Connecticut, USA
Visit site
✟8,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is my logic, tell me if you agree.

I do not believe my god sat around doing nothing for millions of years. I do honestly beleive that god toyed around with our planet, among others.

Were there dinsaurs? Of course. It cant be argued. We have hundreds of fossils and skeletons to prove the fact.

What happened? This cant be explained. There are many great scientific theories, but really those are just educated guesses. All we know for sure, is something very devistating happened on this planet. Something so big, it whiped out every dinosaur on the planet. GONE. Earth still in tact, life still grew, yet they all became dirt.

Metorite? If a meteor big enough to cause such damage to the earth was to happen, it would have whiped out the entire planet. It may have even caused great damage to our entire solar system. It would only take a slight sudden shift of our earths position to do such a thing.

Plaque? Maybe. But why are there so many other species that did survive? Only god can controll something like that.

God got bored with dinosaurs, he wanted something he can have an intimate relationship with.

I know our bible says 7 days. But before those seven days do you think we twirled his thumbs? I do not. I think it is very possible that god played around a little. To find his perfect image. This may support the theory of evolution.

Thoughts?

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Plaque killed the dinosaurs? Well they didn't have toothbrushes or floss, and I imagine it would be hard to eat if all your teeth fell out...so it's a possibility. ;) :p Sorry. I had to give you a hard time.
Seriously though the possibility dinosaurs coexisted with man is out of the question? And if God fiddled to find his perfect image if you will then doesn't that negate his omniscience...his all knowing?
Just some thoughts,
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Carey

Contributor
Aug 17, 2006
Texas
✟25,839.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
not sure about the coexistence or our methods "theory" that carbondating is accurate either.
Either the whole Genesis six days is not literal or our science has some major problems.
The later makes sense but the theory of the six days being different in God sperseption than ours is easier to swallow

Upvote 0

Wadsworth

Aug 16, 2006
✟7,850.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Metorite? If a meteor big enough to cause such damage to the earth was to happen, it would have whiped out the entire planet. It may have even caused great damage to our entire solar system. It would only take a slight sudden shift of our earths position to do such a thing.

The impactor would not have to be very large, and it actually has happened many times. One just hit Jupiter a couple of years ago. Shoemaker-Levy. It impacted with around 42 kilometers worth of mass (21 fragments on average of 2 kilometers each). Any number of these would have caused damage comparable to what knocked out the dinosaurs.

Earth gets hit by large comets etc on average every 100 million years. Each time this happens 50-90% of all life forms on earth are destroyed. This is shown through surface rock samples taken all around the world. They show areas teaming with life and then a line of some catastrophic event about every 100 million years where, depending on severity, life gets literally annialated. It then rebuilds itself becoming lush once again. These samples match up all around the world proving that the events are indeed not local. There are many craters from these impactors all over the place. By the way, these objects are not large enough to cause significant damage to earth’s structure, and certainly not to the solar system.

There are Trillions of these objects in our solar system, BUT earth and the other planets spent the first couple hundred million years of their lives clearing out all of the impactors that normally cross their paths.

Meteorites are FACT. They hit every day. One very large one hit about 100 years ago in Tunguska, Siberia.

Our solar system, and our world is a very dynamic system.. In every sense.
I don't know if 100 million or 1 or ever a trillion trillion years is of any significant difference for the Lord.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't take a very big asteroid to wipe out the planet. The KT asteroid would have been about 10 km wide. At the speed it's hitting the planet, it would have created the energy equivalent to hundreds of millions of times the power of the largest nuclear explosion in history.

It would not have affected the solar system. It would take something far larger to knock the Earth out of orbit.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Plaque killed the dinosaurs? Well they didn't have toothbrushes or floss, and I imagine it would be hard to eat if all your teeth fell out...so it's a possibility. ;) :p Sorry. I had to give you a hard time.
Seriously though the possibility dinosaurs coexisted with man is out of the question? And if God fiddled to find his perfect image if you will then doesn't that negate his omniscience...his all knowing?
Just some thoughts,
Slainte!
Eruliel
Unless you're proposing that humans walked the Earth 65+ million years ago, they didn't walk around with dinosaurs.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do not believe my god sat around doing nothing for millions of years.

First of all, time did not always exist, God created time. In fact, God created everything. The Scriptures describe God as having always existed and having brought everything there is into existance.

In my best understanding of these things, that would mean there was a time when there was only God. I would still not say, though, that He must have been "sitting around doing nothing," at that time.

I would also be a lot more particular with my terminology than to say things like God was "toying around."

I don't know if you realized it, but you made it sound as if God was experiementing and had no foreknowledge of the end result of His actions.

But before those seven days do you think we twirled his thumbs?

Why does the Earth need to exist in order for God to be working? :confused:

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is my logic, tell me if you agree.

I do not believe my god sat around doing nothing for millions of years. I do honestly beleive that god toyed around with our planet, among others.

God is atemporal (meaning that He exists outside of time) so there is no sitting around doing nothing for God...

From God's perspective, the entire history of the temporal universe is still present and real. The culmination and purpose of creation is very real from that perspective as well when God becomes all in all at the restoration of all things...

It's all a matter of perspective ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know our bible says 7 days. But before those seven days do you think we twirled his thumbs? I do not. I think it is very possible that god played around a little. To find his perfect image. This may support the theory of evolution.

