• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

There is no recovery for people with Serious Schizophrenia, or Bipolars 1 Disorders. Only Remission.

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I am 37 about to be 38. I have been going through this since I was 19, with a possible episode when I was 18. During the experience of a strong push towards a "recovery" model, It has had a detrimental impact on the most Seriously Ill, And the most vulnerable amung us. In short, There is {usually}, No recovery for a person experiencing Serious Mental Illness. This usually falls under the lines of Schizophrenias, Or Bipolars 1. Bipolars 2 can be more serious as it causes the person to act out in worse ways than they would, Because they are more functional most of the time, However they still have an illness, So they can ruin their lives more consistently and I guess, more than someone with Bipolars 1 who is treated and on medication.
I did not receive enough care, In enough time to get myself back to fully functional. I was bounced in and out of hospitals too fast for me to recover and get stable on medications within a reasonable amount of time, And Involuntary Care saved my life. With the lack of hospital beds, And the lack of Involuntary Commitment laws, This is making our homelessness crisis worse, and causing a problem for all of society and those effected by Serious Mental Illnesses. I have never done drugs, I have never had a drinking problem, I have never smoked a cigarette. My issue is purely genetic, And purely chemical. Had I been able to be hospitalized for a longer period of time, And better monitored for a longe period of time, I do not know if that would have been beneficial,
But I have a Chronic, Serious Mental Brain Illness. I am not going to recover, I will only ever be in remission. I have a Chronic Serious Mental Illness in the Brain. I will only ever be in remission, Not recovery. Thank you , And God bless. :amen:

NinjaPirate777

Nov 11, 2022
Omaha
✟10,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes we are what we think we are. Other times we are what we do.

It took me awhile to admit I had mental issues. Then it took awhile to get the meds right. Now I am stable and happy with life. I have lots of friends and coworkers I get on well with. My family is slowly coming around. I drank for many years and caused many people I love alot of pain. Getting the meds right helped me to not feel compelled to drink to feel better. When I was cycling bipolar I would drink alot when I bottomed out in depression. I did it to feel better because I wanted the end, oblivion. The best advice I can give is never give up and keep trying new things until you find what works. Always focus on God. Sometimes He puts us through the wringer to get us where we need to be for His Glory.

Reactions: Psalm83:18
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. I am 37 about to be 38. I have been going through this since I was 19, with a possible episode when I was 18. During the experience of a strong push towards a "recovery" model, It has had a detrimental impact on the most Seriously Ill, And the most vulnerable amung us. In short, There is {usually}, No recovery for a person experiencing Serious Mental Illness. This usually falls under the lines of Schizophrenias, Or Bipolars 1. Bipolars 2 can be more serious as it causes the person to act out in worse ways than they would, Because they are more functional most of the time, However they still have an illness, So they can ruin their lives more consistently and I guess, more than someone with Bipolars 1 who is treated and on medication.
I did not receive enough care, In enough time to get myself back to fully functional. I was bounced in and out of hospitals too fast for me to recover and get stable on medications within a reasonable amount of time, And Involuntary Care saved my life. With the lack of hospital beds, And the lack of Involuntary Commitment laws, This is making our homelessness crisis worse, and causing a problem for all of society and those effected by Serious Mental Illnesses. I have never done drugs, I have never had a drinking problem, I have never smoked a cigarette. My issue is purely genetic, And purely chemical. Had I been able to be hospitalized for a longer period of time, And better monitored for a longe period of time, I do not know if that would have been beneficial,
But I have a Chronic, Serious Mental Brain Illness. I am not going to recover, I will only ever be in remission. I have a Chronic Serious Mental Illness in the Brain. I will only ever be in remission, Not recovery. Thank you , And God bless. :amen:
I am 31, diagnosed Bipolar and Schizophrenic, and have been since 21. I work in mental health. Mental health ebs and flows. Some days are better than others. The days that are easier i build up mentally. The days that are tough i hold on tight. It's a balance of prayer and medication. I've been on social security and i've worked full time and been in between. Jesus has been with me always. I thought I was hearing The Holy Spirit for many years turned out to be a false spirit. Now I discern the Holy Spirit when it's quoted scripture that has to do with encouragement according to the verse that says "When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me."John 15:26. Do not lose hope brother, there is always hope. I know you're older than me. That being said I know with Jesus's help you will do fine, feel free to message me as well I would love to talk more 1 on 1 to just be encouraging. Iron sharpens Iron.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My journey out took 7 years of much prayer and ministry.

I was a psychiatric patient and given electric shock treatment and chlorpromazine.

I read the bible only for 5 years plus to become strong during this period of restoration.

