There is a hell. Hell is real. And many people go there...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SCRIPTURES & ART: Heaven will always be heaven and hell will always be hell because one place is full of love and the other devoid of it.

Today’s Gospel is the Parable of Lazarus (or Dives) and the rich man. The parable is about two people: a rich man and a poor man. The rich man “dressed in purple garments” (a sign of wealth) and “dined sumptuously.” The poor man dressed in rags and lived on the verge of starvation, hoping for “scraps.” The rich man was apparently healthy. The poor man was covered in sores licked by dogs.

And they lived side-by-side. The poor man “was lying” at the rich man’s door.

We’re told nothing of their encounters, whether the rich man actively tried to drive this “bum” away or was too taken up with his meals to even notice.

All we know is that the great equalizer that notices everyman — death — arrives for both of them. Their eternal fate is the Gospel’s focus.

Continued below.
26th Sunday in Ordinary Time – There Is a Hell

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SCRIPTURES & ART: Heaven will always be heaven and hell will always be hell because one place is full of love and the other devoid of it.

Today’s Gospel is the Parable of Lazarus (or Dives) and the rich man. The parable is about two people: a rich man and a poor man. The rich man “dressed in purple garments” (a sign of wealth) and “dined sumptuously.” The poor man dressed in rags and lived on the verge of starvation, hoping for “scraps.” The rich man was apparently healthy. The poor man was covered in sores licked by dogs.

And they lived side-by-side. The poor man “was lying” at the rich man’s door.

We’re told nothing of their encounters, whether the rich man actively tried to drive this “bum” away or was too taken up with his meals to even notice.

All we know is that the great equalizer that notices everyman — death — arrives for both of them. Their eternal fate is the Gospel’s focus.

Continued below.
26th Sunday in Ordinary Time – There Is a Hell
:crossrc: I offer up Mass for sinners and any enemies.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wish we would start getting this right. If you check out the Latin Bible, there are two words that are significant on this matter: hell and Gehenna. Hell is always referred to by Jesus as the place of the dead. It is the same as Hades in Greek and Sheol in Hebrew. It is where Jesus went to to preach to the captives.

Gehenna is the word always used to refer to the place of the damn. Gehenna is where the lake of fire is located. It is where suffering and despair is located.

For whatever reason, English bibles decided to translate Inferno and Gehenna as hell. I think it can confuse one what each of these are. Jesus did not go to the place of the damn to preach to the captives for example.

Upvote 0