Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Name them. Here's one..My whole life I was told that the Holy Spirit came and went with the saints of the OT.
Meaning that God would come upon them to use them in any specific circumstance and then when He was done, move on,never abiding inside them. Well according to 1 Peter 1:11 that little theory is blown out of the water when Peter said, " trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ IN THEM was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow."

And yes, I've looked those up in the Greek and the meaning definitely refers to "inside".

• Agree
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jeremiah prophesied that the indwelling presence would come with the new covenant.

It takes more than one verse to 'prove' a point...
That's true. But all I need is one more. (everything is established by the mouth of two or three witnesses)

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus breathed on them and said receive the holy spirit - didn't they already have this inside as believing Jews if your claim is correct?
I was referring to prophets and other men of God from the OT that clearly had God working with them. But I'll wait on God for this. I may or may not find a corresponding verse to the one I posted. If I don't then I'll stay silent on it. Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For sure, this is a hard one. I admit, there appears to be more times where the Holy Spirit was said to have come upon people rather than being inside them. And to that I agree. But 2 Samuel 23:2 records an interesting statement concerning David when it says, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue."

Now how can the Holy Spirit speak thru someone if He's not first inside them. Hmm. I'll keep studying. But I wanted to put that out there anyway

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll keep studying.
Well, I think you are doing great, by being willing to evaluate . . . versus holding on to something while you try to prove it is true. So, thank you for being a good example.

I admit, there appears to be more times where the Holy Spirit was said to have come upon people rather than being inside them.
Well, the Holy Spirit, I consider, can be in a person while upon the person. The in is in the heart, the upon is for ministering to others. But if this theory is correct, this still does not prove that the Holy Spirit abided in anyone, before Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to the disciples on Pentecost.

One thing I think of is the Body of Christ was known to be Christ's church after Jesus ascended to Heaven. So, even if the Holy Spirit was in anyone before Jesus came, I would say there was no known Body of Jesus, before Christ.

So, I'm open about that. After all, there were people who walked with God. So, God would spiritually live in those people, somehow, to get them to walk with Him, I would think. So, He was either the Father in them or the Holy Spirit in them, I would say.

And Hebrews 11 clearly says there were people who had faith, back then. And they are our examples of faith; so they were spiritually blessed by God to have such faith which is still our example. So, someone had to be in them to keep them living in faith, I would say.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
^That's all I'm pretty much saying too.
I don't mean to discount the importance of the NT and Pentecost. But there must have been more intimacy involving Him and men than what I've been led to believe. The Holy Spirit isn't a static Being just floating in the air. And the thought that He came and went with OT saints doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus breathed on them and said receive the holy spirit - didn't they already have this inside as believing Jews if your claim is correct?

Context. The giving of the Spirit to the Apostles in John 20 is what gave the Apostles the authority to pronounce sins as forgiven; that is it is part of the pastoral exercising of the office of the Keys.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Context. The giving of the Spirit to the Apostles in John 20 is what gave the Apostles the authority to pronounce sins as forgiven; that is it is part of the pastoral exercising of the office of the Keys.

-CryptoLutheran

Yes... that and the indwelling presence.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For sure, this is a hard one. I admit, there appears to be more times where the Holy Spirit was said to have come upon people rather than being inside them. And to that I agree. But 2 Samuel 23:2 records an interesting statement concerning David when it says, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue."

Now how can the Holy Spirit speak thru someone if He's not first inside them. Hmm. I'll keep studying. But I wanted to put that out there anyway

His word was also on the tongue of the donkey who spoke...

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,229.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's true. But all I need is one more. (everything is established by the mouth of two or three witnesses)

But not everything is established by taking verses out of context in order to build a doctrine.

The Holy Spirit may well have lived in believers, for a time, in the OT - but he was not poured out on all believers until Pentecost. Saul and David had the Holy Spirit, 1 Samuel 10:10, 1 Samuel 16:13, Psalms 51:11
The OT prophets spoke by the Spirit of God. They prophesied that God would one day put his Spirit in people, Ezekiel 37:14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,560.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Name them. Here's one..My whole life I was told that the Holy Spirit came and went with the saints of the OT.
Meaning that God would come upon them to use them in any specific circumstance and then when He was done, move on,never abiding inside them. Well according to 1 Peter 1:11 that little theory is blown out of the water when Peter said, " trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ IN THEM was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow."

And yes, I've looked those up in the Greek and the meaning definitely refers to "inside".
2 Kings 13:21

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.”—Luke 1:41

This is also an instance where someone (before Pentecost) was said to be filled with the Holy Spirit too. Danke Lord for giving me my two.

Upvote 0