I learned to resist the spiritual attacks in His name.

When strong, I led an inner city ministry for at risk folk many were saved, healed and delivered.

You can read my testimony here...

• Love
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have come to the conclusion that mine, bad as it is "sometimes", is like Paul's thorn in his side, and will probably not ever completely go away, as long as it is still serving a purpose in my life, etc...

It's messed up, especially if I told you all the details of it, but is probably not ever going away as long as it is doing something tied to a much greater and much higher purpose in my life, etc...

I absolutely hate it, and oh how God absolutely knows that, but it is what it is right now in my life right now currently etc...

I guess someone, or some group of people or individuals, decided I needed some limits in my life, and believe me, they are, or it is, etc...

Also probably something that would keep me close to Him (God) in and throughout my life as well maybe, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I have come to the conclusion that mine, bad as it is "sometimes", is like Paul's thorn in his side, and will probably not ever completely go away, as long as it is still serving a purpose in my life, etc...

It's messed up, especially if I told you all the details of it, but is probably not ever going away as long as it is doing something tied to a much greater and much higher purpose in my life, etc...

I absolutely hate it, and oh how God absolutely knows that, but it is what it is right now in my life right now currently etc...

I guess someone, or some group of people or individuals, decided I needed some limits in my life, and believe me, they are, or it is, etc...

Also probably something that would keep me close to Him (God) in and throughout my life as well maybe, etc...

God Bless!
i want you to know i deal with a lot too even asi type this sometimes the intrusive thoughts are discouraging, but be encouraged Jesus knows what we deal with, and i feel like if people knew what i deal with they would not be able to handle it. I see very "not fun" things but would rather not say what they are. Jesus is more powerful and always with me. I don't believe that all negative things are thorns, i've noticed one of the negative voices always tries to quote that scripture when i try to get rid of things, just chip away and know that freedom is possible. You may win some battles and lose some. Pace yourself and know you don't have to be rid of everything right away but just chip away, be the annoyance in the lives of those things that try to annoy you, and in the end with Jesus be victoriously more annoying in the end.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
My journey out took 7 years of much prayer and ministry.

I was a psychiatric patient and given electric shock treatment and chlorpromazine.

I read the bible only for 5 years plus to become strong during this period of restoration.

I learned to resist the spiritual attacks in His name.

When strong, I led an inner city ministry for at risk folk many were saved, healed and delivered.

You can read my testimony here...

Praise Jesus you are free!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
i want you to know i deal with a lot too even asi type this sometimes the intrusive thoughts are discouraging, but be encouraged Jesus knows what we deal with, and i feel like if people knew what i deal with they would not be able to handle it. I see very "not fun" things but would rather not say what they are. Jesus is more powerful and always with me. I don't believe that all negative things are thorns, i've noticed one of the negative voices always tries to quote that scripture when i try to get rid of things, just chip away and know that freedom is possible. You may win some battles and lose some. Pace yourself and know you don't have to be rid of everything right away but just chip away, be the annoyance in the lives of those things that try to annoy you, and in the end with Jesus be victoriously more annoying in the end.
The reason I have come to this conclusion is mainly due to the way He has caused me to abound in other areas, and I'm guessing these are there to balance that out maybe, etc...

But, yeah, if other people fully knew, or could even fully comprehend, etc, I don't think very many could handle it in their life, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the lessons I learned was that I didn't need to know if intrusive feelings were spiritual or not - because His authority is over every realm - spiritual, physical, mental - His word is supreme regardless of the source.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
One of the lessons I learned was that I didn't need to know if intrusive feelings were spiritual or not - because His authority is over every realm - spiritual, physical, mental - His word is supreme regardless of the source.
I am having trouble with intrusive words, that are coming from anything and everything that is outside of me, so I do not think you understand, etc...

And beyond that, sights and sounds on the outside of me that are also meant to communicate something to me sometimes also, so I do not think you understand, etc...

And it is very offensive to me if you think you do or can understand, etc, or think that it's something that I should just be magically delivered from if I am a true Christian, etc, because then, you most definitely do not understand, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am having trouble with intrusive words, that are coming from anything and everything that is outside of me, so I do not think you understand, etc...

And beyond that, sights and sounds on the outside of me that are also meant to communicate something to me sometimes also, so I do not think you understand, etc...

And it is very offensive to me if you think you do or can understand, etc, or think that it's something that I should just be magically delivered from if I am a true Christian, etc, because then, you most definitely do not understand, etc...

God Bless!
Friend - I had acute paranoia, voices, physically running away from spiritual oppression.