Thoughts?

These are actually some good questions to ask.

"If evolution is true, what the heck was the point of those 13 billion years prior to mankind?" asks the creationist. This betrays a very anthropocentric perspective.

There are innumerable galaxies billions of light-years from the earth; each of these galaxies contain millions of stars, planets, etc. Humanity will never visit these places, never set foot on any of these planets. So what's their point? Why did God bother making these distant, forever out-of-reach worlds?

Well perhaps the answer is that the universe was made for God's enjoyment, not mankind's. God has pleasure in "toying" with the vast expanse of the universe. And similarly, God enjoyed himself playing with trilobites and dinosaurs for millions of years. So what if mankind will never witness a live dinosaur?

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
G

Graham4C

"never"

^^^^^^^

not neccesarily. Whats to say that with thousands of
dinosaur sightings reported in the last century that one of them isn't true.

Personaly, i prefer to think with a broad mind. I prefer to study things like evolution from all the different angles. If you look at something from one side, you may be missing something very important on the other side.

Upvote 0

Gus2009

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,346.00
Faith
Baptist

This is my favorite question. Lets roll with your argument for a second. Im going to step into your shoes, think with your logic and see the conclusion it will take us too. First off, we must assume that God must see time and interact with time as we do. God sees time in a linear fashion and interacts with it in such, just like humans. We must make this assumption as you have done yourself. Otherwise, God wouldnt have to sit around and do nothing for millions of years. He could see that everything is going well in the paleozoic and then jump ahead and see humans splitting the atom in the modern day. But no, not our god, our god has to wait for billions of years to watch his plans unfold. This is fine, perhaps a bit heretical, seeing as how God loses his omnipitence because he is constrained by one of his own creations, time. But whatever, this is the view of God we have taken. Now this begs an even deeper question. Our god we have just imagined is now constrained into the timeline, so he must have existed forever into eternity past(by his own defintion of what he is, being God and all). Now we have an even bigger problem. Not only is god sitting around for millions of years before he makes humans, but for an eternity(literally) before he makes anything at all. Now we can ask the question "Why didnt God make us sooner?" infinitely back into time. God waits an eternity before creating us. Heres where youre own line of reasoning takes us.

This is why the entire question is somewhat mute and i take a different view of God than you. I dont think time matters to God. He exists outside of it. He created it. Why have billions of years of time before humans come around. Well, to a human, thats a really long time. Perhaps He did it for this very reason. To fill us with awe and wonder and to show us just how amazing He is. When YEC's look at the history of the universe they see a God who is lying to make the universe fit their interpretation of scripture. When i see quasars at the begining of the universe and the massive amount of life that has come and gone on this planet in its history it sends chills. Thats the God i worship. He does things REALLY big.

Reactions: jereth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"never"

^^^^^^^

not neccesarily. Whats to say that with thousands of
Does that work with UFO sightings and hypnotic regression to past lives? :yum:

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps He did it for this very reason. To fill us with awe and wonder and to show us just how amazing He is. When YEC's look at the history of the universe they see a God who is lying to make the universe fit their interpretation of scripture. When i see quasars at the begining of the universe and the massive amount of life that has come and gone on this planet in its history it sends chills. Thats the God i worship. He does things REALLY big.

AMEN!

"From everlasting to everlasting, you are God" - the Psalmist

This is just my personal point of view, but if the universe is only 6K old I'd find it much harder to mentally conceive of an everlasting God. 13.7 billion years, on the other hand... now THAT's everlasting.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
AMEN!

"From everlasting to everlasting, you are God" - the Psalmist

This is just my personal point of view, but if the universe is only 6K old I'd find it much harder to mentally conceive of an everlasting God. 13.7 billion years, on the other hand... now THAT's everlasting.
Good point that I like to bring up a lot. When I go to a museum and see rocks or bones that are millions or billions of years old, I'm in awe. To look out into the universe and just even contemplate how large it is, it's baffling. A 6000 year old universe that was created in 6 days doesn't really impress me. I have fruit older than 6 days.

Reactions: Assyrian
Upvote 0
G

Graham4C

"Does that work with UFO sightings and hypnotic regression to past lives? :yum:"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You should consider that other life-forms are possible. Surely if you believe in Evolution, then you must believe that it could have happened on other planets. Alternatively, if you are a YEC, you must consider that God could have created other forms of life on other planets.

Like I said, I believe that an open mind is the best way to look at such things.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whats to say that with thousands of
"Does that work with UFO sightings and hypnotic regression to past lives? :yum:"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You should consider that other life-forms are possible. Surely if you believe in Evolution, then you must believe that it could have happened on other planets. Alternatively, if you are a YEC, you must consider that God could have created other forms of life on other planets.

Like I said, I believe that an open mind is the best way to look at such things.
It was a comment on the logical flaw in your argument.

Thousands of people claim to have been regressed to past lives under hypnosis. I am sure most of them are the result of hypnotic suggestion, but what is to say one of them isn't genuine?

Millions of people believe a horseshoe/rabbits foot/four leaf clover brings them good luck. This can be explained by simple chance and human psychology, but what is to say one of them isn't real?

If a phenomenon is inherently unlikely and a more rational explanation much more likely and frequently confirmed, then simply multiplying the number of claims does not make it likely that one of them may be genuine.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.