my child to a Christian school.

When you decide to send your kid to any private school, one must agree to the rules that are in place. Just as with a private country club, that has set rules.

The OP seems to be claiming, that a black girl was picked out, simply because she was black. The questions that I asked in another post would need to be answered with reliable evidence, to make that determination.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

When you decide to send your kid to any private school, one must agree to the rules that are in place. Just as with a private country club, that has set rules.

The OP seems to be claiming, that a black girl was picked out, simply because she was black. The questions that I asked in another post would need to be answered with reliable evidence, to make that determination.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm guessing the school had no anti-afro policy for if it did, the suspension would stand. When the issue was brought up in such a way that it was made plain the suspension was about her having afro style hair, the school immediately backed down. Had they not, the school would be liable for violating the Civil Rights Act.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Private schools are allowed to have dress codes and determine what is acceptable in their private school in regards to appearance.

If you have any credible evidence that white students were allowed to violate the codes, with no punishment, let us know.
I went to a Catholic HS with dress code.

Dude came in with a purple Mohawk after Christmas break. Suspended until hair fixed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I went to a Catholic HS with dress code.

Dude came in with a purple Mohawk after Christmas break. Suspended until hair fixed.
The difference, this is her natural hair and they wanted her to straighten it because other kids were bullying her. Seems to me the best response would have been to deal with the bullies, not attack the victim of bullying. Considering they only voiced disapproval after bullying began, it seems like a ridiculous request to tell a girl she can't have her natural hair.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
That's ridiculous to penalize a girl for wearing her hair like it naturally is. If she had dyed it with Kool Aid or something OK but giving her trouble for just wearing it the way it is, that's really offensive & lame.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's ridiculous to penalize a girl for wearing her hair like it naturally is. If she had dyed it with Kool Aid or something OK but giving her trouble for just wearing it the way it is, that's really offensive & lame.

If that is the case and this was the way her hair was when she was accepted into the school, I completely agree. If they had a problem with her natural hair, they should have let the family know before they accepted her in the school. In most private schools, you have to interview before being accepted.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The difference, this is her natural hair and they wanted her to straighten it because other kids were bullying her. Seems to me the best response would have been to deal with the bullies, not attack the victim of bullying. Considering they only voiced disapproval after bullying began, it seems like a ridiculous request to tell a girl she can't have her natural hair.

Yep. There was this episode of South Park or something, IDK, but it had this really dumb thing about kicking a ginger. A ginger is somebody with red hair. So it was supposed to be a joke but kids took it literally & really did kick kids with red hair. To me penalizing a black girl bc of her natural hair is just the same as wanting a girl with hair that is naturally red to dye it another colour. It's just super majorly wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Also to address the other pert of the OP that states a black or Latina female is 5 times more likely to face a suspension for "talking back" to a teacher. What I have notices in my work with students ranging from ages 4 to 15 or so in elementary schools, after school programs and summer programs is once black girls get to about grade 5 or 6, they mature much faster than other girls in a lot of cases, Some of them are already babysitting other siblings, doing laundry, washing dishes, and even cooking for other siblings. They want to be spoken to with respect and not dismissed as little children who have nothing to say.

I have made a much larger impact with these girls by speaking to them like I would a teenager or young adult. Sometimes their younger minds are not capable of processing information like an adult when they are upset but before they get to the point of being upset, approaching them respectfully goes a very long way Many times adults will tell a student to do something "because I said so" or "just do what you are told" and that approach will nt work.

Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0