Also it has nothing to do with being a true Christian - I had fallen away from the faith. I was restored by His mercy alone.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Friend - I had acute paranoia, voices, physically running away from spiritual oppression.

Also it has nothing to do with being a true Christian - I had fallen away from the faith. I was restored by His mercy alone.
So anyone else who still has the same or similar problems has fallen away from the faith and that is the reason for them still having current problems...?

You'd be very wise not to presume anything in anyone else's case just because of your own, etc...

Because that is what I am finding the most offensive right now, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So anyone else who still has the same or similar problems has fallen away from the faith and that is the reason for them still having current problems...?

You'd be very wise not to presume anything in anyone else's case just because of your own, etc...

Because that is what I am finding the most offensive right now, etc...

God Bless!
The answer to your question is absolutely not...

I have not presumed anything.

I have walked on a journey and learned on the way.

If I share some of what I have learned, and you are offended, that is for you to process.

I have met very few who have made the journey out and marvel at why me...

I am eternally grateful.

Mind you this was in the 70's when a fresh breath of God was blowing and many were gifted in discernment and deliverance.

He told me to get as much prayer as possible to accelerate the process.

I am not sure why I need to apologise for faithfully testifying to what He has done.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The answer to your question is absolutely not...

I have not presumed anything.

I have walked on a journey and learned on the way.

If I share some of what I have learned, and you are offended, that is for you to process.

I have met very few who have made the journey out and marvel at why me...

I am eternally grateful.

Mind you this was in the 70's when a fresh breath of God was blowing and many were gifted in discernment and deliverance.

He told me to get as much prayer as possible to accelerate the process.

I am not sure why I need to apologise for faithfully testifying to what He has done.
Just be careful in and with everyone and everything you might secretly judge, ok...

Especially based on just your own experience, ok...

Be Blessed.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks N777,

When the word got around that I was 'very sick' in hospital, folks started praying and I was unexpectedly discharged instead of having
another six months of ECT.

Deep inside I knew the answer was to return to my Christian roots. This must have been the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.

So I took off up country with the one intent to find Him again.

On the wharf at Collingwood it was as if He picked me up, gave me a shake and said in no uncertain terms 'these are the rails - stay on them'

I knew it was a last chance encounter and from then my whole life focussed on that one thing - to be obedient whatever the cost, and base my view of life on the Bible.

Healing came over a seven year period - bondage from drugs, lyrics of songs, occult, infidelity, was dealt with and has not returned after nearly 50 years.

Personally I think that if I hadn't committed my life to Jesus earlier in life at 13, I would not have survived.

This combined with a praying mother and grandmother who both lived to nearly 100 loving Jesus big time.

Other friends I had on a similar path died young.

So I do not count anything to myself so have no place to judge.

I also do not judge what He can and cant do which is the underlying premise of this thread.

His ways are past finding out.

Love you.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks N777,

When the word got around that I was 'very sick' in hospital, folks started praying and I was unexpectedly discharged instead of having
another six months of ECT.

Deep inside I knew the answer was to return to my Christian roots. This must have been the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.

So I took off up country with the one intent to find Him again.

On the wharf at Collingwood it was as if He picked me up, gave me a shake and said in no uncertain terms 'these are the rails - stay on them'

I knew it was a last chance encounter and from then my whole life focussed on that one thing - to be obedient whatever the cost, and base my view of life on the Bible.

Healing came over a seven year period - bondage from drugs, lyrics of songs, occult, infidelity, was dealt with and has not returned after nearly 50 years.

Personally I think that if I hadn't committed my life to Jesus earlier in life at 13, I would not have survived.

This combined with a praying mother and grandmother who both lived to nearly 100 loving Jesus big time.

Other friends I had on a similar path died young.

So I do not count anything to myself so have no place to judge.

I also do not judge what He can and cant do which is the underlying premise of this thread.

His ways are past finding out.

Love you.
Very glad for you brother, that was a lot to overcome, sorry if I misjudged you while speaking about judging myself, guess it's something we all have to watch out for, I apologize, etc...

I would love to be perfectly obedient always, but I also want it to be genuine also, and not just trade it in for other sins, if you know what I mean, etc...

Anyway, please don't give up giving people your testimony or trying to help people on my account, because that is not at all what I meant, etc, ok...

Always keep doing that, ok...

God Bless You @Carl Emerson !

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bless you too N777.

I was asked to pray for a boy who was having Grand Mal seizures.

The parents contacted me 18 years later to let me know that from that day he was completely set free and never had a relapse.

Just wanting to keep the record straight that Jesus can deal with any infirmity.

• Love
Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Glory UNTO THE MOST HIGH GOD

Upvote 0