Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There’s a movement to undermine Catholic morality – Communion is just the start

Modern-day Pharisees are trying to get round the Church's teaching on objective right and wrong. Their next target? Humanae Vitae

More
Source:
Catholic Herald - 5 Jan 2018

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
its an interesting article and I agree moral relativism is a enemy of truth. When I considered the levels of teaching presented over time I cannot understand how a body of supposedly celibate men in fancy robes can make authoritative choices on marriage in that the scriptural requirements for bishops and elders is to be the husband of one wife and have his family in order. This body making rules is a contradiction of what the Bible says about leadership. If the tradition contradicts the scriptures perhaps the tradition needs to be rethought. Paul did say it is better for a single man to remain single in one place but when you hear his testimony about being jailed, shipwrecked, scourged, beaten and stoned that is not a good environment to b ring a wife into. More over the Genesis statement on Adam it is not good for man to be alone is still the prime directive for most and should not be considered a barrier to serving the LORD in leadership of the church. Peter had a mother in law and the Levitical model were also married men. This may be a bit of a detour to the topic but is relevant in that it demonstrates how a clear teaching in scripture can be lost or contradicted later. The moral relativism path does much the same thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
its an interesting article and I agree moral relativism is a enemy of truth. When I considered the levels of teaching presented over time I cannot understand how a body of supposedly celibate men in fancy robes can make authoritative choices on marriage in that the scriptural requirements for bishops and elders is to be the husband of one wife and have his family in order. This body making rules is a contradiction of what the Bible says about leadership. If the tradition contradicts the scriptures perhaps the tradition needs to be rethought. Paul did say it is better for a single man to remain single in one place but when you hear his testimony about being jailed, shipwrecked, scourged, beaten and stoned that is not a good environment to b ring a wife into. More over the Genesis statement on Adam it is not good for man to be alone is still the prime directive for most and should not be considered a barrier to serving the LORD in leadership of the church. Peter had a mother in law and the Levitical model were also married men. This may be a bit of a detour to the topic but is relevant in that it demonstrates how a clear teaching in scripture can be lost or contradicted later. The moral relativism path does much the same thing.
I think it was pretty bold of Jesus too, because he was a supposedly celibate man as well. He spoke a bit too much about marriage and divorce and the like considering he was not the husband of one wife. He didn't follow the Levitical model very well.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We shall see if Humanae Vitae is 'reinterpreted' into oblivion. I almost expect there to be another papal document this year that makes things clear as mud about contraception. Not looking forward to it at all.
There is now a pattern.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is now a pattern.
There does seem to be one. Which is why I would not be surprised at all if there is a new document which claims to be an update of Humanae Vitae but has serious ambiguities in it that many people will use to justify the opposite of Catholic teaching on contraception. A few bishops conferences will latch onto it and unimplement Humanae Vitae. But, you know, it's not like they were terribly faithful up to now to the clear teaching of Humanae Vitae.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it was pretty bold of Jesus too, because he was a supposedly celibate man as well. He spoke a bit too much about marriage and divorce and the like considering he was not the husband of one wife. He didn't follow the Levitical model very well.
Are you saying the bishops and priests have the same knowledge as the creator of marriage does?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Are you saying the bishops and priests have the same knowledge as the creator of marriage does?
I am saying that bishops and priests can have some knowledge about marriage and should not be ruled out because they are celibate. If you want to rule them out because they are celibate you rule out Jesus and Paul as well. John Paul II knew quite a bit about marriage and sexuality even while he was a celibate man. Discard his witness at your own risk.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I would not be surprised at all if there is a new document which claims to be an update of Humanae Vitae but has serious ambiguities in it that many people will use to justify the opposite of Catholic teaching on contraception.
This post is not to be misconstrued as challenging Humanae Vitae. When I was married, we used NFP.

There surely will be a new encyclical "updating" Humanae Vitae. The original document was never infallible -- the Pope himself stated as much, which opens many of its ideas to revision.

For example, I predict it will be argued that it makes no sense for Catholics to use Natural Birth Control but not Artificial Birth Control if used for the same reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He Jesus is the high priest according to the order of Melchizedek and he is the one who created man in Gods image and noted that it is not good for man to be alone. The scriptures about married men in leadership are important as all scripture is inspired by God. So when the requirements of Bishop and elder were given they are God breathed and now tradition contradicts these teachings. Jesus has authority to speak on marriage as a non married person as he is creator and his being celibate is not significant nor is it establishing that those who follow were to be either.

• Agree
Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
and he is the one who created man in Gods image and noted that it is not good for man to be alone.
it is not good for man to be alone
but what man is alone?
in the context, God said this when there was literally only one human on the entire earth

The scriptures about married men in leadership are important as all scripture is inspired by God. So when the requirements of Bishop and elder were given they are God breathed and now tradition contradicts these teachings
it does not contradict the scripture
how many wives did Jacob have, how many did Solomon have?
at the time of Jesus how many Jewish leaders had divorced their wives and taken a second wife?
saying a "husband of one wife" is not saying only married men can be elders, it is saying that no one with MORE then one wife can be an elder

now there are married priests, in the Eastern Churches, but in the Latin Church it has been a long tradition to only have a celibate priests
Jesus has authority to speak on marriage as a non married person as he is creator and his being celibate is not significant nor is it establishing that those who follow were to be either.
and Bishops have the authority to speak on church discipline because Jesus Christ, who the King of Kings and Lord of all Creation, has given them the authority to bind and loose

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He Jesus is the high priest according to the order of Melchizedek and he is the one who created man in Gods image and noted that it is not good for man to be alone. The scriptures about married men in leadership are important as all scripture is inspired by God. So when the requirements of Bishop and elder were given they are God breathed and now tradition contradicts these teachings. Jesus has authority to speak on marriage as a non married person as he is creator and his being celibate is not significant nor is it establishing that those who follow were to be either.
Was Paul being celibate insignificant as well? Should he have been banned from leadership? Was every apostle married? Point is that the requirement is for men who have not been married multiple times. No contradiction between Bible and tradition on this at all. Unless you can say Paul should not have been in any form of Christian leadership AND you can prove that all the apostles were married.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
it is not good for man to be alone
but what man is alone?
in the context, God said this when there was literally only one human on the entire earth

it does not contradict the scripture
how many wives did Jacob have, how many did Solomon have?
at the time of Jesus how many Jewish leaders had divorced their wives and taken a second wife?
saying a "husband of one wife" is not saying only married men can be elders, it is saying that no one with MORE then one wife can be an elder

now there are married priests, in the Eastern Churches, but in the Latin Church it has been a long tradition to only have a celibate priests

and Bishops have the authority to speak on church discipline because Jesus Christ, who the King of Kings and Lord of all Creation, has given them the authority to bind and loose[/QUOTE
I did not say unmarried men cannot be bishops or elders what I am pointing out it the scriptures clearly indicate that married men can hold these offices and it would seem to be the norm. The Roman tradition now is unmarried men only. The struggles within the polygamous OT couples is recorded and their is not a single example of that working out. I agree with you in that regard and concur many divorced their wives unjustly and were disqualified for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
God holds DIVINE Tradition and Holy Scripture as both being HIS DIVINE Revelation; this is the Catholic religion that knows that BOTH are the Word of God; as St Paul attests: "Hold fast to the TRADITIONS you have received from us, whether by WORD or EPISTLE." :)

Upvote 0