Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I grew up in Korean Presbyterian churches (KPCA - Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad). The KPCA is a sister denomination of the PCUSA. Needless to say, the KPCA denomination is liberal in theology (allows ordination of female pastors, etc).

I am currently a member of a local Church of the Nazarene (Wesleyan theology), BUT I firmly hold to the Three Forms of Unity (ESPECIALLY the Heidelberg Catechism).

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am still officially PCUSA, but now attend an EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church). I gradated from Olivet Nazarene, and am familiar with Wesleyan theology. I've also been Independent Baptist, Southern Baptist, and Missouri Synod Lutheran.

On a side note, my impression is that the Korean Presbyterians are more theological conservative than the PCUSA. Also, doesn't the Nazarene church allow for the ordination of female pastors?

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am still officially PCUSA, but now attend an EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church). I gradated from Olivet Nazarene, and am familiar with Wesleyan theology. I've also been Independent Baptist, Southern Baptist, and Missouri Synod Lutheran.

On a side note, my impression is that the Korean Presbyterians are more theological conservative than the PCUSA. Also, doesn't the Nazarene church allow for the ordination of female pastors?

Officially, the KPCA (Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad) is a sister denomination of the PCUSA....but yes, you are correct....Koreans in general are more conservative theologically and socially than people from Western countries (USA, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc).

As far as I know, the Church of the Nazarene does in fact allow for the ordination of female pastors. Church of the Nazarene - Women as Clergy

The KPCA denomination in which my father was ordained as a minister also allows for the ordination of female pastors

Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Officially, the KPCA (Korean Presbyterian Church Abroad) is a sister denomination of the PCUSA....but yes, you are correct....Koreans in general are more conservative theologically and socially than people from Western countries (USA, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc).

As far as I know, the Church of the Nazarene does in fact allow for the ordination of female pastors. Church of the Nazarene - Women as Clergy

The KPCA denomination in which my father was ordained as a minister also allows for the ordination of female pastors

I loved your thread title as one theological mutt to another. :)

I grew up Methodist, attended a Presbyterian Church in College, married a Baptist but we joined the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) two weeks before the wedding as it offered the best of both of our childhood theology. I have worked for ecumenical organizations, Methodists, Roman Catholics, charismatics, Episcopalians, and over the years have attended numerous churches, most recently mostly nondenominational. I consider myself a denomination of one as I am not in agreement with every single point promoted by anybody. And yet I do believe devout Christians can be found in all.

We don't have to strictly share each others theologies in order to all together be the Church walking in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I loved your thread title as one theological mutt to another. :)

I grew up Methodist, attended a Presbyterian Church in College, married a Baptist but we joined the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) two weeks before the wedding as it offered the best of both of our childhood theology. I have worked for ecumenical organizations, Methodists, Roman Catholics, charismatics, Episcopalians, and over the years have attended numerous churches, most recently mostly nondenominational. I consider myself a denomination of one as I am not in agreement with every single point promoted by anybody. And yet I do believe devout Christians can be found in all.

We don't have to strictly share each others theologies in order to all together be the Church walking in the Spirit.

Foxfyre, I heartily agree with you. I believe that devout Christians can be found in all Protestant denominations, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Eastern Orthodox Church.

I also agree with you that we don't have to be 100% in theological agreement to be the Church, the Body of Christ.

Thank you so much for your post. I really enjoyed reading about your theological/Christian journey.

May our Lord bless you abundantly!! :):):):)

Reactions: Foxfyre
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You name it and I've probably visited most Christian churches out there but theologically speaking I'm distinctly Lutheran and tie loose ends together with Orthodox traditions.

Upvote 0

Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You name it and I've probably visited most Christian churches out there but theologically speaking I'm distinctly Lutheran and tie loose ends together with Orthodox traditions.

Tigger45, I guessed your theological background correctly.

May our Lord be with you and may He bless you abundantly!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0