Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone here in parish or local church ministry had students on field placement or the like? How did you find the experience?

I did five field placements as part of my own formation, so have that experience to look back on, but now am considering the possibility of providing a placement for a student, and wondering how I'm likely to find that in terms of the impact on the parish (positive and negative) and for myself in terms of workload, the role of supervisor etc. Any experiences welcome!

Reactions: ChicanaRose

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did five field placements as part of my own formation, so have that experience to look back on, but now am considering the possibility of providing a placement for a student, and wondering how I'm likely to find that in terms of the impact on the parish (positive and negative) and for myself in terms of workload, the role of supervisor etc.

I'm sure it will mean extra workload, but don't you feel you have something to share?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure it will mean extra workload, but don't you feel you have something to share?

Sure. And I think it would be great for the parish to have a student, too.

I've been given pause in part because key lay people in the parish don't really want to have a student, and I guess that's prompting me to try to think more carefully about possible drawbacks, and whether or not I think they're being reasonable.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been given pause in part because key lay people in the parish don't really want to have a student, and I guess that's prompting me to try to think more carefully about possible drawbacks, and whether or not I think they're being reasonable.

How well can you remember or imagine your younger (student) self? How would your younger self react to your current parish? Would that be a good or a bad thing?

I remember that my younger self was more eager to change things, for example.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How well can you remember or imagine your younger (student) self? How would your younger self react to your current parish? Would that be a good or a bad thing?

I remember that my younger self was more eager to change things, for example.

I think there is often an element of culture shock with field placements, especially if the student doesn't have a lot of church diversity in their background. Every parish is different, and getting your head around what's different in this place - liturgically, in terms of the group dynamics, theologically and so forth - can be disorienting. And then working out how to be authentically yourself and minister effectively in this context is sometimes a big challenge (and where a good supervisor can be wonderful in helping you reflect on all that)

(I did my first placement in a cathedral, so that came with culture shock to a peculiar degree, but I suspect it's true everywhere).

I think I'd be looking for a student with a degree of humility and openness to the placement as a learning experience. Any student who comes in thinking they know it all already, and have all the answers, is just going to be a pain for everyone.

Upvote 0