Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As many times as I think I turn to Christ and surrender, I also doubt I'm really surrendered to Him. Here is an email which I just sent to a Christian friend:

I mentioned yesterday about Jesus saying "I never knew you...." You mentioned you thought that was for people who boast in their spiritual accomplishments. But I'm also wondering if it isn't also for some other people who think they are saved when they are not.

One of the things I contemplate is Jesus' statement, "Whoever of you does not relinquish all that he has cannot be My disciple." I know that not all disciples are called to literally, physically give up their goods, etc. But one has to give it all up in one's heart. I wonder: Have I relinquished, do I relinquish, in my heart, all that I have? I'm not so sure on that issue.

And there are other considerations that I am similarly not sure where I really stand. Like, 'if you do not hate your [family and friends] and even your own life, you are not worthy of me.' Again, I do not understand that to mean literal hate, but it means that your devotion to Jesus stands tall above them all. I wonder about if my devotion to Jesus matches that requirement, or are am I valuing some personal relationships above my relationship with Him? Am I valuing my own life above Him?

These and other considerations cause me to be not totally sure which side of the fence I am actually on.

Bob

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As many times as I think I turn to Christ and surrender, I also doubt I'm really surrendered to Him. Here is an email which I just sent to a Christian friend:

I mentioned yesterday about Jesus saying "I never knew you...." You mentioned you thought that was for people who boast in their spiritual accomplishments. But I'm also wondering if it isn't also for some other people who think they are saved when they are not.

One of the things I contemplate is Jesus' statement, "Whoever of you does not relinquish all that he has cannot be My disciple." I know that not all disciples are called to literally, physically give up their goods, etc. But one has to give it all up in one's heart. I wonder: Have I relinquished, do I relinquish, in my heart, all that I have? I'm not so sure on that issue.

And there are other considerations that I am similarly not sure where I really stand. Like, 'if you do not hate your [family and friends] and even your own life, you are not worthy of me.' Again, I do not understand that to mean literal hate, but it means that your devotion to Jesus stands tall above them all. I wonder about if my devotion to Jesus matches that requirement, or are am I valuing some personal relationships above my relationship with Him? Am I valuing my own life above Him?

These and other considerations cause me to be not totally sure which side of the fence I am actually on.

Bob
Bob, make a stand. All God needs is your willingness. He will do the rest. Let Jesus be your obedience, consecration, humility and all the things that you know you lack. Let Him be your faith, your love for God (which is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit) and your everything else.

Perhaps this article will help: Are you absolutely sure you are born again? - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As many times as I think I turn to Christ and surrender, I also doubt I'm really surrendered to Him.
Know whether one is saved or not can be difficult.
There are two ways of self examination. Look for the negative or look for the positive.

How do you view Jesus?
How do you live each day, is obeying Jesus important to you?
Is church attendance important to you, Christians usually want to meet with other Christians.

You basically have a choice to live for Jesus as a Christian, regardles of whether you are or not.
Or to reject Christianity and do your own thing.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think if you talk to him, and bear fruit it’s solid assurance. John 15 says if you remain in the vine you will bear much fruit! Remember the fCt that you desire closeness with Christ is a good indicator you are not dead in sin. Most unbelievers don’t desire this. Keep praying friend !!

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bob

To be born again is a daily process, sure it begins at one stage, but it continues throughout our lives with Jesus. It is a constant dying to self, a constant denying oneself for Him.

i realised i fall sort daily. Yet i saw the Holy Spirit working faith in Jesus in my heart. Faith that He died for me, faith that He paid my price. Faith that even when i'm faithless He will be faithful still.

Battling my sins convinced me of Jesus' genuineness. He rescues us from even very stubborn sin and taught me what it means to walk humbly before God like He did.

This faith brought me more love and admiration for Jesus as my Saviour. For i realised each time my choice was His i would grow a little more in His Kingdom. A Kingdom where i may rule beside Him over my life. Jesus is an awesome King of the heart. His loving truth sets us free from doubt, guilt and shame and brings love admiration and awe into our lives for Him instead.

Search for Him within. He lives in your heart when you love God and neighbour. So make that your goal. To love God The Father and people like Jesus did and find Him dwelling within you the Living Word to be. Guiding you into life eternal.

Peace.

Reactions: AjT
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
mentioned yesterday about Jesus saying "I never knew you...." You mentioned you thought that was for people who boast in their spiritual accomplishments. But I'm also wondering if it isn't also for some other people who think they are saved when they are not.
Jesus gave the specific reason why he said he never knew them. When Jesus supplies the reason, we do not need to look for any other reason. He stated - because they practiced lawlessness or habitual sin. Habitual sin is sin not repented of, obviously one has not genuinely repented of sin that one keeps on doing. Jesus only knows his sheep who hear and follow Him (Jn 10:27).

It's good that you ask yourself that question. We all need to ask ourselves that question as we cannot follow Him unless we take an honest look at ourselves in the mirror from time to time.

Another good question for self-introspection. Sounds like you're on the right track.

May I suggest you carefully read 1 John? It contains many verses about our assurance and how we can know if we are truly abiding in Him.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Keep in your mind our goal is glorification ( perfection) but sanctification ( becoming more like Jesus) is a life long process. Your doubts are part of the very process of sanctification but you are not perfected yet. That's expected, just live life going in the right direction, towards Jesus and not away from Him. Pray to Him not just about Him and He will know you because you responded to the Spirit working in you rather than of your own accord in His name.

It's not just that He "never knew you" in those verses but you never knew Him !!

Reactions: AjT
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah (The unique only begotten Son of God) from the Tanakh prophecies. If so have you ever trusted in Jesus (The Messiah) for His free gift of His Eternal Life.

If you have, then then you have Eternal Life, never to lose it. You have crossed over from Adams spiritual death to being born again in Christ spiritual birth (The second birth).

There is no amount of works or following exactly in Christ that will make this any truer.

If you need more study material, here is a book(s) that may help.

Beyond Doubt: How to Be Sure of Your Salvation – Grace Evangelical Society

Confident in Christ, 2nd Edition – Grace Evangelical Society

Secure and Sure – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Romansthruphilemon

Feb 6, 2017
Concord, NH
✟59,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Bob
I sent you a pm.

Upvote 0