Theosis: The True Purpose of Human Life (Video)

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

https://www.youtube.com/c/OrthodoxWisdom/videos

This short treatise clearly and powerfully explains the true purpose of each and every human being: union with God, or Theosis. Fr. George (Kapsanis), former Abbot of the St. Gregorios Monastery on Mount Athos who reposed in the Lord on Pentecost 2014, presents the Orthodox understanding of Theosis and the essential path towards receiving this divine gift.

Part I/II - This short treatise clearly and powerfully explains the true purpose of each and every human being: union with God, or Theosis. Fr. George (Kapsanis), former Abbot of the St. Gregorios Monastery on Mount Athos who reposed in the Lord on Pentecost 2014, presents the Orthodox understanding of Theosis and the essential path towards receiving this divine gift of God.

In part I, he explains what Theosis is and how it is the aim of our life, examines the role of the Incarnation and the Theotokos in Theosis, and summarizes the importance of St. Gregory Palamas, the essence and energies distinction, and his affirmation of the true Orthodox teaching against the heresies of the Roman Catholics, Protestants, and non-Christian traditions. This is presented in a way that Orthodox Christians, Catechumens, and inquirers will be able to understand and respond in faith to God.

In part II, he focuses on the practical matters of Theosis, what is required for attaining it, and what keeps us lost in sin. Following the advice of this spiritual father, who merely transmits the teaching of the Holy Fathers before him, will lead to a life worthy of being called successful: eternal union with God.

“If man cannot be deified with divine Grace and divine energies what purpose does his life have? Only that he becomes morally better. But moral perfection is not enough for man. It is not enough for us simply to become better than before, simply to perform moral deeds. We have as our final aim to unite with holy God Himself.”

- Fr. George of Mount Athos

Last edited:

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
theosis can be found as early as St Clement of Rome.

I have been reading the Fathers on Theosis, in a book by J B Galloway called 'A study of Holiness from the early Church Fathers' which starts with St Clement but of course goes back to the Apostles.

He was tracing the teaching that John Wesley was famous for and which he clearly found in the Fathers, but which he called it entire sanctification. Wesley did not however see the fullness of the OC understanding which is along the lines of the Triplex Via where for Wesley there were two stages.

I am seeking for those in the OC who have received the blessing themselves for guidance or a name I can contact.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been reading the Fathers on Theosis, in a book by J B Galloway called 'A study of Holiness from the early Church Fathers' which starts with St Clement but of course goes back to the Apostles.

He was tracing the teaching that John Wesley was famous for and which he clearly found in the Fathers, but which he called it entire sanctification. Wesley did not however see the fullness of the OC understanding which is along the lines of the Triplex Via where for Wesley there were two stages.

I am seeking for those in the OC who have received the blessing themselves for guidance or a name I can contact.

what do you need the name for?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father forgive me but why are you acting cagey? I thought it was clear what l am searching for, or is it not? I have heard that there are few today in the blessing that is why l am asking.

I am not trying to be cagey, I just thought that your statement was vague, so I asked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A good way on. Have been stopped from church attendance since the lockdown and am unsure about the situation as the priest seems to be ecumenist and I am not. But I have left Protestantism well behind. Have done a lot of reading, courses and have attended some Divine Liturgies. I know EO is the true church and will spend the rest of my life, what is left of it, as a hermit if I cannot move to a better situation.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A good way on. Have been stopped from church attendance since the lockdown and am unsure about the situation as the priest seems to be ecumenist and I am not. But I have left Protestantism well behind. Have done a lot of reading, courses and have attended some Divine Liturgies. I know EO is the true church and will spend the rest of my life, what is left of it, as a hermit if I cannot move to a better situation.

well, since you are in Great Britain, check out the Monastery in Essex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟216,868.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I want to find a priest who has entered Theosis for advice, as one who has not received the blessing, is not in a position to guide others, as he himself has failed to gain the victory over his passions.

Your desire to find someone spiritually advanced to guide you is a good thing. Just be careful that in searching for someone good enough to learn from you don't miss what God has put in your path. Theosis isn't so much a thing a person has, as a process we are in. Take father Matt's advice. If you have a monastery anywhere near you, take advantage of it. I pray that you will find a way to fellowship and grow in these difficult times.

Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your desire to find someone spiritually advanced to guide you is a good thing. Just be careful that in searching for someone good enough to learn from you don't miss what God has put in your path. Theosis isn't so much a thing a person has, as a process we are in. Take father Matt's advice. If you have a monastery anywhere near you, take advantage of it. I pray that you will find a way to fellowship and grow in these difficult times.

Thank you for your advice. I know that today, the teaching is popular that Theosis is a process, however, in more enlightened times, it was actually a stage one entered into, as also was the earlier two stages. A time of preparation or process, but then a definite entering in, when man is restored to the state he was created for, not a seeking for union with God and hearing His voice, but having it in reality. To be a saint or to be holy in actuality.

I do not have a monastery anywhere near to me I am afraid and with new lockdown and what things look like they are leading to, it does not seem to be possible but God is the God of the impossible.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can someone please show me those passages?

I know that Jesus quoted the Psalms and stated, “Ye are gods” but how does that verse support the doctrine of theosis? According to that verse it doesn’t seem like any sort of process is needed in order to become a god.

well, look at Moses and what happened to him after his experiences on the mountain.

Upvote 0