• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Theology, a compensation for walking with Christ?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by zoidar, Aug 14, 2019.

1. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+664
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    What do you think? Is there a danger theology can take our focus from living for Christ?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,009
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The answer is clearly yes... but that doesn't mean that study, theology, is no longer required. It means we have to learn to better balance our focus on how to walk this walk WHILE continuing to learn and grow closer to God.

3. LaBèlla

LaBèlla His little lady

+2,825
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I have never focused on theology and don’t expect that change. My relationship with God and the fulfillment of the mission He’s bestowed is my primary concern.

4. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+27,821
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I did not vote. The answer I believe is that it can. Meaning it depends on the theology. A theology focused on God's Word as Divine revelation to us will usually produce a theology which is focused on God and His attributes and words. That such theology would then have us asking "what is God communicating to us" as opposed to "how can I get my own answers from God's word." The latter is not wrong but usually is put first and why we have demon monkey heresies like Joe Osteen and the prosperity Gospel.

For me, the deeper I study the Bible and the revealed theology therein, the stronger my faith knowing how Awesome a God we have.

5. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,009
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I respect this of course but I have a question. The word "theology" has taken a life of its own and has come to mean something stuffy and religious. But the real meaning is simply the study of God (theos being God). Since the bible says to, "study to show yourselves approved" and even the Great Commission being centered in making disciples (students) then how do you reconcile what I just shared with the idea that you don't focus on theology? Is it because of how we use that word today and you do study to discern what God desires for your walk?

Just curious. :)

Blessings.
    Ken

6. LaBèlla

LaBèlla His little lady

+2,825
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    There is nothing to reconcile. I’ve spent hours in His presence for many years. Communion has deepened my faith and works. I will share a snippet of what I posted recently to illustrate my point:

I have immense faith. But I hasten to suggest that isn’t the result of gifting in addition to belief in God. I never doubt Him or question what He asks of me. I trust its for my betterment. When I pray I expect His will is done. I never worry or think He’s holding back or doubt His love or my position.

I never think about this and I’m glad you asked. I prayed for the gift of faith when I came to Christ and later on as well. This is the definition:

FAITH: 1 Cor. 12:8-10 - to be firmly persuaded of God's power and promises to accomplish His will and purpose and to display such a confidence in Him and His Word that circumstances and obstacles do not shake that conviction.

Oftentimes I use Paul’s words. I’m convinced and that surety never wanes. If I’m feeling off about a situation its me; never Him. I know the problem resides within me. In my mind, heart, or flesh.

Faith enables you to embrace His will joyfully no matter what. He’s gifted me richly. But this is the one that’s made the greatest difference.

Study didn’t produce that fruit. That is the result of an intimate relationship that’s ratified every day. I am anchored in Him. :)

PS. This is a good example of the fruits of my quiet time.

7. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,838
    Christian
    Married
    Eye on the mission.

As I say, "I'm a citizen of Heaven currently deployed to the United States to execute a mission of limited duration. When I'm finished, I'll go home."

8. LoreneDD

LoreneDD Great is Thy Faithfulness Supporter

+738
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    My own theological focus comes from reading scripture based books from thru-out the centuries. They are less distracting than when I would just read the bible. The bible would literally come alive in my hands and it got to the point where I was scared to pick it up. (chain-references especially)
    Theological focus is my time spent with God in many cases. His life gets revealed more and more as I study. But that may be because my focus is always on Him and not on dogmas and doctrine. They come in to focus in light of Him only. From that narrow reading pattern comes discussions and concepts carried thru the day in my forest walks and in interactions with others.
    At first I wanted to vote yes but a no would be more in line with my life in Christ. Theological study can be distracting if used for wrong motives I have no doubt. But as a tool to get closer to Christ I think, not.

9. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+238
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Only if it is the wrong theology.
    The right theology focuses our living for Christ.

10. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+315
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    The danger lies in the lack of theology where one can slip into heresy quite easily. In fact I would say it is a distinct lack of theology that we see so much error and heresy on CF itself

11. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Soli Deo Gloria

+2,169
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes, there is.

12. zoidar

+664
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Thanks for answers! It was interesting to read the replies. I believe we can become too stuck in theology. Of course theology is interesting and meaningful as well. I believe the Christian life is to be lived, that the focus should be on living an apostle-like life. It's not always easy, and then we may choose the pile of books instead of "living Christianity", because it's easier. That would I say is the danger.

13. Phil W

Phil W Well-Known Member

+238
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Sort of a "much learning doth make thee mad" syndrome?
    If the theology is of God, we can only grow in grace and knowledge, but if the theology is of the devil, it will lead men further and further from the truth.

14. zoidar

+664
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Exactly, what theology might that be?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019