There's this girl...but I don't know if I can pursue...

Luis Z

Feb 10, 2017
New Jersey, USA
✟8,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, blessings! I happen to have a big crush. It all started somewhat recent. An event like this is usually something to be a happy about. Unfortunately, I'm very conflicted, and don't know what to do. So I would like to seek council here if possible, to see what you all think. First things first, I'm male, 28 years old. I practically grew up in church, and never left, always been here trying to stay as faithful to God as possible. I recently moved to a new church, which is just an amazing place. I moved because God actually gave me word to move from my old church. I prayed for Him to guide me to a new place, and He definitely did. I'm happy and blessed where I am now. And it was here in this new place that I met a girl. At first it was just like any other regular "nice to meet you" kind of thing. Because I have been given the privilege to serve in the music ministry for another location that my new church recently opened, focused on college students, I'm usually not around in the main church. However, once a given semester ends, I go back to attending the main church. This summer, as I went back there, I began to reconnect with all the young adults that I hadn't seen in a while. I got to spend more time with them, share with them in fellowship, so it's been pretty great. During this time, I got to also reconnect with this girl that I had previously met. I'm not entirely sure how it all happened, it felt very natural and organic on how we connected. I came to know that many of her struggles were very similar to mine in a way. She's been through so much, but God has sustained and guided her through it all. I began to see how amazing she was. How love literally poured out of her, and how God uses her in such amazing ways. She has this big heart, such kindness and sweetness. Before I knew it, I was totally and utterly attracted to her. She's beautiful. So you might think, this is great, I don't see any problem at all. Of course, here's the big but. Sigh...shes only 18, going to 19. So I, of course, start to ask myself the obvious question: What in the world am I thinking?? The gap is pretty substantial. Almost 10 years!! I'll be honest, I'm very very conflicted. On one side, I want to pursue her. I feel like we match up very well, and it's something that I wasn't even looking for, it was almost as if it was brought to me. Yes, definitely not what I originally expected or wanted. I wanted somebody older, closer to my age. On the other hand, there's the ethics. Is it ethical for me to pursue her? would we be accepted by my church? I know for a fact that my family will go ballistic if they were to find out I'm dating an 18 year old. Even when I say it, sounds ridiculous...is this something that I'm just gonna have to forget about and put it behind me? ...could I be making the mistake of a life time by letting her go?...what does this say about me, liking someone so young?...
So you see my brothers and sisters, this is my predicament, and it's literally keeping me up at night. Someone, please help, shed some light on this complicated mess :( Or at least pray for me, for guidance, for me to be able to make the right decision here.
Note: I also posted this in the singles only forum. I think I should have posted this here instead lol that way more people can see it and respond to it, so my apologies.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, she is really young, and at her age that difference is big. A different life stage all together. Also, did you know that peoples brains develop until they're 25 or so. If you both were a few years older it wouldn't be bad. But now, I believe it were best to not pursue her. She could be flattered and make a too quick desicion that she'd regret later.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What aino said about your being in two different life stages is correct. Presumably, you are established and settled into some sort of career or long-term job situation. She, otoh, is at the age where she is just now starting to figure out what she wants her long-term plan to be.

It's also true that our brains develop until we're about 25, but I don't know how much that matters. (Does it have like 2% to go between 18 and 25?)

Personally, I would stay close to her but let her make the moves. At 18, she is "of age" for most things, but I think you should let her decide how or if she wants things to progress between the two of you. Don't pursue, but don't disengage. Follow her lead.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Danger Will Robinson! You are too young to remember, "Lost In Space," references I suppose. Your 18-year old friend is going to have several worldview changes in the next 10 years. You have no idea where that indivual is going to land. Infatuation is a remnant of a design for intimacy with your maker, and he provides spouse to recover a portion of his design. But he may have already revealed his wisdom to you and you are posting because you don't like the answer. Imagine for a minute that instead of immature we said your young friend was wearing two masks. She would pull the first one off in five years, and the second one off in ten years. Only then would you know who she really was inside.

Now look at it from her perspective. You have heard of beer-goggles. She has teenage-girl-older-guy-goggles. It is a thing. Has been forever. Just say no and date someone without the masks.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone, blessings! I happen to have a big crush. It all started somewhat recent. An event like this is usually something to be a happy about. Unfortunately, I'm very conflicted, and don't know what to do. So I would like to seek council here if possible, to see what you all think. First things first, I'm male, 28 years old. I practically grew up in church, and never left, always been here trying to stay as faithful to God as possible. I recently moved to a new church, which is just an amazing place. I moved because God actually gave me word to move from my old church. I prayed for Him to guide me to a new place, and He definitely did. I'm happy and blessed where I am now. And it was here in this new place that I met a girl. At first it was just like any other regular "nice to meet you" kind of thing. Because I have been given the privilege to serve in the music ministry for another location that my new church recently opened, focused on college students, I'm usually not around in the main church. However, once a given semester ends, I go back to attending the main church. This summer, as I went back there, I began to reconnect with all the young adults that I hadn't seen in a while. I got to spend more time with them, share with them in fellowship, so it's been pretty great. During this time, I got to also reconnect with this girl that I had previously met. I'm not entirely sure how it all happened, it felt very natural and organic on how we connected. I came to know that many of her struggles were very similar to mine in a way. She's been through so much, but God has sustained and guided her through it all. I began to see how amazing she was. How love literally poured out of her, and how God uses her in such amazing ways. She has this big heart, such kindness and sweetness. Before I knew it, I was totally and utterly attracted to her. She's beautiful. So you might think, this is great, I don't see any problem at all. Of course, here's the big but. Sigh...shes only 18, going to 19. So I, of course, start to ask myself the obvious question: What in the world am I thinking?? The gap is pretty substantial. Almost 10 years!! I'll be honest, I'm very very conflicted. On one side, I want to pursue her. I feel like we match up very well, and it's something that I wasn't even looking for, it was almost as if it was brought to me. Yes, definitely not what I originally expected or wanted. I wanted somebody older, closer to my age. On the other hand, there's the ethics. Is it ethical for me to pursue her? would we be accepted by my church? I know for a fact that my family will go ballistic if they were to find out I'm dating an 18 year old. Even when I say it, sounds ridiculous...is this something that I'm just gonna have to forget about and put it behind me? ...could I be making the mistake of a life time by letting her go?...what does this say about me, liking someone so young?...
So you see my brothers and sisters, this is my predicament, and it's literally keeping me up at night. Someone, please help, shed some light on this complicated mess :( Or at least pray for me, for guidance, for me to be able to make the right decision here.
Note: I also posted this in the singles only forum. I think I should have posted this here instead lol that way more people can see it and respond to it, so my apologies.

I'd be interested in knowing if the young lady showing a romantic
interest in you?

She's of legal age to marry, so nothing unethical about you considering
her as someone you'd like to get to know better...that is, if she's
"interested" in you.

Why would your parents go ballistic if they found out you were dating
the young lady who is legally old enough to get married?

Well known Pastor John Hagee, his wife Diane is 12 years younger than he is.

Upvote 0