• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Therapist Chat

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Today I went to see my therapist and we talked about my recent drama regarding choosing a faith. That led into a discussion about my plans for when I am forty years old and according to my therapist, my plans were very practical yet I was ignoring the emotional aspect of my aspirations. We did some more digging and it appears that I'm afraid of feeling my feelings. It's true, too. Instead of letting myself feel things, I instead get very logical to avoid my feelings. The reason for this is because feelings hinder you when you're trying to survive something, and I've had to survive a lot of things. My therapist tells me that this was adaptive at one point, but now this has become maladaptive and I need to start working on feeling my emotions again. This may mean adjusting my medication as well, but yeah... I feel like today's session was productive. We came up with some good goals, I got to vent, and I got to have some more insight into my own psyche, which was nice.

I love therapy. It gives me someone I can talk to and gives me a place to start growing as a person. It's lovely. If you're not currently in therapy, I would give it a try at least for a few sessions. You never know, it could help you with a problem you didn't even know you had!

Reactions: Sarcoline

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Today I went to see my therapist and we talked about my recent drama regarding choosing a faith. That led into a discussion about my plans for when I am forty years old and according to my therapist, my plans were very practical yet I was ignoring the emotional aspect of my aspirations. We did some more digging and it appears that I'm afraid of feeling my feelings. It's true, too. Instead of letting myself feel things, I instead get very logical to avoid my feelings. The reason for this is because feelings hinder you when you're trying to survive something, and I've had to survive a lot of things. My therapist tells me that this was adaptive at one point, but now this has become maladaptive and I need to start working on feeling my emotions again. This may mean adjusting my medication as well, but yeah... I feel like today's session was productive. We came up with some good goals, I got to vent, and I got to have some more insight into my own psyche, which was nice.

I love therapy. It gives me someone I can talk to and gives me a place to start growing as a person. It's lovely. If you're not currently in therapy, I would give it a try at least for a few sessions. You never know, it could help you with a problem you didn't even know you had!
I am glad you are having a good experience in your therapy sessions. I will pray that Jesus continues to bless your therapy sessions. God bless you.

Upvote 0