There is 'Great Suffering', and 'Nominal Suffering' - God won't deal with all suffering at once

I can handle..

• ...a little bit of suffering

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ...a lot of suffering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...Great suffering

• ...Nominal suffering

• ...Nominal suffering, then a lot

• ...Great suffering, then a little

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there!

So I hit upon a truth, that might shed some light on what we mean, by "suffering":
There is 'Great Suffering' and there is 'Nominal Suffering' - God does not deal with all suffering at once (selah)
The point is that Great Suffering is intense and primary, you can't necessarily do something about it - but when you do, it is a great relief. This is like the quandary of the soul - what to do with it - in the sense that if we do not do something about the soul (for eternity) our suffering will be "Great" because it will never end. If you can do something about the soul, it should be your number one priority, in no small part because of the suffering that it will end. But Great suffering is not alone.

The confusion we face, when it comes to suffering, is that some of it is "Nominal" - it does not destroy us, immediately; it does not wear us down speedily. There is the suffering of forgetting where your keys are, or whether you like someone more than a friend, or what channel you should trust for the news - all these things are suffering, but they are "Nominal", they do not ultimately affect the course of our lives (from the perspective of the end of that life). There is a responsibility here, that we not get caught up in "Nominal" suffering, because many kinds of "Nominal" suffering can come together, in "Great" suffering - such as is the result of a life lived without God. Fortunately, in God there is more that can be said!

When it comes to God, "Great" and "Nominal" suffering are never allowed to dictate which is the most important, or why. "Great" can become "Nominal" and "Nominal" can become "Great" - it is up to us, to trust God, foremost that our souls are delivered, but ultimately that our lives also, are delivered - for what is the soul without a life to live it with? This is God's strength, by dividing and conquering suffering, God is able to draw us out of it - to give us a foundation, with which to resist suffering - "Great" or "Nominal", but also more and more "Nominal", while less and less "Great". God loves this.

The truth is, we still need to repent: even if we understand this distinction - but we know that in the Holy Spirit, we have reason to completely trust, that even that won't continue unbearably. God will continue to deliver us, until we see the difference: from there it is a matter of His Good Spirit, to keep it going that way. Power to God! Suffering was conquered on the Cross and now we are able to take up the sword against it (the sword of the Word) - we can see "yes, this suffering is Great: God will do something about it", we can say "yes, this suffering is Nominal: God will empower me to do something about it". In all things give thanks, not least because that is a great way to overcome.

Not to continue, at length, I hope this makes things clear for you - the Holy Spirit is able to give many gifts to those that discern what their faith should initially be, how it should remain composed (and suffering is a part of that).

Enjoy God's Grace!

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟40,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.
Suffering is the fear-based story of not coping with the pain or outcome.

Pain is a biological response to body stress, injury or damage. If the mind is aware of the stress, a self-fabricated story of coping with the stress arises. If one believes the story of not coping with the stress, then suffering will be experienced, of even greater stress/fear.

• Agree
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Pain is a biological response to body stress, injury or damage. If the mind is aware of the stress, a self-fabricated story of coping with the stress arises. If one believes the story of not coping with the stress, then suffering will be experienced, of even greater stress/fear.
So Christ didn't suffer?

If one can't sleep for the toothache, and all that is on their mind is the pain, they are not suffering?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic

I think the point I was trying to make, was that suffering is a choice between greater or lesser intensities.

But you are right, the mind determines which suffering we would like to diminish first (in principle).

I think if we are mindful of this, when we meditate, that it will become a lot clearer.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
So Christ didn't suffer?

If one can't sleep for the toothache, and all that is on their mind is the pain, they are not suffering?

Yes but the point is that even though the toothache is great, we want it to be nominal.

We don't just want the tooth to disappear, if possible (but the ache in the tooth).

This ties in with redemption, I think: the Holy Spirit discerns what is not right in us and removes the obstacle (in faith), by dealing with the greatest suffering first.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes but the point is that even though the toothache is great, we want it to be nominal.

We don't just want the tooth to disappear, if possible (but the ache in the tooth).

This ties in with redemption, I think: the Holy Spirit discerns what is not right in us and removes the obstacle (in faith), by dealing with the greatest suffering first.
You and I seem to be talking two different languages, lol. Oh well...

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟40,965.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Christ didn't suffer?

Jesus Christ knew that though he had a body he was not the body. He knew he would experience pain but didn't buy into it.

Jesus Christ knew he was the Son of God, a light bearer.
John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Jesus Christ was unconditionally okay to transform his body into light. At his time of death, he was unconditionally okay to go into great darkness. Only light-bearers can truly go into dark places.

1 Peter 3:19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits

Revelation 1:18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Mark 15:39 And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!”

Upvote 0