• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Theological Liberalism and the Democratic Party

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by joseph_, Oct 9, 2016.

1. joseph_

joseph_ New Member

+11
    Charismatic
    Single
    Hello, I was wondering if you all have any thoughts about the relationship between theological liberalism and practical democratic party media. Do you think it is possible for average people to be exposed to, for instance, teachings that go in the face of theologically centrist or conservative ideas and not end up believing them?

As I see it, the Democratic Party seems to be dangerous. J. Gresham Machen wrote famously that liberalism is the biggest enemy of Christianity in America. I think, if you study the history of the church in the 20th century with Bultmann and all the people who demythologized the bible and the decline of the mainline churches, I think this sounds like a reasonable theory.

Do you think it is possible for people to be liberal politically and be isolated from the underlying doctrinal ideas? The issue of homosexuality comes to mind.

What is the route then for Christians who are concerned about for instance income inequality, obviously an important issue? Should Christians just defer to theological orthodoxy because of the inevitable heresies that associations with liberal politics implies? Or is there some other alternative?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Interestingly, William Jennings Bryan was very conservative theologically.

3. Cearbhall

Cearbhall Well-Known Member

+5,665
    United States
    Other Religion
    Single
    Background: I'm religious and left-leaning. I identify more with libertarianism than liberalism. I definitely vote Democrat more often than Republican.
    I don't really see any trend of liberalism going against the Constitutional rights of Christians. I see liberalism rightfully questioning the precedent of unconstitutional privilege for Christians, which is a good thing. It protects true American values.

4. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,242
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I am a liberal both theologically and politically because that is the only way I can maintain my intellectual and spiritual integrity.

5. faroukfarouk

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    it was Chillingworth who said: 'The Bible and the Bible alone is the religion of Protestants'.

Then there is complete agnosticism.

I'm not agnostic - far from from it - but I find agnosticism at least more rigorous and coherent than the intermediate stages between agnosticism and professed Christianity.

It's really 'Thy word is truth' (John 17.17) versus 'my word is truth'.

6. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,927
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    I don't know if there's a particular correlation so much as people open enough to be honest about where they are willing to make concessions.

If theological liberalism is a name tag to quantify how loosely people interpret and apply Scripture to their own walk with Christ, the majority of Christians are theologically liberal whether they care to admit it or not.

That's what confuses me. People will cast rocks at those that are okay with homosexuality, female pastors, abortion or premarital sex, yet they have no problem with letting unwholesome words fall from their mouths, being judgemental, unforgiving, unmerciful etc.

So it's my opinion that theological liberalism is a social construct created to place a particular group of people in a box and labelling it when in reality it's something that affects equally, or more severely, many of the people that want to label those folks to begin with.

(For the record I am pretty much a fundamentalist/conservative).

7. joseph_

joseph_ New Member

+11
    Charismatic
    Single
    This is very insightful. I agree with you, and this is why, in spite of my sympathies with some of the Left it is hard for me to let go of the disastrous effect that this has on people spiritually. Faith is so much more a living reality than a philosophy, as liberal Christians interpret scripture as being a philosophy without supernatural power or the presence of the Holy Spirit.

8. faroukfarouk

+16,301
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Luther said starkly that if outside of Christ you try to understand your relationship with the world, you will break your neck.

He was one for pithy, hard hitting quotes, but I can see what he means. What many people of the liberal worldview don't understand is that they actually don't own the ball park, not even historically, let alone theologically.

9. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I believe we Christians must realize our calling to be Kingdom citizens in all we do in life.

The challenge we face is if we step out each day as citizens of Christ's Kingdom we shortly realize we are pilgrims in an unholy land.

In the US and most Western countries every citizen has a right to vote. Unfortunately, in the US for a Kingdom citizen the choices are slim or the lesser of two evils.

Together we make quite a voting block. Perhaps we as Christians should separate ourselves from the rat race of the two party system, form our own caucus and have candidates court our vote.---instead of us giving in to their planks.

10. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Chronic political homeless Supporter

+11,300
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    Christianity is Christianity's biggest enemy.

11. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,689
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I feel that conservatives are mistaken on many issues and that Jesus did not take
    the stand that conservatives believe that He did. True conservatism should
    consistently re-evaluate it's stand on issues to ensure that what we have been
    told by leaders is actually biblical. My experience is that a number of social issues
    have not been well examined.

12. JackRT

+16,242
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    On a number of instances in these forums when I self identify as a liberal, I am condemned by people who go on to tell me exactly what I believe and why that is wrong. Problem is, it is usually not what I believe at all. I conclude that liberalism is a straw man in most people's minds. Needless to say, I resent being condemned for what I am not.

13. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  14. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+21,642
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I was going to say that Christians are Christianity's biggest enemies.

15. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    As my university Jesuit professor would say "that depends."

Your statement is intriguing. The apostles warned quite often of the wolves in sheep's clothing. From that aspect your statement is quite insightful and Biblical.

16. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+21,642
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    If you think it's tough in the Western countries, try the Eastern ones, LOL.

17. redleghunter

+33,602
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes even the ones which do have a choice make the same mistakes we do.

18. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    So.....a hundred and twenty years ago, the Democratic Party wasn't so bad. I can agree to that.

19. Albion

Albion Factchecker

+31,949
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    You have it right. Democrats overwhelmingly--the leaders and most important candidates anyway--give lip service to Christian or religious values while feigning great offense if a Republican ever turns out not to be a paragon of virtue. But, in reality, there's hardly a religious, moral, value that the party upholds when push comes to shove. Not respect for life, not religious liberty, not the right of churches not to have their teachings dictated by the government, not freedom to express religious beliefs in a public forum or on public property, etc.

20. JackRT

+16,242
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Interesting article. It informed me of the correct name for my particular brand of heresy. It is good to know what you are.:)